Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida (lots of humidity), I've got what appears to be mold stains around my two air vents left and right of the steering wheel. I've tried a number of cleaners, but no luck. Anyone else ever experience this? Any chance it would be covered on the warranty (2 year old car)?

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
Welcome to our forum jrock. If you can take a picture or two and post How to post a picture it would help our suggestions. Since I live where humidity hardly exists (outside of Vegas, Mojave desert) above single digits, I have never experienced anything similar, but many of our members live in similar conditions to yours.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,118 Posts
Try a little undiluted white vinegar, test a small spot first, use nothing with bleach in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to our forum jrock. If you can take a picture or two and post How to post a picture it would help our suggestions. Since I live where humidity hardly exists (outside of Vegas, Mojave desert) above single digits, I have never experienced anything similar, but many of our members live in similar conditions to yours.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
That looks more like overspray of some sort (like from WD40 or disinfectant) rather than mold. I'd would try some automotive dash/vinyl cleaner.

Reactions: autoxal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe it's overspray as I never spray inside the car, always pre-spray the cloth outside. I've tried white distilled vinegar, marine mold cleaner (mild), and auto detail cleaner (Grigot's). I'm open to trying something else but it appears the stains are permanent now.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,118 Posts
Test a small spot in an inconspicuous place with mineral spirits first to see if plastic degrades, another words, rubs off on rag. If not, give it a shot.

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
jrock: have you taken you C7 in for service recently? Many service centers are 'sanitizing' interiors, same is true for some car wash detailers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point and a possibility, but since my last service was in Feb I don't believe that would be in play. I did all my own interior cleaning since so I'm at a loss to explain the source.

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
Unfortunately, if there was some sort of over-spray, once it sat in your Florida sun it would have done similar damage IMO.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would post your pictures on a detailing site, like Autogeek, and seek professional detailers input. They may have some insight on how to “erase” those spots. If they are stained, I’m sure they could give you a recommendation for next steps for appearance,

Reactions: Racer_X and jsvette

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't believe it's overspray as I never spray inside the car, always pre-spray the cloth outside. I've tried white distilled vinegar, marine mold cleaner (mild), and auto detail cleaner (Grigot's). I'm open to trying something else but it appears the stains are permanent now.
I got something similar to this using a interior cleaner. Never sprayed in the car, just sprayed onto the microfober, but it left those spots all over. I just used a different interior cleaner, and they went away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts