Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was turning left from a one way street onto a two way side street. A car ran the stop sign for the side street and hit me on the back half of the driver's door. The side seat air bag deployed (now that was an experience!), the car shut down, the hazard lights came on and OnStar called me. Note to self: Keep the OnStar subscription going...it is invaluable. OnStar notified the police and an officer arrived quickly. The car was put on a flat bed tow truck by an experienced operator and there was no collateral damage from the towing operation. Oh, and by the way, the car fled the scene...yup, the proverbial hit and freak'n run.

Ruby Too Accident 03-17-19 - 1.jpg

I am not posting to get sympathy, rather, I want to know if anybody has had this kind of damage and what the consequences, repair idiosyncrasies, etc. are.

Thanks in advance for any advice or counsel.

CharlieJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ruby Too Fuel Cut Off Switch

As posted earlier, my 2015 was hit by a hit and run driver. The impact has immobilized the car. I assume that there is a fuel inertial switch that has engaged to keep the fuel pump from operating. I have searched the Forum, the web and the Owner's manual and cannot find any mention of said switch. Does anybody know where it is and how to reset it?

Charlie

·
Administrator
16,654 Posts
Sorry to read this Charlie. Hopefully you are OK. I would suggest you give your dealer a call and ask them. My guess it has something to do with the air bag going off.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That sucks to say the least. Sorry to hear that. Glad no damage to the human!

·
Registered
273 Posts
So if the air bags go off the car shut off until something is reset? Sorry about the car but me I would have love to go after the car that hit me and at least get a number off the car. Plus calling the police. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ruby Too Repairs
As posted before, Ruby Too was disabled after the crash, I think because of an inertial switch that supplies power to the electric fuel pump. When the adjuster visited on Wed (accident on Sunday night), Ruby Too started immediately. Possibly a time delay and then auto reset?

Ruby Too is being repaired at Dimmitt Chevrolet in Clearwater, FL. They have the best Corvette reputation in this area and there body shop has a Corvette certified technician. The received the car at about 1200 on Thursday 3/21 and started into it. I talked to the POC and he told me that the damage to the aperture that the door sits in was too great and that the aperture has to be replaced. You will see where it was cut out in the photo below. All in all progress is great, all parts are expected by Tuesday or Thursday of next week and the car is expected to be completed on or before 4/5/19. Fingers crossed.
Charlie
Ruby Too Recovery - 6.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,378 Posts
Wow, removing the aperture is the hardest part of doing a wide body conversion. I am just thinking out loud that someone who had been interested in a wide body conversion could have had them remove and replace the other aperture also and replaced both apertures with the wide body aperture then just completed the rear wide body buy buying these parts used for 2k. The other body parts are easy to remove and replace. Just Thinking out loud when I saw the aperture had to be replaced.

Glad Ruby Too is on the road to recovery! :)

wide1.jpeg wide2.jpeg wide3.jpeg wide4.jpeg

Reassembly has started...new aperture has been installed. Ruby Too is on the road to recovery! View attachment 269114 .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad you weren't injured and have Ruby in the hands of folks you have trust and confidence in.

Reactions: Mack
1 - 9 of 9 Posts