Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What minor mods without effecting warranty?
Like computer chip, cold air intake, etc. Whose doing minor mods?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I'll be doing an intake and it won't affect warranty, BUT if your dealer wants to turn it down, you'll fight to prove your point. Easier to take it off before you go in for service. No chip or anything else except wheels in my case. I'll probably do 20-30 mods or so, but all are appearance as I'm not performance person. My build thread here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...en-e-s-c7-corvette-stingray-build-thread.html

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm doing the cold air intake as soon as K&N releases their C7 product. I'm also debadging all execpt the cross flags, tinting the windows, lowering the car (I think Glen E provided the steps on this one) and I'm also using the 3M wrap product to black out the entire top and rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Please wait on the K&N..it's over hyped and there are far better ones coming from real companies that do this for a living...RotoFab and CAI, Inc are two of the best...

https://www.coldairinductions.com/

k&N uses an oiled filter which is not the way to go...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great info again Glen. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Please wait on the K&N..it's over hyped and there are far better ones coming from real companies that do this for a living...RotoFab and CAI, Inc are two of the best...

https://www.coldairinductions.com/

k&N uses an oiled filter which is not the way to go...
Cold Air uses an oiled filter too. However, I believe the base material used retains the oil better than the K&N. The big knock on K&N started when some of the Bimmer groups started seeing oil deposits on their MAF sensors over a decade ago and were all over the Internet bad mouthing the product. Others piled on and the rest is history. Personally, I'm not a K&N fan, I think there are better filters out there, some which are wet and others which aren't. The guys at Cold Air make great products, I would use them in a heart beat.

Reactions: ddelfino and lui

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oil from an air filter isn't going to cause an issue at all, a lot more engine oil will be going into the intake daily then the life of an air filter element. The PCV routes crank case pressure and oil from the heads into the intake.

So, I wouldn't have an issue with a K&N and they are good filters. I wouldn't say they are the best but they are better then stock. Plus I think every reusable air filter is oiled to some degree

·
Registered
873 Posts
To the OP, GM hasn't used chips in probably 20 years. Tuning is done using a computer of some sort (including handheld programmers) to modify the programming of the ECU. And yes, GM will know about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just replaced an air flow sensor on a truck - fouled with oil from aftermarket air cleaner.

I hear you can just hit them with carb cleaner but didn't bother trying.

Either way, pass on the oiled air cleaners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will nitrous effect warranty? Haha of course it will for the engine.. But not for the stereo..get what I'm saying..The engine is most likely the last thing that will fail so quit worrying about mods and do what you want to do..if I Blow my engine with nitrous by the way you can bet your bottom dollar I'm pulling it off before i roll in..and I will have a blank look on my face..no don't know what happened I was just driving it to church.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going to work with Diablo on developing a tune for C7....and watching for ProCharger to come up with a blowe that has adjustable boost from inside car...they have it for 5th Gen Camaro and it is really incredible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts