Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When researching my C7 purchase on this site, I learned, among many other things, that the black painted wheel option was disappointing to many owners due to chipping, and that powder coating was more effective. Also, that the summer tires lost adhesion in cold weather.

So, while I was waiting for my car to be manufactured and delivered, I ordered a second set of wheels and all season tires, and had the wheel/tire sets swapped out on the way home from the dealer, in late October 2014. I finally got around to having the run flat Michelins dismounted, and brought the wheels to be powder coated. They are going back on the Beast this upcoming May, with the Original Equipment Michelins.

Here are a couple of pictures of the wheels when I picked them up. As described by the powder coat tech, they are done in Super Durable Wet Black with a Super Durable Wet Clear topcoat. They were done by a small shop, Powder Pro's, in Charlestown New Hampshire.

Wheel Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Spoke Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Spoke Tire

·
Administrator
16,831 Posts
Look very sharp Milliwatt Rob. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh those look good !!! Am thinking of doing the same on mine as well. Would love to see a pic on the car. I have been debating on flat or shiny. But after seeing that. I'm steering toward somewhat shiny !!!!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
way to take charge and get something done, they look great....while they are new, I suggest you coat them with something like cquartz, wipe on and buff....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Rob
Looks nice
Did they drill and tap the wheels in order to attach those hooks?

·
Registered
879 Posts
way to take charge and get something done, they look great....while they are new, I suggest you coat them with something like cquartz, wipe on and buff....
Glen
I have a new set of chrome aftermarket wheels coming. Would you recommend the cquartz on them too
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
I am more of a chrome type guy, but I must say those look nice with all of that shine on a wet look!

How much did this cost you in your area, Rob? I bet it was significantly less than what GM would have charged for painting them, no?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Glen
I have a new set of chrome aftermarket wheels coming. Would you recommend the cquartz on them too
Thanks
Jack
yup...I am getting lots of people (ronkh being one) that are telling me that Blackfire crystal paint coating is easy and fast...great reviews...what's most important you coat is the inside barrel, as it is hard to clean on the car....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great looking wheels, that wet look is very tempting!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not a fan of black particularly but those wheels look awesome! You will be very pleased with their resistance to the elements once they are mounted to The Beast. How's you winter going so far? Any snow to speak of at Okemo?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Those wheels look great! I may have to consider something similar, as my painted silver wheels are chipping too.

And no, those hooks aren't drilled into the wheels - look real close and you'll see they are actuall part of a band clamp going around the wheel barrel.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To answer the questions.

1. Not counting the cost of dismounting the tires, removing the pressure monitors and any balance weights, the cost of coating the bare wheels was $550 in tax free New Hampshire.

2. Yes, the hooks are attached to a removable band going around the circumference of the wheel drum. When powder coating the wheels, they are hung by these bands. When the bands are removed, there is an area that was not powder coated beneath the bands. But who cares, when the tire is mounted, its all covered up.

My goal was not to save money. It was to have a better surface coating on the wheels. And the Cquartz is an excellent idea.

Oh yes, Okemo and all the area ski resorts with snow making capability are open. We are finally at the point where it is cool enough at night to make snow, and not so warm in the day to melt it.

We have about 6 inches of crunchy snow on the ground here on Terrible Mountain, which is the next hill south of Okemo. Even the snowmobile folks have enough on the ground to have fun. And I was just in Manchester today at the Chevy dealer, which has a Z06 on the show room floor. (No, I am not considering trading up.....but I learned that their senior technician is Corvette trained. Whoopee for me!! Only 20 miles from home!!)

·
18,670 Posts
My wheels are 2x CQ'd and while that keeps them looking shiny and very easy to clean, neither CQ nor any coating will prevent rock chips.

Powder coating is the best way to reduce rock chips. Of course can not powder coat chrome, but with CQ and some luck, your wheels will look and stay beautiful for years. May they not pass the "3' of less intensive stare test"? Yes, but really good chance that they will look terrific to 99% of those looking at your car.

Will be powder coating my Spectra Gray wheels a few years down the road, for even though they were immediately 2X CQ'd, when up close and personal cleaning them, notice each one already has some minor scuff marks from rock chips. Standing back more than 7', they look factory original and terrific.

·
Registered
385 Posts
watch where the lug nuts seat, had a friend do the same and they worked loose and ruined one of his wheels. And he did check torque several times

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Looking forward to a pic with them on your car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts