Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Guitar Man, glad everything has gone well. Although I have a different type of supercharger, I agree 100% with your observations.

This morning as I drove to an appointment, this thought occurred to me: I know I'm getting old (65) when I drive a SC Corvette to get my hearing aids adjusted. :nonchalance:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Fireeagle - Stock, but with the Corsa exhaust and X pipe it put out 423 at the rear wheels, after the supercharger was installed it made 543. My guess is Edelbrock's number at 624 is high, but calculating drivetrain loss for the stock engine and applying that percentage to the modded one puts it close to 600. And because mine is a 2014 I got a tuner, didn't have to send the computer out. I also saw the All Girls Garage show, but they left you hanging with a teaser at the end, like it was Part 1, because they said "next time" they were going to run it against a Z06! And yes, it was worth every penny of the $2,300 install and dyno work, which also included installing an MGW shifter.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Steve, it looks terrific and I'm glad that it gives satisfaction that meets your expectations! It's great to know the installation and tuning were also carried out well, I think that sometimes the hardest choice we face is selection of people to work on these great cars for which we have so much passion. Glad to hear you're happy with the results and I hope we can get together one day!

·
Registered
73 Posts
What about the transmission and rear end? Does it need upgrading to handle the extra power? Usually, the engine, transmission and rear end are designed to work with each other at the engines specified performance. Going from 455 to 600 hp means driving higher torque through the trans and rear end. Clutches, bearings, gears, etc will wear out prematurely. I wonder if the All Girls Garage addressed the supercharger install from a system standpoint. I have heard the A8 and rear end can handle a lot more power than 455 hp. I have 2016 Z51 3LT. $2300 for the install is very affordable. I am assuming the supercharger cost around $7700 if you put 10K into the upgrade. I would consider doing this to my car as long as I don't burn out the trans and rear end with higher loads.

·
Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
What about the transmission and rear end? Does it need upgrading to handle the extra power? Usually, the engine, transmission and rear end are designed to work with each other at the engines specified performance. Going from 455 to 600 hp means driving higher torque through the trans and rear end. Clutches, bearings, gears, etc will wear out prematurely. I wonder if the All Girls Garage addressed the supercharger install from a system standpoint. I have heard the A8 and rear end can handle a lot more power than 455 hp. I have 2016 Z51 3LT. $2300 for the install is very affordable. I am assuming the supercharger cost around $7700 if you put 10K into the upgrade. I would consider doing this to my car as long as I don't burn out the trans and rear end with higher loads.
Off the top of my head, I recall the transmission can handle 700 HP. Someone may chime in with a link or quote for the exact number.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks rdison01

Reading the specs and if they are correct the key design parameters for me to make a decision on a supercharger add on would be the following:

Max engine power: 650 hp
Max engine torque: 635 ft-lb

and this is key:

Max gearbox torque: 738 ft-lb
Maximum shift speed: 7000 rpm

From the GM authority specs it looks like the trans can handle the load increase with the edelbrock supercharger as long as this spec is common to all A8 trans for all vehicles it is installed in. Still need to look into rear end.

As far as the Z06 LT4 is concerned the engine is rated at 650 hp at 6400 rpm with a max torque of 650 ft-lb at 3600 rpm. Also, the LT4 max allowable rpm is 6600 rpm.

It appears that rpm and torque are the design drivers.

So you have a small margin for the Z06 in rpm and torque in the A8. This makes sense since hp is a function of rpm and torque. What doesn't make sense is the max allowable engine torque of 635 ft-lb while the LT4 puts out 650 ft-lbs. The spec probably should of stated max allowable engine torque at a specified rpm??? See link below.

GM 6.2 Liter Supercharged V8 LT4 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority

·
Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
I have searched carefully to try to find the answer. This is the best source I found. I don't believe it, because that means that the Z06 has zero headroom with this transmission.

GM 8-Speed 8L90 M5U Transmission Info, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority

It says the HP spec. is 650.
Thanks rdison01

Reading the specs and if they are correct the key design parameters for me to make a decision on a supercharger add on would be the following:

Max engine power: 650 hp
Max engine torque: 635 ft-lb

and this is key:

Max gearbox torque: 738 ft-lb
Maximum shift speed: 7000 rpm

From the GM authority specs it looks like the trans can handle the load increase with the edelbrock supercharger as long as this spec is common to all A8 trans for all vehicles it is installed in. Still need to look into rear end.

As far as the Z06 LT4 is concerned the engine is rated at 650 hp at 6400 rpm with a max torque of 650 ft-lb at 3600 rpm. Also, the LT4 max allowable rpm is 6600 rpm.

It appears that rpm and torque are the design drivers.

So you have a small margin for the Z06 in rpm and torque in the A8. This makes sense since hp is a function of rpm and torque. What doesn't make sense is the max allowable engine torque of 635 ft-lb while the LT4 puts out 650 ft-lbs. The spec probably should of stated max allowable engine torque at a specified rpm??? See link below.

GM 6.2 Liter Supercharged V8 LT4 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority
Nice work!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts