Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the waiting game right now hoping to get my Z06 order accepted. My dealer (Mac Mulkin Chevrolet) has arranged a Courtesy Delivery for me in Modesto.
Do any of you guys or gals know where the train brings the cars and trucks into the Bay Area to be offloaded then delivered to the dealers via truck?
I'm told the Milpitas facility where I watched my 1993 Dually being offloaded years ago is now closed.
I need to find out so I can watch that new Vette come in!
HELP

Rick
Sonora, Ca

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rick -

It took 3 weeks by train to make it to Milpitas in January 2014. This was very frustrating knowing my C7 was on its way but sitting for days at various rail yards along the route. I didn't go to the rail yard in Milpitas so I don't know if the rail yard is closed as you mention. The dealer called me on a Wednesday morning and said the car is in Milpitas. It took another 2 days to get the car from Milpitas to San Jose. I finally got it on the 3rd day, a Saturday afternoon, after its arrival in the Bay area.

Art

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wait must have been excruciating! I've passed your response on to my friend that told me about the Milpitas train yard being closed. He's going to investigate it for me as he lives and does business in that area.
Man your car sounds cool, you should post some pictures. Not a lot of Nite Race blue cars out there.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
My wife's Cadillac passed through Milpitas in June 2013 on its transfer from a train to a truck. I also heard from a local dealership about six months ago that Milpitas was being used at that time for Corvette intermediate deliveries where they were waiting on truck transfers from there to the dealership 25 miles away.

As far as I know, Milpitas is being used now for Corvettes bound for NorCal dealerships. I will be extremely interested in hearing all that you can find out, Rick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rodney,
My source is non GM so bear w/me when he comes up w/his findings. He said that he does know for sure that PMT (trucking outfit) that had the contract, and was his customer, is no longer there. If this is now a holder yard for corvettes, I'm sure I'll get a quick report.
Stay tuned.

Rick

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rick - If you plan to drive I580 from Tracy into the Bay area over the Altamont Pass, stay in the right most lane until you begin the downward decent. The other 3 lanes are rutted and full of pot holes -- It's a jarring ride even in tour mode. For reasons that are obscure to me, drivers consider going up-hill on this 4-lane Freeway a race track and jockey for position in the left lanes. I just stay in the smooth right lane with a smile on my face knowing that my C7 can go twice as fast as any of them. However, the right lane isn't without its ruts and bumps. It's just not quite as bad as the other 3 lanes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Art,
Thanks for the tip Buddy, but you're preaching to the choir.
I've been commuting from Sonora to Livermore for 25 years! But hold that tear, I'm not as dumb as I make it sound. I travel that route, yup, over the Altamont once a week usually on Mondays. And for the past 10 1/2 years I flew back and forth in my Piper Arrow3. But things change as we get older, 61 now. Health crisis forced me to sell my bird last month. But hold on now, if I hadn't sold that airplane I wouldn't be ordering a brand new Z06. Fair trade in my mind. Life's good when you're Rick!
How about some pictures of your Baby?
I totally agree w/you on the way those fools drive. And me too, right lane shaking my head.
I'll look for you in Night Race Blue in the right lane.

Rick

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Rick,

Since I'm in the same boat as you, but a few weeks ahead of you time-wise, I'm hoping to have rail details and will post for you.

Also wanted to tell you that you won't be able to see anything worthwhile if you drive to the rail yard. You really should wait for the car to come to your dealer. The white covers they transport in cover EVERYTHING but the wheels. Seeing a sea of white covers is not really all that interesting. The covers are on from as soon as the cars are built and ready to be shipped until your dealer unwraps them. Even at the plant last week, we could only see a sea of white covers behind the plant.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
my car shipped 9-12 and it was delivered to the dealer this last saturday..oct 18... it was trucked to toledo from what i am told then rail car to denver..then truck to south dakota..i am picking it up today at 2pm.... cant wait to get a pic of the car at mt rushmore this week...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
my car shipped 9-12 and it was delivered to the dealer this last saturday..oct 18... it was trucked to toledo from what i am told then rail car to denver..then truck to south dakota..i am picking it up today at 2pm.... cant wait to get a pic of the car at mt rushmore this week...
Congratulations! Your car had an interesting journey. It would be great if you would ask your dealer to give you a copy of every page from the GM Workbench for your order, showing the history of all of your status code changes. A lot could be learned from your case.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Congratulations! Your car had an interesting journey. It would be great if you would ask your dealer to give you a copy of every page from the GM Workbench for your order, showing the history of all of your status code changes. A lot could be learned from your case.
And I just asked MacMulkin for mine. ;)

I've got this down now. They're always busy, but between Thursday when allocations come and Saturday night when they have to have all the orders entered, I think they're overwhelmed. Best I think to wait for Mon - Wed to make inquiries. We'll see how that goes for me. LOL!

I do know from all I've read that they truck to Toledo, train West is always the answer. Just curious as to where the stopping off point is at the end of the CA journey for NorCal, as Rick said. (And hope it doesn't hang out in Toledo too long, as what happened last winter during those terrible snow storms. Thank goodness its not wintering yet out there I don't think!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
i will be sure to ask about all doc's.... its a beautiful day here and a great day to go corvetting!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i will be sure to ask about all doc's.... its a beautiful day here and a great day to go corvetting!
Awesome, as soon as you have pics, put them on the Crystal Red thread. We'll be waiting...

And I got the reply from MacMulkin very quick today :D. But the answer was that the last time stamp for my car was 10/15 'bayed'. So, its still at the plant. This was to be expected as I know the trucking company has 10 days to get them out of the lot out back and on their way. The dealer was invoiced 10/15 as well according to that handy listing Rodney had me ask for. Thanks R!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Sure, Suzy. The train will drop it off in Milpitas. Eventually your GM Workbench printout will show the railcar number it gets loaded onto. That is when things get very interesting...

·
Registered
C8 Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic Z51 Magnetic Ride Control
91 Posts
My order was built on 09/15/14 and I am still waiting for the car to get to Mira Loma so it could be trucked about 35 miles to the dealer. Was told today by the dealer maybe by next week Tuesday. So you better be ready for a long wait after it is built.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My order was built on 09/15/14 and I am still waiting for the car to get to Mira Loma so it could be trucked about 35 miles to the dealer. Was told today by the dealer maybe by next week Tuesday. So you better be ready for a long wait after it is built.
We are ready for a long wait. No worries. The car we're lease returning to make room in the garage has a lease end date of 11/28, so we're on schedule. Not that we're not excited an wishing it was here... but we know the drill after being so well informed on this board.

Cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
vette5.png

well my 2015 is here.... hoping to get out this weekend and get some miles in... i want to say how much i appreciate the forum and the info provided... thx...tbob

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
That is a beautiful car (my favourite color combinations!) and an awesome garage!

·
Administrator
16,303 Posts
Great looking '15 Z51 tbob! Only issue I see is somehow you checked the wrong box- clearly the right box for your stunning garage collection would have been a Torch Red Z51 :cool:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 14679

well my 2015 is here.... hoping to get out this weekend and get some miles in... i want to say how much i appreciate the forum and the info provided... thx...tbob
So I had this idea for a new thread.....and I saw this by tbob. Beautifully shop and cars Man!
So I hope u don't mind if I kinda play off this great picture.
The thread will b called: Let's see your cool garage pictures ( Porcelain Signs, Clocks, Posters and of course Corvettes)

Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts