Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Here is a thread titled "Would You replace your Stingray for Grand Sport" that will provide you each person’s reasons and I included my response to thread below. Every situation is different and it’s more to it than just go buy a Grand Sport and take huge depreciation on your current C7 and/or go further in to debt etc.. There's no right or wrong but whatever works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/general-discussion/16502-would-you-replace-your-stingray-grand-sport.html

I like the GS and Wide Body look and considered a GS but I won't give my 2014 Z51 3LT away to a stealership that I only owe $22k and have many mods (worth nothing to anyone but me) and I love my car. I don't track nor would I ever tap into the differences in the benefits of a Z06, GS vs Z51 other than just to have the latest. That said, I wasn't going to accept 38-40k for my car that's 24 months away from being paid for to go into debt a new 60-70k in debt for a wide body since I couldn't pay cash for it.

The GS is really beautiful in the wide body but I joke with my two buddies in which one has a Z06 and one has a GS but when we go to car events, more people stop to look at my modded narrow body but they casually walks past theirs because they look like the rest of the stock GS/Z06 wide bodies...not a criticism just helps keeps me grounded that I don't need a new car lol. Whatever works, right?

Also, I don't like my car looking like everyone else's which mean I would end up spending easily 10k+ just modding to personalize it while also paying new sales tax and interest on car loan. Generally, I am fiscally conservative in terms of managing my money so a car is a very depreciating asset so I have enough of those so when the car is paid for I will redirect those funds into paying off my home. lastly, I got three kids through college debt free so I am now replenishing nest egg and working on paying my home off in 8 years... My Mom taught me to be content and not keep chasing the latest and greatest because you will remain on a hamster wheel. After I pay this car off and my home, I will be in the wonderful world of 100% debt-free other than normal living expenses which is my goal before retirement.

To all those that get the GS, Z06, ZR1 or Mid Engine, Congratulations as they are all wonderful cars and no one can tell anyone how to spend their money..IF I had 60-80k to buy a car cash and not impact my overall net worth then I probably would but since I don't.... Cheers to those that can! . So to answer the question "Would You replace your Stingray for Grand Sport", for me the answer is NO based on the aforementioned comments.

Kyle
I’ll just go ahead and say “Ditto!” . Well said Kyle.

·
18,667 Posts
Cheers to all who decide what way works best for themselves, their Corvette — and does so within their own decided budget.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Doubtful. Check the average trade of your car when it hits the 3 year old mark. 12k on top of what NADA claims it’s worth probably won’t get me a Mustang. Plus I love my car. I want it to have my touch. Like my reason for dumping 20k into my Harley. I don’t care to look like every other model out there.
I understand what you are saying. I started with the "base" model, and have added over 20 mods, from a few $$, to sending it off to Callaway. I've done most of the mods myself, and every time one was completed, it just put a smile on my face. I have enjoyed adding my personal touches as much as I have driving the car itself, and like you, I just like having something different.
I was posed a similar question, as you were, on the Forum concerning costs, "why didn't I just buy a Z06?" Well, I would LOVE to have a Z06, but cost wise, I would still be out the difference between a Stingray and a Z06 because, like the Stingray, I would have still added over 20 mods to the Z06 and sent it off to Callaway!! :witless: I can't help it, it's just what I do!

·
18,667 Posts
Rick, you created and executed the perfect plan for you. Your car looks terrific, you have pride in what you created, and what you have now.

Nothing is better than pursuing your own dreams, whether it is a no-option C7 to start with, or a ‘19 ZR1 that soon will be getting heavily modded.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I remember posting the details of my Stingray shortly after taking delivery three years ago. Someone responded with "Let the mods begin" and I thought, not on my Corvette. Uhh ... see below. :numbness:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I remember posting the details of my Stingray shortly after taking delivery three years ago. Someone responded with "Let the mods begin" and I thought, not on my Corvette. Uhh ... see below. :numbness:
Paul, your new slogan "Let the mods never end" :wink:

SF
Rick

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Liking the way my project turned out. The ACS Composite kit is the perfect option for anyone that doesn’t care to cut their rockers off the frame. It has a finished look that doesn’t merely look bolted on.

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1524924389.237433.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1524924406.776682.jpg

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Steve, only one word to describe it: PERFECT!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
21 - 36 of 36 Posts