Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very disappointed when I brought my 2019 Stingray home and discovered that my navigation has to go through my Apple play or Onstar. On my 2014 Stingray I was able to input my destination directly. I purchased this vehicle off the lot I did not order to my specs. Are other 2019 C7 similar?

·
Administrator
16,435 Posts
Welcome to our forum Kevin Sr. What version C7 did you purchase? Was NAV part of it?

Reactions: KevinSr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Stingray 1LT, the information center has an icon similar to my 2014 Stingray 1LT so I didn’t give it a second thought but when I went to input my destination I could only accomplish it through Onstar. Chevrolet tech help told me there are 2 versions of the information center version 5 and 6. I have Version 5.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
Seems kind of counter intuitive or less cost-effective to make two versions of a Nav system. Sorry for your disappointment!

·
Administrator
16,435 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Stingray 1LT, the information center has an icon similar to my 2014 Stingray 1LT so I didn’t give it a second thought but when I went to input my destination I could only accomplish it through Onstar. Chevrolet tech help told me there are 2 versions of the information center version 5 and 6. I have Version 5.
I believe the navigation system was an option and not standard on the 1lt. That is why you had to do it through your phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the navigation system was an option and not standard on the 1lt. That is why you had to do it through your phone.
Yes I believe you are correct which would explain why there are 2 Information versions. Thank you for your input. My wife said bring it back and get the other Vette ?? What a women !!?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I did not want factory navigation but it came bundled with the Performance Data Recorder. I have tried to use it several times and it was a miserable experience. Smart phone navigation is much easier and more accurate.

·
Premium Member
2019 GrandSport
49 Posts
Hmm.. Just my two cents.. I don't think you're missing out on anything by not having the built-in NAV player.. These devices in my opinion are not worth their cost anymore and they're a pain to upgrade. Both the Android Auto and Apple Carplay have gotten very good and the Map apps are constantly getting refreshed and their UI's improved. I use my Apple Car play with Waze daily. I would not be surprised that at some point in the future built in NAV's will go the way of obsolesces just like the music compact disk player.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm.. Just my two cents.. I don't think you're missing out on anything by not having the built-in NAV player.. These devices in my opinion are not worth their cost anymore and they're a pain to upgrade. Both the Android Auto and Apple Carplay have gotten very good and the Map apps are constantly getting refreshed and their UI's improved. I use my Apple Car play with Waze daily. I would not be surprised that at some point in the future built in NAV's will go the way of obsolesces just like the music compact disk player.
I would have never believed this a few years ago, but I agree 100%. I just replaced my factory nav head unit ('07 Z06) with a Pioneer unit without built in nav. I have an older Pioneer nav unit in my truck, and never use the built in nav, only Waze. You gain current traffic conditions, police alerts, road hazards, etc, never have to worry about outdated maps, and lose nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most owners would agree that the C7 Nav system rates about 2 stars out of 5 when compared to navigating through your phone, which is always up to date as long as you have service. And upgrading the C7, for either $99 or $150, is not worth it. Phones and even a cheap Garmin unit provide much better routing and information. The only good things about the built-in Nav is that the directions come through the car speakers, the head-up display, and the built-in screen.

The only problem I find using the phone is needing a widget to hold it so it does fly off at every turn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Plug in your phone and use Android Auto or Carplay (with Waze). For most things, both are vastly better than the factory nav...
Absolutely! Or plug in a Garmin. Waze is awesome, I love the way you interact with others re traffic, radar, etc. When I got a notice the other day that I could have the GM maps update fir “only $99” I had a good laugh.

I also recorded my own voice for the turn-by-turn directions. If you have not done that, it is a lot of fun to watch the reaction of passengers.
I also have an OnStar subscription giving me a “second opinion” as no system is infallible.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very disappointed when I brought my 2019 Stingray home and discovered that my navigation has to go through my Apple play or Onstar. On my 2014 Stingray I was able to input my destination directly. I purchased this vehicle off the lot I did not order to my specs. Are other 2019 C7 similar?
Hmmmm?? Both my 2014 and 2017 allow direct input of destination. Also, I can do it through my "Chevrolet APP" on my android phone.

I guess I don't understand what is meant by "input my destination directly>

·
Registered
69 Posts
Or do what I did. I have 2LT without NAV. I found a place online that sales GM NAV units. I paid $1000, gave him my VIN, and just swapped out the control unit located under the driver side dash. Now, I have factory NAV.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
What/How do you mean that you recorded your voice for Waze communications?

Absolutely! Or plug in a Garmin. Waze is awesome, I love the way you interact with others re traffic, radar, etc. When I got a notice the other day that I could have the GM maps update fir “only $99” I had a good laugh.

I also recorded my own voice for the turn-by-turn directions. If you have not done that, it is a lot of fun to watch the reaction of passengers.
I also have an OnStar subscription giving me a “second opinion” as no system is infallible.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
Cool, I just did it! Thanks but I don't like my voice LOL but better the the default voices but maybe I will have my daughter or wife record their pleasant voices but maybe not as that might become annoying at times like in real life. LOL :)

There is a setting in Waze allowing you to use your voice. You have to go through and repeat several phrases

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally like the Apple Play much better than the old system.
I've always hated GM's attempt of on-board GPS. It doesn't require updates and it's consistently correct.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts