Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Happy Father's day to everyone who's a Father, me it's just a father to two wonderful rescue pups! But today is my birthday as well, 60 years. I'm happy to say I don't all of the sudden feel old, but it does take an extra cup of coffee, or two, to get the old internal LT1 up to operating temperature these days.

I dropped the girl off at Stillen for the upgrade on Friday: ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1497806586.641329.jpg

That experience was awesome, I was there early before they opened, but they invited me in, took good care of me, and went and found "Mike" to write up the car get things going. Here's what the garage looked like as they opened things up for the morning :

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1497806736.159056.jpg

Notice the Ford GT in the background, they were rebuilding the transmission in it. They also had a Nissan GT-R with the engine out and the front suspension off the car, Mike said the owner was doing a 100k upgrade to it. Wow. And here I thought I was going big spending 10k 馃檪. Clearly these guys know their stuff, and Mike was fantastic...he probably spent 15 minutes talking to me about what was going on in the shop, answering all the questions I was asking like an excited teen with his first car. He also showed me a Procharger supercharged California smog legal Mustang GT convertible with 650 RWHP that they just finished, it was incredible. And yes, I meant rear wheel horsepower. This thing was stealth, if you saw it on the street you wouldn't know, and it would eat your proverbial lunch!

I'm even more excited about getting the car done now - talking to Mike, seeing how professional the shop was, and seeing the other cars they were working on, I know my Blue Girl is in good hands. Oh, and tomorrow I'm heading to Vegas from my Bullhead City home to get a tattoo at the Counting Cars parlor in the Rio Hotel....it's not a car, sorry everyone, it's a girl in a bikini riding a Fender Stratocaster guitar (I was a studio musician for years in the 70's and 80's before getting a "real job"). I'm excited about that too! Have a great day all you Fathers!

Administrator
Happy birthday Guitar Man! :eek:nthego:

Registered
Happy birthday, Steve! What a shop - I can't wait to read about the results!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I've been driving the car with the supercharger for about a week now, trying to figure out a way to catalog all of my impressions. Cutting to the chase, this was absolutely the right thing to do, it made a great car greater, and in the reality of day-to-day driving met all the requirements I had in my mind, even those I wasn't sure it would meet. I also had Stillen install an MGW shifter on it, and for those that have thought about it and hesitated, DON'T....DO IT. When my wife, who way prefers automatics says "this shifter is great" that's all you need to know. Ok, I'm going to put this all out there in bullet point form, I think that's going to be the easiest way to read this....here goes:

*It looks and drives like it's a factory setup. Extremely smooth, smoother than factory to be honest, I think it's all that extra torque.
*It shakes much less at idle. I know that may be a strange comment to make, and I do like the "hot rodness" of a shaky engine at idle, but I like the smooth idle even better (being an old man now).
*No problem with engine temperature. If you live in Southern California like me you know it's been between 90 - 100 degrees all week. What's amazing is all the indicators (water and oil temperature for example) appear to be identical to where they sat with the stock engine.
*Power: Stillen dyno'd it at 423 bhp stock at the rear wheels (with the Corsa Extreme exhaust that I had installed about a year ago). After the supercharger install it made 550 bhp at the rear wheels. Using advertised horsepower for both the LT1 engine from Chevy and Edelbrock's numbers for their supercharger to calculate drivetrain loss to the rear wheels (I'll let you do the math), and assuming Chevy's numbers were more accurate, I'd guess the real engine horsepower after the supercharger install was closer to 600, not 624 as Edelbrock claims.
*I have to "re-learn" how to drive the car. Throttle inputs are way different now as there's so much more torque off the line. When I left Stillen, as I pulled out of the driveway on my first drive with it, it was like a 17 year old kid trying to impress a girl...not on purpose mind you! I certainly can't floor it in 1st, never could, but now even in second you have to use great restraint. YES!
*Did I say this already...GET THE MGW SHIFTER.

I know I've left some stuff out, but I'll keep adding impressions as I continue to drive the car. For my needs, budget, etc., this modification was a home run with the bases loaded. It's a much better car (not that the "old one" was bad) from a drivability and performance perspective. And you know, I hate how it sounds when I say this, but it's more comfortable to drive now too. And it's stealth, I love that really, it looks like a base Stingray, but it's packing a big surprise.

As always thanks everyone for your positive comments on my adventure, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Administrator
Thanks for the update Guitar Man, definitely sounds like it was a good move! :eek:nthego:

Registered
Great to hear it's everything you expected and more. Enjoy!

Registered
Great write up. Thanks for keeping us informed. Took a Z06 out today and WOW that thing takes off.

Super Moderator
Thank you for the update!

Registered
I'm glad you like how it turned out. It sure is tempting for the rest of us.

I assume this upgrade voids the factory warranty, but does Edelbrock provide a warranty for your engine?

Registered
Steve, great to read your impressions and I'm glad it worked out as you expected - or better! If you have the chance to post a picture or two of the engine as it now looks, that would be great to see. Congratulations and enjoy!

Registered
Congrats. Enjoy the added power.

Registered
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Just to answer a couple of comments:

Ateupjoe - I would LOVE to drive a Z06, never have, and I have no doubt it's more car than this one. But for what I have into this car (about $60k) it's mighty darn good! As I said before, more car than I can drive at the limits, so it will push me to drive better.

Twowinns: Yes it voids the warranty. The Edelbrock supercharger comes with a drive train warranty for 36k miles or 36 months, both of those from when the car was new. Well my car is older than 36 months so the warranty doesn't really mean much even though I only have 12k miles on it. Still, for someone doing it to a younger car it may mean something. That still doesn't trouble me too much based on what I've read about other users' experiences as well as mine over the last week, because I'm believing it's driving overall better than it did before, which is still amazing to me. I mean, my wife likes driving the car now!

Pics:

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1499638091.444729.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1499638107.319396.jpg

It truly looks factory. And the new black "bottle" attached to the left fender well is for coolant for the air-to-liquid intercooler.

Registered
Thanks for the information. With Edelbrock's reputation, I would certainly trust them. And the shop you chose to install it sounds very reputable, too.

Premium Member
Great install! I am liking it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I've been driving the car for about a month now with the Edelbrock supercharger, installed, so it's time to wrap this up and give you my final thoughts, impressions. Cutting to the bottom line there's nothing I regret about this upgrade, except for waiting so long to do it (honestly I really needed the excuse with my wife of turning 60 to spend the money, that's why I waited so long).

The car continues to drive at least as well as the factory tune, if not better because of all the torque available now. I've had zero issues with it, and I don't baby it, in fact I kinda push it all the time frankly because it's so much darn fun. If there's any concern I have with it now it's because of the old adage that when you take care of one thing, like more power, the next weak link in the chain becomes more obvious. In this case that next weak link is the suspension, because it's impossible to use more than part throttle in both first and second gear, as well as a good part of third if you're really on it. So I'll start researching what I can do to try and get more of this new power to the road.

It's truly like driving a new (different) car now, and even though I'm still jealous of all you with a Z06 (yes I am), I don't feel like I need to save up and get one because for me this car does it all. At least until I think I need more power again :). And it's soooooo stealth! It looks just like any other base Corvette but if someone decides they need to challenge it chances are they will be very, very surprised, this upgrade has transformed the car.

So for all of you that have been contemplating something like this for awhile, know I did all the worrying and fretting for you, I was your guinea pig. Find a reputable local installer and go do it, you won't be sorry you did. Thank you all for following along and your comments as I went on this adventure....

Registered
Guitar Man, it's great to read that everything is functioning as intended and you are completely satisfied. I'm sure that others will follow in your footsteps concerning the supercharger install for more performance. It looks like it was factory installed in your engine bay, squared away.

SF
Rick

Registered
For those that did not see it, all girls garage that was run on Sunday did this exact supercharger to a C7 and I was impressed by the work they had done. Didn't realize all the work that was involved in this modification. Much more than just bolting on the new supercharger and sending the computer out for a retune. Certainly not something I would ever try to tackle on my own. Enjoy all that new power guitar man. Did you put it on a dyno? What is your new HP?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts