Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else been getting a musty or mildew smell when the AC system comes on. Smell goes away shortly after it has been running.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,664 Posts
Sitting for a while in a damp area? They make sprays (Lysol, etc.) you can spray into the air induction areas to kill whatever growth that may have formed. Should take care of that. Or could be something in the carpets or under. Another source may be the cabin filter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only when the air comes on. Going to check the filter when I get home. I live in Kansas City and it's been pretty humid.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Turn the A/C compressor off a minute or two before you park, but leave the fan on high. That will blow the condensation out, and on the next start you will have no musty smell.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Do you hear condensate dripping on your exhaust (under the hood) after driving with your AC on? If not, your condensate drain tube could be clogged up and your growing mildew in the cowl area.

·
1,400 Posts
Do you hear condensate dripping on your exhaust (under the hood) after driving with your AC on? If not, your condensate drain tube could be clogged up and your growing mildew in the cowl area.
I had a Thunderbird that had a clogged tube and it really stunk after awhile.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think about it. I haven't heard the dripping on to the exhaust in awhile. Might have to take it to the dealer. Have to go anyway to get the seat memory fix.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok so before my appointment with the dealer this Monday I thought let's check the filter for the ac system. I took it out and there was grass in there and a hole like it was chewed through. I think it was a mouse!!! I had seen one in the garage but didn't think to much about it. The smell has gone away ( which smelled like wet grass) I hope there is no mouse remains in the vents. So going to have them see if there is anything in there.
In the mean time operation find and kill Mickey is underway!!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Freaking rodents. I don't know how much I've spent over the years fixing stuff they ruined. For some reason, the ground hogs here love chewing up the wiring to the rear wheel ABS sensors. They targeted my Dodge Ram p/u and a Honda Civic in the driveway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok brought my c7 to the dealer today for the smell. It turned out it was a mouse. Building a nest in the ac system. Looking at over 2000 in damages. Having to take the dash out to clean vent blower and condenser or I can go with the half ass fix by just blowing it out. They already have been at it all day. Soooo ?????

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Sorry to read that. For the past 9 years I have been using some electronic rodent chasers in my garages with excellent success. The units I bought were 'Victor M792 Heavy-Duty Sonic PestChaser.' We live on a golf course so mice and rats are not that uncommon. Have had zero since using these.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where would I get something like that ? Does it effect pets like dogs cats or rabbits. It's like a dam zoo here

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
and don't forget good old fashion traps or poison (not a fan of poisons due to having a few pets). I live one house away from open space and we catch 2-4 mice a year in our garage (only caught one mouse in 7 years in the basement). Trapping keeps them from getting out of hand. We keep 4 traps set at all times in the garage and a couple in the basement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My garage is full of traps now.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
My garage is full of traps now.

LOL. Make sure you don't trap yourself!