Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just an FYI,I just spoke with someone at the number above and he stated that Mobil 1 is (ONLY )required when you are at a track event,(i.e racing),other than that Dexos1 is ok for every day driving and this is approved oil and what dealers are putting in the Z51's and Z06"s.Also 15WD-50 Mobil 1 is the recommended oil and approved for these engines, per the person I spoke with.I'm wondering why they are putting Mobil 1 in the engines from the build process and then Dexos1, a little confusing to me.:confused:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I never read where the oil put in at BG was Mobil 1.....it may be, but I've never seen that confirmed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Isn't this a reprint of what you are looking for? It is part of post #1 :

To: Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC Dealers
The 2014-2015 Chevrolet Complete Care Program for Corvettes was designed to take into account the preferred Mobil 1 oil choice of many Corvette owners. As a reminder, dealers are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on ALL 2014-2015 Corvettes through the Chevrolet Complete Care Program. Current reimbursement levels for Corvette are based on Mobil 1 usage. Please remind all personnel that only Mobil 1 should be used. In addition, please refer to GlobalConnect message # G_0000205212 for details on dry sump equipped (Z51, Z52, and Z06) Corvettes.
In the event a customer paid an upcharge for Mobil 1 under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program, customers should be directed to contact Executive CAC at (855) 435-7284 or email [email protected] for reimbursement.
I don't know...Is this the reprint? I'll let you know when I'm able to see the official GM document. Sorry for my skepticism, but I'm not going to assume the correctness of someone's interpretation, although it may be exact, print it and use it to challenge an opposing GM service manager.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Just an FYI,I just spoke with someone at the number above and he stated that Mobil 1 is (ONLY )required when you are at a track event,(i.e racing), other than that Dexos1 is ok for every day driving and this is approved oil and what dealers are putting in the Z51's and Z06"s. Also 15WD-50 Mobil 1 is the recommended oil and approved for these engines, per the person I spoke with. I'm wondering why they are putting Mobil 1 in the engines from the build process and then Dexos1, a little confusing to me.:confused:
That information is not correct. Per the Owners Manual:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity
grade for the vehicle. Do not use
other viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 15W-50 engine oil.

For track use, 15W-50 is correct. For non-track use, 5W-30 is the correct viscosity.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Update...

A few days ago, I called (855)435-7284, GM Executive Office, regarding GlobalConnect message #G 0000208346, dated 1/13/15 as stated in the OP. I just wanted to get an official copy from GM. I got their response today. They are not able to find this message. I'm told it does not exist in their system but it is still being investigated and they will call me when they have more information. But, I was informed that GM will reimburse me if I pay an up-charge for Mobil 1 when I have my oil changed and they will be contacting my dealer accordingly.

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
Thanks for the update Charlie Dog. Glad you will be reimbursed. It is unfortunate that the confusion still continues more than 7 months after GM and Mobile 1 made the formal agreement impacting our Stingrays.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I asked the dealer other day when I was down there and they acted like I was stupid for even bringing up a 500 mile oil change? Is this correct and needs to be done?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I asked the dealer other day when I was down there and they acted like I was stupid for even bringing up a 500 mile oil change? Is this correct and needs to be done?
Did you read post #1? If you have a Z51 or Z06 it is required, confirmed by the bulletin printed above as well as a talk given by Harlan Charles at Daytona last week.

The only stupid one here is your dealer.......

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Did you read post #1? If you have a Z51 or Z06 it is required, confirmed by the bulletin printed above as well as a talk given by Harlan Charles at Daytona last week.

The only stupid one here is your dealer.......
Some dealer service reps have ego issues and just don't like being told by the customer that this is what they need to do. Eventually it finally gets straightened out, but after a lot tug-o-war. Customers need to stand their ground, firmly but politely.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Some dealer service reps have ego issues and just don't like being told by the customer that this is what they need to do. Eventually it finally gets straightened out, but after a lot tug-o-war. Customers need to stand their ground, firmly but politely.
I have another way of looking at it, I take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm at my dealer right now getting an oil change and we searched together on the GM Global Connect site and couldn't find it listed for the past six weeks or by searching the number all different formats. He said it could be a message sent through e-mail but not posted as a bulletin on the site. Either way, they are giving me Mobil 1. Just a heads up if anyone else runs into this problem.

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
Welcome to our forum C7Z51!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have another way of looking at it, I take my business elsewhere.
Me too. I am not going to go 100 miles to a dealer with an attitude. I am going to give my local dealer a try, at least for routine oil changes and the like. What he may lack in car specific experience, he has in interest and enthusiasm.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
Thank you for finding and posting this mjw930. It is straight forward and clear with regard to dry sump engines and the 500 mile oil/filter change along with a total of 5 free changes in the first two years. It however does not mention Mobile 1 that I could see.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Thank you for finding and posting this mjw930. It is straight forward and clear with regard to dry sump engines and the 500 mile oil/filter change along with a total of 5 free changes in the first two years. It however does not mention Mobile 1 that I could see.
Correct, that's a second memo with a different number. This was in response to a post where the dealer said they had no information on the 500 mile oil change interval.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The problem with not being able to find the message may have to do with the date, it was actually dated 11/24/14. Here's a picture of the actual PDF from the GM system since you can't attach PDF's on this forum. You dealer can also try navigating to this internal GM site: https://gmmsgau.iw.gm.com:8513/en_US/GMNA/United_States/Messages/Service/Service_Operations/G_0000205212.htm
You CAN attach PDF's on this forum. In the Reply box, click the "Go Advanced" button. From there, scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button:
Manage Attachments

Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

21 - 40 of 57 Posts