Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 1LT Checking under hood noticed a few acorns in the cowl drain tube ? on the passenger side. I felt the acorns in the tube that is the size of a bicycle tire tube with a slit in the lower end. Where are mice getting into the windshield cowl area so they can try to store acorns and they roll down into this tube ? Because the tube is partially closed at the lower end, except for a slit, the acorns stayed in the tube. I want to find a mouse access point to the cowl area ! Little boogers may have started a mouse nest in the cowl area ? HELP

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Possibly the acorns are dropping onto your windshield and eventually rolling into the drain as you drive around. However if it is a rodent: Even if you are parked outside, but have access to an outlet, you might want to consider a electronic rodent repellent like Victor Heavy-Duty Sonic PestChaser Pro Rodent Repeller M792. Very effective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caught a mouse last night with Victor snap trap placed under front of car. Mouse scat on top of engine & air cleaner cover. Where there is one mouse there will be others. Electricity 50' away, car cover on vehicle parked on cement drive when not driven so not likely acorns falling into cowl around wipers. Would like to find their access point to the cowl area. Poison might kill mice inside car. Had that trouble with wife's car, stinks until body dries out somewhere behind dash area then stinky on rainy/damp days for long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use several Bird-X Yard Guard units and they really work. They come with a power cord, but you can use (4) C-size alkaline batteries, and they last a long time - at least a year minimum. I'd put one under the rear of the car pointed to the center-front. I used to get these on Amazon for less than $30, but it seems they have gone up. Check around for the best price. I live in a rural area and using these in my garages and other places, I have had no rodent problems.

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Welcome to our forum RdRunr!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah yes... Way back we had an Oldsmobile station wagon that had carburetor problems due to a huge nest mice had made around the linkage. And apparently they traveled to the back of the wagon through the frame and built a second nest under the spare tire!

And in my 2014 C7 I've seen a lizard come up the windshield (on the outside) after starting the engine. I stopped and took a piece of cardboard to chase it off.

Those critters get in everywhere! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be sure you get them. Peanut butter on traps works. Just paid $845 to get the wheel sensor wires and other wires replaced that were chewed up by rat. Big “rat”. Got him the night the truck was in shop. I leave two traps activated. Didn’t get the Vette.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now have a Bird-X Yard Guard under the car, 8 packs of botanical repellant in the engine area, 3 Victor snap traps close by, 2 Tomcat mouse glue boards in engine area, and a trail camera at ground level in front of the car. Caught 2 mice on a glue board on top of the radiator shroud next to a botanical repellant bag. Repellant mfg. says glue boards have an attractant in glue and draw in mice while repellant can't repell properly. Yard Guard operates on batteries away from a.c. power with motion sensor. Mice may be too small to activate sensor. Local gardening radio program listeners offered advice of using peppermint oil as a repellant. Essential oil of peppermint can be purchased at Walmart or on-line. Now trying to add peppermint oil onto botanical repellant packs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts