Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am trying not to freak out. I washed my new (well 7 months old) Corvette a couple of days ago and the windshield seems to be pretty screwed up. Ever leave your car out in the rain an after it dries, there are a million water spots on the windshield? That is what it looks like. Unfortunately, these spots are not coming off no matter what I do. The only thing I can figure is the soap in my new foam cannon did this. It's the only thing new that I haven't done before. Another clue is I tried that same foam soap on my other car as a trial and it has the same problem now. Unfortunately I didn't notice it before heading over to the Corvette.

The whole thing doesn't make sense, though. The problem is ONLY on the windshield. Those spots are not on the paint and not even on any of the other windows -- just the windshield. The soap is a brand and type that everyone on this site would recognize -- very highly recommended. I followed the directions near as I can tell so I didn't do anything unusual there.

I will try to upload pictures when I get home, but does this ring a bell with anyone? Any thoughts on how I can remedy the situation? At the moment I am just sick...

Golden

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would try something like poorboys world pro polish and see if that helps.

The quicker you get to it, the better.

Is this city water supply or well?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Listen to Ron above - a polish will get it out...everyone should own Meguires 205 for this and 1000 other uses....you will get much better action with a orbital and med density pad than by hand...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
For removing hard water spots from a windshield I use a little white vinegar with water in a spray bottle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
For removing hard water spots from a windshield I use a little white vinegar with water in a spray bottle.
That's a nice easy fix, if the spots aren't too bad.

I remember reading that some add a small amount of white vinegar to their wash bucket if they have hard water, to help achieve a similar effect.

Still, rinsing with a hose can flush the car with hard water again... I always dry the windows and mirrors first after rinsing to avoid these water spots.

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
me too--it was my Grandmothers formula. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Honestly, you really don't know what will work as water contains so many things that can mark or color the glass, it is a stain on top?, is it etched? Mineral or chemical? - you never know until you try a few things...I start with alcohol, then vinegar and then polishing, CLR works sometimes too...

putting a polymer sealant like Blackfire crystal seal or Ultima Paint Guard will keep the water from getting to the glass...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
GM used to recommend Bon Ami for windshield deep cleaning. Don't know if they still do.

Use a damp sponge and "scour" the windshield. Don't let it get too wet. The powder should form a semi-dry paste.

I've had very good luck with it. Hope it works for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
GM used to recommend Bon Ami for windshield deep cleaning. Don't know if they still do.

Use a damp sponge and "scour" the windshield. Don't let it get too wet. The powder should form a semi-dry paste.

I've had very good luck with it. Hope it works for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
If you try this, IT HAS TO BE THE ORIGINAL FORMULA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use soft water only. The car will look and stay cleaner longer. After the water spots are gone, apply RAIN-X to all of the glass.
Be sure to read the instructions, and apply Rain-x exactly as directed. this will help future spotting. Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for all of the quick responses. In my particular case, it must have just been the water. Why this time it put water spots on the windshield, and why only the windshield, I have no idea, but a solution of 50% white vinegar 50% water did the trick. I mixed the two and a spray bottle, douse the windshield very generously, and then allowed to sit for about five minutes. After that used a wet towel to wipe off the window and then used invisible glass again. The windshield is back to looking perfect.

I will definitely try the rain X to help with that in the future. Thanks for that suggestion.

Is there a way to soften the hose water as it goes through the power washer by chance?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used the vinegar trick several times. I worked well. The only drawback is a crowd soon gathered looking for the French Fry truck. Only in Canada, you say.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
Horizontal angle of windshield allows water to stay much longer than the vertical side windows. But not on the rear window too? Hmmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you have spot on your glass, are they also on the paint?

For GLASS the vinegar method is a good starting point. The minerals that are left behind are basic on hte pH scale (8-14) and when you use an acid like vinegar (5-1) it will disolve and counteract the minerals. Some times a good dwell time helps. If the minerals are still stuck there after say 2 attempts you can step up the acid strenght, or switch to a polish or compound depending on severity of the minerals. You can also use 0000 steel wool and a light touch will take it off also, we've had to do this before for large indoor car shows like SEMA where the smell of vinegar is not okay.

If the spots are on your paint, you can still use vinegar, polish, or compound. However, since paints are SOOO much softer than glass start with the least agressive first.

Cheers,
GREG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts