Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the email from Chris Sweeny to begin the process for my upcoming museum delivery!!! We will be flying into Nashville. Any pointers / advice about the experience would be helpful. Also if you have any ideas about what we should see in the area before heading back to Eastern NC let us know. Mammouth Cave National park is on our list so far, and the Tail of the Dragon back across the mtns is part of the plan. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Ed and Sherry Tyer

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It sounds like you have the trip planned out well. Depending on your predilection to bourbon you may also want to consider a side trip to some of the distilleries within a day trip from BG.

To save a few $ reserve your Enterprise one way rental without using the museums special code, it will save you about $80.00. Just make sure to put in a late return, say around 5pm since they won't call enterprise to come pick up the car until after you have taken delivery.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would recommend putting the over the counter GM splash guards on the car before you leave BG. They are easy to install, about a 10 minute job, and there are a number of older threads on this forum, just do a search. You do need a 7mm wrench or socket. Just order them from one of the forum sponsors and have them dropped shipped to the museum. The people there are great to work with. BTW, they will not let you put them on the car while it is on display, but they are easy to put on in the parking lot as soon as you remove it from Corvette Blvd.

I also did not want to check any bags when I flew into Nashville. So, I was concerned about getting through security with my license plate and a few tools. So, I put together a small package with these items, and some things like window cleaner, detail spray, etc, plus some MF towels. I used some small bottles for this so I could keep the package small. Then sent it to the museum. I coordinated this with them before hand and when they received my package, they sent me an email that it had arrived. I did this about a week before my delivery date and it allowed me to just fly through airport security.

I hope this helps!

Rich

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
I would recommend putting the over the counter GM splash guards on the car before you leave BG. They are easy to install, about a 10 minute job, and there are a number of older threads on this forum, just do a search. You do need a 7mm wrench or socket. Just order them from one of the forum sponsors and have them dropped shipped to the museum. The people there are great to work with. BTW, they will not let you put them on the car while it is on display, but they are easy to put on in the parking lot as soon as you remove it from Corvette Blvd.

I also did not want to check any bags when I flew into Nashville. So, I was concerned about getting through security with my license plate and a few tools. So, I put together a small package with these items, and some things like window cleaner, detail spray, etc, plus some MF towels. I used some small bottles for this so I could keep the package small. Then sent it to the museum. I coordinated this with them before hand and when they received my package, they sent me an email that it had arrived. I did this about a week before my delivery date and it allowed me to just fly through airport security.

I hope this helps!

Rich
Alternatively, once you pick up your rental car in Nashville you can stop by any of a number of stores and pick up things like windshield wiper fluid, RainX, a bucket, and any other liquids you think you might want for your drive home. That way you can stick with your carry on luggage and license plate (they will gladly put the plate on while on the floor at the NCM) without shipping anything ahead of time. That's what I did when I picked up RedHot.

Reactions: C7 Redneck

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Do a good walkaround. You will be OK however The museum folks can get it fixed across the street if a need arises. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I forgot about the splash guards. I did mine in the parking lot, they fit in my luggage just fine if you take them out of the box they ship in. 7mm socket with a plastic pry tool that I really didn't need.

splash_guard_install.jpg

·
Registered
810 Posts
The museum will allow you to coordinate having the splashguards shipped to them, and will even have them on your car for you when you arrive for a small fee. If you decided to do them yourself, bring something soft to kneel on. I brought a spongy kneeler thing for gardeners. That pavement gets HOT (and that was back in May). As for the rental to get there, it was cheaper for me to rent a roundtrip and return it to airport. My buddy flew in to be with us and he drove it back to airport for us. Or you can just have your wife return it while you follow her in Vette, then she jumps in and you're off to the Tail. I drove to Eastern TN and stayed in a nice hotel in Alcoa TN so I would be near the Tail the next morning. Highly suggest this, so you are well rested and can get to the Tail in the morning before traffic gets heavy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh, no problem flying from Newark to Nashville with tools in carry on. Just bring a small ratchet, because you are only allowed to bring on tools that are 7 inches or less in length. I brought a prying tool that separates from the handle to make it small in my carryon. (for removing the factory 'splashguards'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you get to the museum the day before delivery, search out Dave in PDI and give him the splash guards. He will install them that evening or during you factory visit. Cost is 25.00 and well worth the price. You can also get the guards to him the day of delivery and he will find a way to install them before you leave the museum. Have fun and enjoy every moment of your experience.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The museum will allow you to coordinate having the splashguards shipped to them, and will even have them on your car for you when you arrive for a small fee. If you decided to do them yourself, bring something soft to kneel on. I brought a spongy kneeler thing for gardeners. That pavement gets HOT (and that was back in May). As for the rental to get there, it was cheaper for me to rent a roundtrip and return it to airport. My buddy flew in to be with us and he drove it back to airport for us. Or you can just have your wife return it while you follow her in Vette, then she jumps in and you're off to the Tail. I drove to Eastern TN and stayed in a nice hotel in Alcoa TN so I would be near the Tail the next morning. Highly suggest this, so you are well rested and can get to the Tail in the morning before traffic gets heavy.
I looked at the option to return the rental to the airport but with the standard one way rate of $88 vs. the "negotiated" rate of $180 it made the effort to go back to Nashville seem unwarranted since the route I wanted to take took us east then south to Knoxville. Stayed in the same hotel you did on the "dragon" discount rate (thanks for the tip on the special rate).

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I believe there is a ground transportation shuttle service between Nashville Airport and Bowling Green

Home

·
18,670 Posts
Such great ideas in previous posts. Some more for your consideration.

*If you are spending the night before in Nashville, allow plenty of time for Nashville's traffic. While we usually make it from the airport to the Museum in 1 hour, 15 minutes, once took three hours, once took five hours due to a fatality with the interstate closed.
* Even better, if you have a choice/time, recommending spending the night in Bowling Green (eating at Rafferty's Restaurant, exit. 22, Scottsville Rd. exit off I-65)
* You have two times to start your delivery, 7:45 and 10:45 AM. We always choose the 7:45 time.
* Suggest, if you can, you get to the Museum the day before by 1:00, and visit the Museum that afternoon in a self-guided tour (and some of the time, especially for the 7:45 deliveries, your car will be placed on "Corvette Blvd. for you to see it that afternoon), and you will also have plenty of time to enjoy/shop at the Museum store. That way, the next day, you can take as long as you want doing the Plant tour, seeing everything at your pace, then having tons more time for the "presentation of your car."
* If you start your delivery at 7:45, then, after you come back from the Plant, the "Corvette Cafe" -- just feet away from your car, is a good place to grab a bit to eat, especially the "wraps."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here is my plan Fly into Nashville... we arrive at 8pm...our only real option. Drive to BG for hotel. Pick the 7:45 delivery. Have the splash guards, a 7mm socket ,a quarter inch drive ratchet and a plastic putty knife. I do my own service work so I think this can be my first DIY project. Having wife drive back to Nashville with rental is not a good idea since we are heading in the opposite direction toward Mammoth Cave National Park. So more info on transportation options will help me finalize my plans. How much does the rental car cost when you go through the museum? ( the flight from Greenville NC for both of us is only about $300) The shuttle sounds like an attractive idea. Note.. we will arrive late one day and arrive the next am at the Museum. And thanks in advance for all your help.
I will order the splash guards tonight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok second night of trip at Spongie Acres.... Put on splash guards in their garage. You guys are great! Then off the next am to Mammouth Cave. Then get on Blue Ridge Parkway heading south toward the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok second night of trip at Spongie Acres.... Put on splash guards in their garage. You guys are great! Then off the next am to Mammouth Cave. Then get on Blue Ridge Parkway heading south toward the Tail of the Dragon.
You'll love it. We stayed in Spongies Pride room. I installed my guards their garage too. It's way more than a "garage". More like a house and 3 massive drive through bays.

Make sure to leave time for breakfast. It's great. Stay two days if you can. You won't want to leave. : )

We're planning on taking a detour through BG on our next road trip to the Smokies just to hang out there. Best B&B we've stayed in and there have been quite a few.

View of their "front yard" from the room.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/austin-rgbjr/Spongie Acres/IMG_5241_zps3d45a504.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Do a good walkaround. You will be OK however The museum folks can get it fixed across the street if a need arises. cutnout aka Charlie
If you don't inspect the car until after the tour and museum how would they have time to fix anything?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
If you don't inspect the car until after the tour and museum how would they have time to fix anything?
As posted in the other thread, the car will be out on the line the afternoon before so there is plenty of time but honestly, I have never seen a post on any forum where a car made it onto the floor with something getting past Dave's PDI guys, they are pros and know exactly how everything should be. Don't obsess over all the things that can go wrong.

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
As posted in the other thread, the car will be out on the line the afternoon before so there is plenty of time but honestly, I have never seen a post on any forum where a car made it onto the floor with something getting past Dave's PDI guys, they are pros and know exactly how everything should be. Don't obsess over all the things that can go wrong.
Agree with Mark. Once your car is showcased on the NCM floor it has been very carefully checked over. RedHot was in superb condition and I found nothing when looking it over (or after getting it back to Vegas). :cool:

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have stripes, check them thoroughly. I have blemishes on mine that made it thru the check, and now I am having a hard time finding a local dealer to resolve the issue ( they don't have the expertise). I saw one mark while there but didn't have enough time to get it fixed at the plant, found two more when I got home. Wish I would have made the time now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts