Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone

My name is Greg, I am 27 years old and currently reside in San Jose, CA. Back in 2008 I had been fortunate enough to have been selected as a General Motors creative design intern. I spent my summer there in Warren MI at the GM Design center working on ideas for cars in the year 2020. It was an experience of a lifetime that any car enthusiast could only dream of. Hanging out VIP at the Woodward Dreamcruise, multiple trips inside the heritage center and HQ... But most of all full access to the design center. I saw so many amazing concepts cars being made out of clay by hand and got to meet various designers, execs, etc on a first name basis. It has got to be one of the best internships out there a student can get - I have never met people more passionate about the work they do than my summer at GM.

With all that said I've been keeping a secret. Since my time at GM in 2008 I've known about the stingray. I didn't know when it would be released or what the final design would be but I knew it was in the works and I was waiting with anticipation. Since graduating college in 2009 I've lived all over the country (NY, NJ, SC, CA) thanks to the economy but have been fortunate enough to network and work at some amazing places. I have settled down here in Silicon Valley for the last 3 years and absolutely love CA. But the thought of a new stingray in the works has been burning in the back of my head. And then that day came where it was announced! I couldn't feel more proud for the people I had the opportunity to work with while at GM because this car is truly a game changer. I'm also excited because I've situated myself financially to where I can now purchase one for my self.

And that's what I did - I just ordered my first American car - a 2015 Z51 2LT C7 Stingray in white with black wheels and red competition seats. It is hard to tell when the last time is that I have been this excited!

But I am not new to the 'car scene'. The custom car world has always been a hobby of mine and I've owned award winning custom show cars in the past. In my next post on this thread I will show some of the cars I have owned. But regardless I cannot wait to get my hands on this new Stingray later this year and begin to slowly customize/modify the vehicle!

Can't wait to someday meet some of you guys at future meets and learn what you all have been doing with your C7's!

-Greg

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Greg
Great story and welcome

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome Greg! What a great way to get started in the car world. Check out our Northern California group under the community heading, we would love to have you join us . We are a group of C7 owners that represent all of the age groups so you would fit right in.

·
18,669 Posts
Greg, how exciting going to work must have been for years, and especially since you worked with so many great folks during that time. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

And soon you get to have your own StingRay!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Welcome Greg! Loved the story and can't wait to see pics of your past cars and your new stingray!

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Yes, Greg, thank you for your introductory story, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Greg, great story! Post those pictures of the custom cars you owned.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Greg; Very interesting story! Welcome, and feel free to start a thread in the "Around the Garage" forum about what goes into the design of todays cars and the sorts of things that you would see and do in your time there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Indeed a great internship. It's a thrill to see something go from conceptional phases to something in your hand.

The only sad part is the time to market that plaques most of the auto manufacturers. If the C7 took 6 years to go from conception to production then I guess I have a lot to learn about the process.

Regardless GM, including you Greg, have delivered an American trophy! Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Lucky bastard! ;)

Can't wait to see what ideas you gave to modify your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts