Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback on picking your car up at the museum, is it worth the price, & additional expense you will incur?

·
Registered
957 Posts
My husband and I picked up Foxy this past Tuesday during the arctic blast, it was 4 degrees when we arrived in BG and 21 degrees when we left about 1 the next day, except for the cold it was a most enjoyable experience. We arrived around 4 pm on Monday the 6th and checked in with the staff and toured the museum on our own (you can do this the next day after your tour of the plant but we wanted to leave during the warmest part of the day) Dan was our museum representative and he greeting us at 7:30 Tuesday morning, after introductions, we watched a short video, then we were taken to the plant and given a tour of the facility (it took about 2 hours). My husband, my husband's friend David and I really enjoyed the tour it was very interesting and informative. When we returnedwe did some paperwork, then Dan (he was AWESOME) spent about 2 hours with me one on one, teaching me things about my C7. I would recommend the experience to anyone, every corvette owner should do it at least once.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love this. I'm doing the museum experience as well. Ordered my Laguna Lover last week. Wife and I will be doing this together. Totally planning this 12 hour drive to take 3-4 days on purpose.

S/F
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
75 Posts
I never gave it thought before reading these threads. It seems to me the tour of the factory in itself would be worth the effort. As a very young boy, visiting family in Detroit, I was taken to a auto factory and given a tour. As i recall it was a wonderful (which factory i can't say). If you have the time and treasury it seems like a great event .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend the museum delivery! My father and I flew to Nashville and took delivery in BG on dec 10th. We took our time driving back to Houston over the following couple of days making memories to last a lifetime.

The staff at the museum were incredible and really made it a personal experience. The plant tour was also very cool and being a delivery recipient they custom tailor the tour to your needs, wants, and interests.

If this is a possibility for you (or anyone else) definitely take the time. I cannot say enough good things about it. PM me or reply with any questions you may have. I wouldn't mind sharing my experience and offering advice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend the museum delivery! My father and I flew to Nashville and took delivery in BG on dec 10th. We took our time driving back to Houston over the following couple of days making memories to last a lifetime.

The staff at the museum were incredible and really made it a personal experience. The plant tour was also very cool and being a delivery recipient they custom tailor the tour to your needs, wants, and interests.

If this is a possibility for you (or anyone else) definitely take the time. I cannot say enough good things about it. PM me or reply with any questions you may have. I wouldn't mind sharing my experience and offering advice.

TX
My wife and I plan on flying out to BG sometime in April to pick up our vert so I have several logistical questions for you. Having never been to Nashville we plan on spending a little time there before we head west. Do you recommend spending 2 nights in BG, the night before delivery and the night after delivery or is it feasible (wise) to leave the museum and head straight for Nashville and spend the night there? I'm not sure if I want to start off with a new car driving at night on unfamiliar roads but I can do it if necessary. As far as routes taken leaving Nashville I assume you went south out of Little Rock where we will be continuing west on 40 as our best route to take, are there any road concerns through this area?
My last question which you might know is how many people can join you on the plant tour? I know the museum tour is open to the public but I'm not sure about the plant tour. Besides my wife my daughter and her husband wants to join us and my sister and her husband have expressed interest as well as they own a Corvette specialty repair shop in the Bay Area.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us. We view this trip as a once in a lifetime chance to do something special and are really excited about our new Vette as well. It's been 34 years since we sold the last one, man time sure flies!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Smokey

We flew into Nashville the night before delivery and stayed in downtown. This worked for us as our delivery was the later scheduled time slot. After delivery we drove straight to Shelbyville, TN as we toured the Jack Daniels distillery the following morning.

The roads around BG and Nashville are mostly asphalt in good to excellent condition. We encountered some ice and snow when we drove through but nothing serious even for TX drivers haha.

I was a bit concerned about driving the car at night but as I believe anyone will tell u here the C7 drives like a dream and much smoother than any vette I've driven. It ended up being a non issue for me and I would assume the same for you.

As for the plant tour, it will be a personal experience with those you wish to bring with you. Each delivery is assigned a "delivery technician" that will be with you all day. Ours was VERY knowledgable and accommodating. You run the show and he is there to make your experience the best possible. The tech, my father, and I were the only ones in our group (I assume that your tour will only consist of those you bring with u). The tour moved at our pace and he had the opportunity to stop and ask questions as we pleased.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and have an awesome delivery!

·
Registered
209 Posts
TX
My wife and I plan on flying out to BG sometime in April to pick up our vert so I have several logistical questions for you. Having never been to Nashville we plan on spending a little time there before we head west. Do you recommend spending 2 nights in BG, the night before delivery and the night after delivery or is it feasible (wise) to leave the museum and head straight for Nashville and spend the night there? I'm not sure if I want to start off with a new car driving at night on unfamiliar roads but I can do it if necessary. As far as routes taken leaving Nashville I assume you went south out of Little Rock where we will be continuing west on 40 as our best route to take, are there any road concerns through this area?
My last question which you might know is how many people can join you on the plant tour? I know the museum tour is open to the public but I'm not sure about the plant tour. Besides my wife my daughter and her husband wants to join us and my sister and her husband have expressed interest as well as they own a Corvette specialty repair shop in the Bay Area.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us. We view this trip as a once in a lifetime chance to do something special and are really excited about our new Vette as well. It's been 34 years since we sold the last one, man time sure flies!
We were told we could bring up to 4 guests. We drove to BG and spent the night then drove to Nashville after the delivery. There are a lot of great things to see and do in Nashville. I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love Nashville, good food, the bars are safe late at night. I went with a GF to the Eagle's concert a few months back and was really impressed with how clean downtown was and how safe we felt out late after the concert.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Great info - Thanks everyone!

·
18,670 Posts
We were told we could bring up to 4 guests.
I know this worked out perfectly for "tzmama", but to just insure no one arrives with themselves (couple) and up to four guests, the exact language from the National Corvette Museum are:

The Delivery: The customer arrives at the NCM with up to three additional guests of age 7 and up, total (4) and is welcomed with signs commemorating the event.

Sure would not want anyone to go to Bowling Green and be left out of the fantastic experience.

·
Registered
136 Posts
TX
I took delivery of my vert on 12/11. My wife and I spent one evening in BG, which was the night before delivery. We had met a few people on various Corvette forums that were taking delivery the same day, so we coordinated a caravan out of BG. The day of delivery, the museum people do everything they can to make this YOUR day, even with 7 other people taking delivery at the same time. Your delivery technician will spend whatever time you need, whether that is during the plant tour, the museum tour, or with the car. They do a great job! After taking delivery, we had 3 new verts headed south to Nashville. We all spent the night at the Opryland Hotel. Huge place, with lots of stuff going on, and it is not cheap to stay there. But it was a nice place to party a little the evening of our delivery. We had decided that this would be a good stop since we had no idea exactly what time we would leave the museum and it is only about an hour drive south. Plus, we wanted to make sure that if one of us had an issue with one of the cars, we were in a large enough city that we could probably get to a decent Chevy dealer for service. Fortunately, none of us needed to do this. The second day, one of the cars headed west for Arizona, and the other two headed south to Florida. So, I would not be concerned about driving down to Nashville. Very easy drive and not a bad town to spend an evening or two.

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not doing the Museum tour, but will be there next week for my Buyer 's Tour. Taking my 10 year old son and it should be a blast. My father worked for Ford for many years and I have great memories of wandering around the Kansas City plant with him. Yes, I think it's overpriced, but also think the experience with my son and seeing our Stingray put together will make it plenty worth it.

Reactions: Vette#3

·
18,670 Posts
I'm picking up my Black Z51 Coupe this Friday Jan 24th @ 10:30
Anyone else going to be there ?
You will have a fantastic Museum Delivery experience! Enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We were told we could bring up to 4 guests. We drove to BG and spent the night then drove to Nashville after the delivery. There are a lot of great things to see and do in Nashville. I would highly recommend it.
You can have up to a total of four people. That would be two guests with you and your wife. I definitely would recommend the Museum delivery. Show up the day before and pick a 7:30am delivery time. We had the 10:30 time and didn't have enough time for the Museum tour. We spent over four hours on the plant tour. It was great. We stayed an extra night and left the next morning. You can see a full review of my delivery at http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-owners-logbook/2041-my-museum-delivery-drive-home-lot-pics.html.

I highly recommend staying at the 1869 Homestead B&B. The innkeeper Jan Strode and her husband Wendell, Executive Director of the National Corvette Museum, are the nicest people you will ever meet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts