Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently learned of MSD's intake manifold for the LT1. "Independent" sources claim increases in HP as much as 30 over stock. This all seems pretty crazy to me.

Has anyone here any experience with this ATOMIC AIRFORCE MANIFOLD LT1 ? If so what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
No experience, but some general thoughts:'

An engine is basically an air pump. The more air you can pump through the engine, the more power you can make. The key word being through. Freeing up the intake side won't accomplish a lot if the exhaust can't flow more. Is the stock exhaust good enough that it can flow significantly more air than it needs to on the stock engine? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.

Similarly, changing just the exhaust will allow more air to flow through, but if the intake is still limited, the benefit of the exhaust will be, too.

Does MSD recommend a tune to go with the intake? If not, I doubt it flows enough extra air to provide that much power.

It's possible the MSD intake flows enough air to gain 30 hp, and it's possible the stock exhaust flow enough air to support the intake. But I suspect you'll really need to improve both sides of the equation to really make it work. And if you do replace both, you probably really will need a tune.

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed the MSD intake on my car this weekend. Early results are improved throttle response and I was able to break the rear end loose at about 60 mph before the diff corrected the wheel spin. I'm not planning on putting it back on the dyno until I do a major mod but so far my butt dyno tells me it was worth it.

Reactions: somethincreativ
1 - 4 of 4 Posts