Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
For those of us with pre 2016 C7s without Nav, or with Nav but unhappy with it, and no PDR, I am starting a testing/review process of the newest aftermarket combination units that house both a dash cam and navigation. While these do not have the capability of displaying through our existing infotainment screen, they have some nice advantages including automatic PDR capability and excellent navigation with, in most cases, free lifetime updates of maps and live traffic. I will be doing an interim post in the next month or so, and then a 'long-term' post in several months. Stay tuned :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, but for the cost of one update, you can buy a 6" Garmin with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts. It's easier to use and functions better. It isn't just Chevrolet, It's all car makers that are charging way too much for updates. My wife's KIA cost $199 plus you had to buy a USB stick so they would deliver it.

Also with most people that aren't eating prunes, or using walkers, using their phones for almost everything. It won't be too many years, (in car manufacturer speak, not real person speak) where in car based nav, just won't be offered. It should just mirror your phone's nav app. Heck you can buy a new Nav module from the aftermarket, that lets you that now.
I had a 14 Vette 2LZ no nav. So I got one cigar plug, and I stick my garmin,radar detector, and iPhone in the car where does it all go? It looked like crap my buddy who is retired state police commented on seeing it all. Man, that's a ticket waiting to happen an accident case waiting to lose and then just laughed and shook his head. So my Z has the 3LZ the phone on a magnet punt to air duct and detector on the windshield for a real neat look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Carplay wasn't an option on '14's or '15's so if you wanted integrated Nav you had no choice. If you notice, they don't advertise the option as Nav anymore, it's simply included with the PDR. The writing is on the wall, embedded Nav is pretty much gone except, perhaps for some vehicles targeted at the older folks among us who still use flip phones ;)
Carplay wasn't an option on '14's or '15's so if you wanted integrated Nav you had no choice. If you notice, they don't advertise the option as Nav anymore, it's simply included with the PDR. The writing is on the wall, embedded Nav is pretty much gone except, perhaps for some vehicles targeted at the older folks among us who still use flip phones ;)
Mr Nelly I was at the dealership today and the saleslady couldn't help me put my iphone map on the screen in the car. Could you give me the steps. [email protected]

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Mr Nelly I was at the dealership today and the saleslady couldn't help me put my iphone map on the screen in the car. Could you give me the steps. [email protected]
Welcome to our forum. You did not mention your model and level C7. This needs to be known before anyone can suggest how and whether you can mirror your iphone on your car's nav screen.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Jusatoy, what year do you have? If it’s later (newer) than a 2016, you plug the phone in the usb after you have installed Android Auto or Apple carplay (depends on your phone, duh ..lol) Make sure you have Bluetooth turned on, and connection settings in the phone set to data transfer.

the projection icon on the home screen should change to the appropriate icon, AA or Carplay.

my 2016 (November 2015 build) needed a factory update at the dealer to enable this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to our forum. You did not mention your model and level C7. This needs to be known before anyone can suggest how and whether you can mirror your iphone on your car's nav screen.
2014 LT1 convertible. Only thing on my menu is the Onstar Nav with the compass

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
While you can't mirror your iPhone on your
2014 iPhone 7
You will not be able to mirror your phone on your C7. What you can do, is link the phone via Bluetooth and have Google maps directions coming across your sound system.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I just use WAZE with the nav. It gives me real time traffic and PO locations. The Chevy Nav for my LT3 is good to have, but I never pay for the updates. Roads around my way just don't change that often and if traveling far away, the combo of WAZE and Chevy Nav are all I ever need.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Never bought an update. Wife's Caddi was nine years old and son's Jeep is 8 years old. Every once in a while a come across a road change that isn't there. I like the in car's Nav and I like OnStar sending POIs to it when I call them. Mostly, I like the redundancy. I use the apple map app sometimes but I find it requires so much battery you better have it tethered. Even with all of that I still keep an atlas in my emergency/family car. If you think navigation upgrades are troublesome try finding an atlas you like these days.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah, but for the cost of one update, you can buy a 6" Garmin with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts. It's easier to use and functions better. It isn't just Chevrolet, It's all car makers that are charging way too much for updates. My wife's KIA cost $199 plus you had to buy a USB stick so they would deliver it.

Also with most people that aren't eating prunes, or using walkers, using their phones for almost everything. It won't be too many years, (in car manufacturer speak, not real person speak) where in car based nav, just won't be offered. It should just mirror your phone's nav app. Heck you can buy a new Nav module from the aftermarket, that lets you that now.
I recently did a 2 week road trip out west (ID, UT, MT, WY, CO) and there were many areas that we had poor or no cell reception. The GM Nav (admittedly not a Vette, but a ‘19 GMC Sierra) never stopped working. As to GM Nav updates, we have 3 GM vehicles with Nav, and update 1 each year.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I recently did a 2 week road trip out west (ID, UT, MT, WY, CO) and there were many areas that we had poor or no cell reception. The GM Nav (admittedly not a Vette, but a ‘19 GMC Sierra) never stopped working. As to GM Nav updates, we have 3 GM vehicles with Nav, and update 1 each year.
I don't disagree with you, but face facts. Nav as a factory option at $1700 is just stupid. Yes there are areas where there is little to no cell reception, but a Garmin Nuvi will always work.

Yes I have the NAV/PDR, and yes, I updated it every two years. Yes the new C8 will probably come with it, but I could do without it as long as it supports AA or CarPlay... (and while I'd like wireless, it's not a deal breaker)

Unlike BMW that only offers Carplay... (A company that doesn't now make a car I want to buy. Not a one of them...)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know why within a year of purchasing a new 2014 Vette I have been mailed from GM information to buy updates for my navigation system. We spend such much money in our car you would think this would be upgraded via satellite. My wife's Subaru Outback has a better Navigation system and no upgrades or cd's with new maps/routes required. I think GM could have done a better job with the navigation system they install in their corvettes. Looking forward to your responses, Juan
From 2016, they had Apple Car Play or Android Auto, which is much more accurate than the factory navigation. On a 2014, you don't have that option, unless you just use your phone. It's not bad at $99 for the upgrade, but anything other than that, I'd pass.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts