Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first Stingray 2 days ago. On the menu screen it shows Navigation but dealer said original owner didn't have it installed. Is it possible to purchase a card or whatever Corvettes take? And is this a service department job or can I do it myself. The car is 2015 Stingray LT1. Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
Welcome to our forum JP'sVette and congrats on your first Stingray! I believe you have a 1LT version. The navigation was an option if I recall correctly, IO6. If it was not part of the original purchase from GM, it is very expensive to retrofit. Instead, I suggest you use your smart phone and Bluetooth link it to your C7, then use Google Maps for navigation. The audio directions will play through your C7 infotainment system speakers.

Only if it originally was ordered with NAV could you update the original map software by purchasing the map updates, which GM sells at $99.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course the salesman told me it wouldn't be any big deal to add. :rolleyes: The Bluetooth sounds doable, I'll give that a try. Thank you for the info. Can't tell you how cool this car is. Oh.....But I guess you already know that. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,344 Posts
I do not like the factory navigation but it came bundled with the Performance Data Recorder. The best way to navigate is with a smart phone.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased my first Stingray 2 days ago. On the menu screen it shows Navigation but dealer said original owner didn't have it installed. Is it possible to purchase a card or whatever Corvettes take? And is this a service department job or can I do it myself. The car is 2015 Stingray LT1. Thank you in advance.
Go with the smart phone as recommended. IMO the entire entertainment system is terrible. My 3LT came with it and it is pathetic. The voice command system doesn't understand many simple commands and the manual input system is tedious at best and not at all user friendly. Same for the music element. I updated my nav system recently and many of the addresses I try to input (legitimate ones) are not in the data base and I sometimes find myself driving through fields according to the map display. Compared to the system in my wife's Accord, it is laughable. GM should be ashamed. Save your money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All this info is BS. I bought a 2LT w/o nav, and upgraded to factory nav on my own. All you have to do is replace the module that is located under the driver side dash. Pull out the module that is there, replace it with the GM factory Nav module, run the antenna up to the speaker well, and viola! You have GM factory navigation. It costs $999. You give the guy your VIN, he programs it and ships it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All this info is BS. I bought a 2LT w/o nav, and upgraded to factory nav on my own. All you have to do is replace the module that is located under the driver side dash. Pull out the module that is there, replace it with the GM factory Nav module, run the antenna up to the speaker well, and viola! You have GM factory navigation. It costs $999. You give the guy your VIN, he programs it and ships it out.
4mula1:
So you mean that the GM factory Nav module has to have the VIN added to it? Perhaps that's why since having the Infotainment system replaced in my 2014 Stingray Convertible [due to the common "stays dark after lowering it and bringing it back up" problem] I have tried two different map FOBs which failed to upgrade the system. Both the 1996 edition, which I had used years ago to upgrade the awful original maps on the original infotainment system, and the brand new 2020 edition failed to work on the new system installed by Hendrick's!

Perhaps this is what here.com (makers of the awful GM maps on the C7) meant when in their most recent email back to me they said: "we are curious as to whether or not the dealership has the ability to reset the system, or if the system has already been reset by the dealership? "

Between this infotainment system fiasco (4 times at Sir Charles Chevy and twice at Hendrick's), and the C8's "hood that pops open for no reason" problem, I am beginning to wonder what is going on with Chevrolet. "Nobody knows nothing."

Back to Hendrick's this coming Thursday again to tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am under the impression that it needs the VIN associated to it to work at all. It seems like yours works, just won't update? It is worth a try at the dealership though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am under the impression that it needs the VIN associated to it to work at all. It seems like yours works, just won't update? It is worth a try at the dealership though.
The system software wiped out the old maps during my first update attempt a few months back, but the new maps did not load. There are NO maps at all - it just says "Loading maps". I just want to reload maps so the car is "fully functional" in case I decide to sell it when I get a C8.

And yes, I normally use my phone for navigation. As many have said, the navigation system built into C7s leave a lot to be desired. I hope someone else is building the map system for the C8.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have a 2015 Corvette stingray that I purchased in 2018 with 7404 miles on it. I also thought that navigation was installed. However I found out after purchase that the only navigation was instruction from Onstar. When I looked to purchase the upgraded NAV system it was going to cost anywhere from $750-$1100 plus installation. From seeing this idea from another forum person, I put a Garmin behind the drop down viewing screen and it fits perfectly. This other person also detailed where I could get the correct cord to connect the Garvin and the plug-in. It works absolutely perfectly and it looks like it came installed with the car. Below Are two pictures. Also, using a phone to navigate is another excellent way to go. I love my Vette!
D0052A75-F10E-41C2-AD29-FF3E6E080730.jpeg
B5BE31A2-3FAF-46CD-BD49-CF70D525B833.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does look good. How did you mount it? Dumb question, but I assume the screen can still close?

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
I also have a 2015 Corvette stingray that I purchased in 2018 with 7404 miles on it. I also thought that navigation was installed. However I found out after purchase that the only navigation was instruction from Onstar. When I looked to purchase the upgraded NAV system it was going to cost anywhere from $750-$1100 plus installation. From seeing this idea from another forum person, I put a Garmin behind the drop down viewing screen and it fits perfectly. This other person also detailed where I could get the correct cord to connect the Garvin and the plug-in. It works absolutely perfectly and it looks like it came installed with the car. Below Are two pictures. Also, using a phone to navigate is another excellent way to go. I love my Vette! View attachment 277621 View attachment 277620
Looks very nice Dhoehl. Since I am sure that there are a number of members who are interested in this approach, would you mind providing some additional information, such as the model Garmin you went with, how you mounted it, and the type of power connection you ended up going with. Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, the screen does close. I have a Garmin Drive 60. It sits in the compartment at the perfect angle to the driver’s eye. And it locks in. There’s no wiggling around of the Garmin in the compartment. In order to attach it to the USB port in the car, you will need two USB attachments. One is a right angle attachment. The other is a short cord of about 9 inches. Both are pictured below. Without the right angle attachment the USB cord will stick out to far and you can’t get the Garmin in the compartment. The right angle USB buries the cord behind the Garmin. I am sorry but I don’t know the Internet company that I bought the USB cord and attachment from. But I’m sure that an Internet search will provide lots of places. I did not invent any of this. Someone else has already done this and provided the information on another forum. It might be the Corvette forum.
6F92FBFC-682A-4714-8D1D-560E6EDA4804.jpeg
938DE6D2-D438-440C-881E-7A2E97F3DA03.jpeg
0589A415-70CF-4008-B562-A5ECADDF49B2.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts