Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - new to the forum (2019 GS m7 Elkhart lake blue (really awesome color)). In the 2017 best drivers car comp (car and driver - road and track - whoever) said needs 100hp more. I’m 4600 miles in and I’d say that’s right. Don’t want an SC, kinda not the point with the GS. Katech has a 600hp NA package (heads, cam, intake etc). Wondering if anyone has experience with that package (they have a great rep so all good on that point) or with another builder? If you do are there any issues or draw backs I should be thinking about.

FYI - did the MGW shifter and for anybody who is thinking about it DO IT. Changes the whole driver experience to the positive. No more shift drift at the top of the tree and cold 2nd is MUCH better.

thanks all

·
Administrator
15,703 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep - need to resize a couple once I get out of this family thing..... in a bit.

·
Administrator
15,703 Posts
Looks great Drune!

·
Registered
543 Posts
When you say "Don’t want an SC, kinda not the point with the GS"...... Everything I have read is bang for the buck is SC all the way. However, there is no right or wrong both will give you more power if that is your goal.

SC is more of a sleeper and drive/sound more like stock for street use. I agree 100-150 more HP or about 600 HP is perfect for the C7 Stingray/Grand Sport. That is my 2020 project with A&A Supercharger Full Kit (20% discount sale going on until 1/2/2019) without Alky Methanol putting out about 600.

Member of this Forum A&A Supercharger dynoed at 535 RWHP and about 640 hp at the crank with no Alky Meth.

One of the major installers of Heads/Cams and Superchargers writes:

We have found most people prefer the supercharger over a cam for street use if you're picking one over the other. Dollar per HP the supercharger is less expensive, the availability to increase power easily, and the drive ability over all is the winner.

I have swapped out many big N/A cams to go to a blower cam and supercharger, I have never removed a supercharger to go to a big N/A cam other then a small handful of people who turned their car into a dedicated road race car.
Hi All - new to the forum (2019 GS m7 Elkhart lake blue (really awesome color)). In the 2017 best drivers car comp (car and driver - road and track - whoever) said needs 100hp more. I’m 4600 miles in and I’d say that’s right. Don’t want an SC, kinda not the point with the GS. Katech has a 600hp NA package (heads, cam, intake etc). Wondering if anyone has experience with that package (they have a great rep so all good on that point) or with another builder? If you do are there any issues or draw backs I should be thinking about.

FYI - did the MGW shifter and for anybody who is thinking about it DO IT. Changes the whole driver experience to the positive. No more shift drift at the top of the tree and cold 2nd is MUCH better.

thanks all

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just came across this commentary as I am currently in process of making decision on Supercharger:

"Supercharger kit brings you dramatic increases in power while not degrading everyday drive-ability or highway gas mileage! The system utilizes a large blow off valve that remains open at cruise and light throttle. This, essentially, allows the supercharger to freewheel under normal conditions, reducing parasitic loss to less than that of an alternator. A naturally aspirated engine would require higher compression, a very aggressive camshaft, high flow cylinder heads with heavy duty valve-train, exhaust headers with free flowing exhaust, larger throttle body, high flow intake manifold, free flowing air filter housing and duct, etc. Most of these parts are NOT emissions legal. The price of these components alone is higher than a supercharger system. The labor to install these is also much higher. Then there are the inherent problems brought to the vehicle by such a build. A large camshaft all but ruins everyday drive-ability AND gas mileage. Driving in traffic becomes a very trying experience. A stick shift car will buck and surge and an automatic car will be hard to hold back because of the increased idle speed required. Low speed torque is reduced with an aggressive camshaft which will require lower differential gearing and a high speed stall torque converter (automatic cars) to make up for it. This further degrades drive-ability and gas mileage. With all the components required for a high performance naturally aspirated car, the degradation in drive-ability and gas mileage, the total inability of the vehicle to pass emissions tests and the added expenditure, the vehicle would STILL have up to 100HP less than a stock Corvette with a standard SC systems bolted on. Average increase TO THE REAR WHEELS is approximately 175 RWHP! No other modification, in this price range, even comes close".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to build my motor as well However I track my car a lot and am concerned with overheating that a SC can bring

1 - 11 of 11 Posts