Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to pickup my C7 from Les Standford in Detroit but now am considering paying the extra $995 for NCM pickup. Do you get a better pre inspection than a major dealer that sells over 100 vettes a year? What re the details?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
If your order is past 2000 that option is off the table. If it isn't then it becomes a personal choice but since you have to travel anyway I would (and did) select museum delivery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I stood under my vette yesterday for the first time to educate the tech as to "why there were two drain plugs?". Kinda scary that he didn't know this. Back to point, the bottom of my car was signed and dated as NCM and had 4 or 5 signatures on it. Along with initials P.O.I. I'm assuming that means pre operative inspection. BTW. I though picking it up at the museum was a great experience.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
I stood under my vette yesterday for the first time to educate the tech as to "why there were two drain plugs?". Kinda scary that he didn't know this. Back to point, the bottom of my car was signed and dated as NCM and had 4 or 5 signatures on it. Along with initials P.O.I. I'm assuming that means pre operative inspection. BTW. I though picking it up at the museum was a great experience.
I would have concern as well and would talk with the Service Manager to discuss it with him/her and also find out who specifically went from their department for C7 training.
Here is the bottom signed plate from RedHot and her NCM delivery. I would guess yours is similarly signed PDI for pre delivery inspection. Perhaps the tec's handwriting wasn't as clear.

P1060251.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks RedHot. I had a NCM pickup in March but I did not know about the initials. The two days was a cool experience except I had to drive my LRG from the muesum to the highway in two inches of snow. What a way to start.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks the signing on the bottom shows they take pride. Did anyone learn if $990 buys you any extra check out of the car? I thought I saw somewhere that a GM inspector drives the car 8-10 miles. True? It is a lot of money for a tour and my car roped off so I look important. I am more interested in making sure the car is almost perfect.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Thanks the signing on the bottom shows they take pride. Did anyone learn if $990 buys you any extra check out of the car? I thought I saw somewhere that a GM inspector drives the car 8-10 miles. True? It is a lot of money for a tour and my car roped off so I look important. I am more interested in making sure the car is almost perfect.
I suggest you use the search feature and check out the numerous posts regarding NCM delivery experiences and form your own opinion. One significant difference of a NCM delivery and dealer delivery (aside from everything else that going into your role in the NCM delivery) is that if they find any issues when they do the PDI they fix it or send it back across the street to the plant to get it fixed before you see your car. The NCM PDI is done by highly motivated Corvette individuals.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point. I have been searching. All everyone talks about is "the experience" not things that were caught or learned. Guess I am just too serious and/or cheap. It seems to me you pay $1000 for the time of one of their dedicated very qualified people. That is worth something to me. After all my company charges more than at for a field engineer per day.

If I can spend a couple hours checking out the car, have assurance I am not going to have issues on the drive home to Denver, reduce my risk of having to get a dealer to fix something later, learn how to install a carbon spoiler, vents, front grill, engine trim etc then I think it may be worth it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Good point. I have been searching. All everyone talks about is "the experience" not things that were caught or learned. Guess I am just too serious and/or cheap. It seems to me you pay $1000 for the time of one of their dedicated very qualified people. That is worth something to me. After all my company charges more than at for a field engineer per day.

If I can spend a couple hours checking out the car, have assurance I am not going to have issues on the drive home to Denver, reduce my risk of having to get a dealer to fix something later, learn how to install a carbon spoiler, vents, front grill, engine trim etc then I think it may be worth it.
Don't let your expectations run away with you. You will not have the opportunity to learn how to wrench on your car, install aftermarket accessories or be part of the PDI. What you will get is a car that is prepped better than most, if not all dealerships by people who's only job is to prep Corvettes. You will get a "Host" who will be at your service to take you through the plant, museum and car orientation at your pace. This Host is not an engineer or mechanic, don't expect them to know how to install anything, they are trained on the car as delivered by GM.

Only you can decide if the $990 + expenses is worth it. We did it, turned it into a 1 week vacation, spent less than I've spent on many other 1 week vacations and would do it again in a heart beat if/when we buy another new Corvette.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I chalked it up as a vacation expense. I was not disappointed. I met Dave who head the PDI team and his group of guys. Highly motivated people and the underside plating on my car is signed by all of them. My car did not have a single blemish.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I think Mark is right. From all I have read about the NCM pick-up it is a very full day. There is not much time for you to go over your car with the fine tooth comb that might identify any issues that may exist. On the other hand, you pay your money for "the experience" and by most accounts it is money well spent.

·
18,670 Posts
David Smith and his committed team are more experienced than any other dedicated PDI team. David has been involved with over 10,000 of corvette PDI's, over 1,000 2014 StingRays alone. He has personal relationships with many Plant personnel, talks to them often, and personally witnessed his calling the factory, telling them the front left fender was not right, had the Plant come over with an hour, pick up the Coevette, return it hours later, absolutely perfect, and ready for the customer to have his/her Museum Delivery the next day.

Museum Delivery was an outstanding experience for us, well worth is cost, and then more to us. However, as previously posted, everyone gets to determine is value to them or not.

We were on the Museum Delivery schedule for our 2015 Z06 as far back as last September, but when announced this winter it would be "delayed availability," that would have resulted in a January pick up, with a 2,800 mile drive to the Northwest with 650 HP, we have decided on the Buyers Tour instead. Remain disappointed, however, that we will not do Museum Delivery on our 2015 Z06!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I decided to do then NCM pick up. Told the dealer today. I think my order may go in Friday?

I am going to replace the rear spoiler with CF after I get it home so I hope I can at least see how that is attached during the tour. I saw a video on how to change out the rear quarter vents. Have some concerns about getting the fenders back in place. Would be nice to get a good look at that during the tour too.

But I am in. I am convinced the NCM will do a better job checking out the car. A lot more experienced and talking to their buddies across the hwy.

I too will see the sights in Nashville while the car is being wrapped in Xpel.

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
C7 ******* - sounds like from the great commentary above you made a good choice for what you want. Be sure to start a thread on the board and tell us about your drive home when this all comes about!

--

That's interesting about the signing of the bottom. Is that on all cars, or only NCM delivery cars? Wonder if we'll get some sigs on the bottom of our Buyer's Tour car as we're talking to the workers along the line? Anyone heard of that? A lot less on this site about Buyer's Tours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I picked up my 06 at the museum it was a little delayed because they sent it back over across the street to replace a defective rear quarter panel. I don't know what the dealer would have done but I think it may have just been delivered to me that way. I liked the plant tour but I was not really into the museum itself. I have a '15 being built next week and decided to save the money and pick it up at the dealer. They priced it higher than I am willing to pay.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
--

That's interesting about the signing of the bottom. Is that on all cars, or only NCM delivery cars?
The signatures are of the individuals involved in the NCM PDI.:cool:

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
827 Posts
I really would like NCM delivery but I'm shying away from it. Although I ordered mine the earliest possible in June, it'll probably be winter before it gets built because I ordered through my local small town dealer. And we all know how that goes with the way GM allocates orders. So I'm not willing to take the risk of having to drive it over 400 mlles north in the middle of winter. Otherwise, if I knew I was getting delivery before December, I would definitely do NCM delivery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts