Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm still waiting for the swiss final MY15 prices, I have received definitive informations regarding US and our Stingray model main differences:

• 3 years / 100'000 Km Bumper to bumper warranty and 6 years Corrosion
• 3 years Roadside Assistance
• Z51 Performance Pack Standard
• Exhaust Performance system 4 Valves (add. 5HP) standard
• Performance Traction Management standard (TC system like in a race car, 5 modes. 3 of the 5 modes are with stability control system)
• Rear Fog Lamps
• European language package for Driver Info, Radio, Navi
• European Audio System (European frequency, TMC and Digital Audio System DAB/DAB+/DMB-R)
• European Navigation System
• Up-level Anti-Theft System
• Euro 5 homologation with lower CO2 emission rate (Eco default mode)
• Magnetic Suspension Standard with specific calibration (EU: Tour and Sport Mode are refined for speed and handling)
• No garage door opener in Europe cars
• ECE lighting on Europe cars, front headlamp washers
• Metric instrumentation and driver info
• Front and rear tow hooks
• European noise calibration
• European regulatory compliance and labeling
• ECE rear cargo restraint system
• ECE outside rear view mirrors with side repeaters
• Electronic steering with specific calibration (EU: more precise at center and specific tuned for speed)
• Electronic steering column lock

I can add:
• No 1LT option here
• Navigation system is still included in 2LT
• PDR is an option for 2LT and 3LT : very good idea as the overprice you must pay for 3LT, even if you don't need this PDR, is a bad thing. I was interested by the system but the informations refreshing's speed an the quite poor image quality don't match with the price.

We don't have:
• The US warranty level (why ?)
• The free maintenance (why ?)
Thousands of $ spared by GM !

YOU'RE LUCKY GUYS.... There is the main big difference:
We will pay here approx. $89'000.00 for the swiss "basic Z51 2LT model" (including our 8% tax)
So, even without the tax and including say $4000.00 of transport cost to Europe, seeing this price we are just considered by GM as "cows to be milked" !!!
They just have compared the prices of the competitors here and adjusted the C7 to be better. If it's a good price vs the competitors, it's not a justification to make a so big profit on our back.

Last "cherry on the cake": from the 01/01/2015 we will have to pay between $4500.00 and $5'500.00 of CO2 swiss tax for the C7, it's new and it's a "special option" I cannot avoid as my car will arrive here end of January :mad:

·
Registered
392 Posts
English is my native language and I'm not a master of it either so no worries.

Anyway, the Corvette is still a better bargain than those European "Super Cars".

Dollar for dollar and pound for pound the Corvette is a world class sports car that can out perform most of those costing double, triple, or more in price.

You could always go buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc if you think GM is unreasonable in the pricing.

If you think European Corvette pricing is bad, you should see how much Swiss Chocolate sells for here in the United States. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Z51Stingray:
I think it's my right to say what is the reality of the market and for what we pay too much...

There are a lot of domains where comparisons can be done and we will see exaggerations. That would not justify the manner you reply (if I'm not OK I can purchase another car).
If one time you will have to work in Europe for your business, for example, and you would like to purchase a C7 over here, you would have certainly the same feeling than me ;-)

As cars parts importer and distributor of a good US brand, I can say that I know what is the right price to sell in Europe without to be criticized.

Just a last thing :
A brand new BMW i8, builded in Europe, cost $162'200 (without VAT) over here.
It cost $135700 in USA where it have to be shipped...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Definitely a language barrier here.

You definitely took my tongue-in-cheek response the wrong way.

Remember, tolerance goes both ways.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if I misunderstood, my english is certainly not as subtle as yours...Language barrier as you say ;-)

I would perhaps have to stay as a reader only.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
SwisStingray, if you have to get your C7 serviced under warranty, who would you take it to? Don't worry about the language barrier, soon you will be driving your C7 masterpiece a "wave" speaks enough.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
392 Posts
Don't do that. There's room for everyone here. Especially those of you from Switzerland.

Probably the friendliest country and people in the world.

So please keep posting cuz all views and opinions are what makes a forum fun.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick:
I hope that I will not have to need service under warranty as my dealer is at more than 2 hours from my home, same way for the oil changes etc. That make me a little in the trouble if I have more than 400km to do that ;-)
There are others Corvette agents , more closer, but they were so un-reliable since the time I decided to order a C7 (they "just" said that no C7 will be available here for the next year !) that I would like to avoid any business with them.

Z51Stinray:
Thank you, it's clear that misunderstandings are common when reading some words, compared to a voice discussion ;-)
Yes, it's a nice country over here but a l like USA as much. I have visited different amazing US places and still have a US link in my garage through my Harley. If the Stingray will be as reliable as it, I can be quiet ;-)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Curious what is included in the Swiss "up level anti-theft" system. Do you know what? Requirement or is the theft rate high on those type of imports?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm as curious as you, it seems that it's really a difference but I think that nobody here know the details at this time.

·
18,669 Posts
The USA 2 LT and 3LT comes with an added motion sensor inside the cabin. Perhaps, as there will be no 1LT in Switzerland (probably not anywhere in Europe), that is meant by the upgraded security system.

And your English is just great "SwissStingRay"!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hello SwissStingray:

I certainly undertstand your conserns and I agree with your thoughts on some differences. Here in Canada we have similar issues but not as extreem as yours. Our pricing is about 5 to 10% more and we pay more taxes on arrival. In British Columbia we pay an additional 3% luxury tax on any purchase of $55,000 Cdn. or more for a total of 15% tax. Plus, we do not get all the advantages that the US cusotmers do. Our shipping costs are extreemly high as I am sure they are for the European bound cars. Nearly $2,000 Cdn to the west coast. We wait for much longer periods of time for our deliveries, some as much as a year or more. Mine personally was 10 months. My car in Canada sold for $83,500 Cdn. after increase this spring. In the US it would have sold for approx. $78,000 US. I was fortunate in that my original price was guarateed after the increase as I had ordered so early in the process. After trade barriers and legal requirements in Europe etc etc I think that $85,000 to 89,000 should be acceptable to most Europeans. Don't forget the dollar vs. Swiss Franc issue as well. Actually, there were more cars sent and sold to Europeans than Canadians. All in all I think we are all basically happy with our purchases and I am sure you will be with yours.

The service issues could be a problem and I am sure some of the centers where this will be done will take more than there share of profit as they to know the situation you are in. It is really too bad that they are not more convenient for you but since there are a limited number of the cars in Europe there is very little need for buisnesses to offer or train personal to do the work. I am sure GM has looked into it. Can you imagine trying to get one serviced in China? ahhhhh!!! Nice to hear from you and good luck and happy vetting when you get it.

STUNG :cool:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the kindly words!

John: You could be right but GM here says in their brochure: "Europe vs US main differences", but well it's not a big affair ;-)

Stung, In fact, we can see that it's hard to understand the way GM (and others) are making their business.
I'm just afraid to read how long you have waited for your car ! USA to Canada would have to be compared to another "US state" regarding the distance to the borderline and delivery capacities.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Although we are right next door Canada had just 300 Stingrays shipped to dealers last year of the 35k built. I imagine the EU got more.

So far as fair pricing we build the Chevy Equinox at the Woodstock , Ontario plant. It is $4k cheaper to buy that vehicle in Hawaii then it is in Woodstock. Does that seem right? GM does whatever they want when it comes to pricing.

GM will not allow their U.S dealers to sell new vehicles to Canadians, we can buy anything else we want in the U.S but not a new car. All the major car manufacturers will not allow their dealers in the U.S to sell new cars to Canadians. They must be bought from a Canadian dealer. A ridiculous rule that many lawyers suggest is illegal but so far it hasn't gotten to the Supreme Court in the U.S to be tested, there is a case pending but it has been in limbo for 3-4 years.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We didn't had any C7 in 2013, it was introduced only in 2014 in Europe.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We didn't had any C7 in 2013, it was introduced only in 2014 in Europe.
I think at the end of the day when you get the car and drive it you will forget about the price and be glad you have it.

Here are a few Stingrays that made it to Europe, watch the LeMans Video it's taken from the drivers view and
gives you a good idea of the handling and power of the C7 Stingray. Scroll down the page a bit to see video.

I took a friend for a ride in my C7 Coupe yesterday and he fell in love with it, 2 rolling 5 second 5 mph to 85 mph runs did the trick :mad:

2014 Corvette Stingray Takes A Few Laps Le Mans: Video | GM Authority

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keep posting, I think this will interest anyone that wants to import a C7 from the US. I am currently living in the US but may have to move back to Europe at some point and will never leave the car in the US. So getting an idea of the differences is quite interesting indeed.

I saw some videos last year of C7 with Zurich license plates. [video=youtube;0sH2V9DQ_IQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sH2V9DQ_IQ[/url] | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yn9M62QYHw | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kn...? Probably not. But this is an exclusive car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hé swissstingray est-ce que ton laguage est le français ou le suisse roman. j'ai lu tes explications ils sont très claires pour moi qui suis français et du Québec. Tu n'as pas a t'inquiéter et a rougir de ton anglais.:cool:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I'm sure I will forget the price...until the moment I will control my bank account :p

Awesome video, unfortunately they were driving in group. Just not a good idea to drive on a track without any helmet !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts