Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm finally at 3300 and getting close! Can't wait to have my new Stingray! :)

That being said, I'm excited but a little concerned at the same time. As awesome as this car seems, it appears to have some nuances as well. Radiators leaking, wheels chipping, GPS is no good, doors don't close the right way, and more... lots more!

I've had foreign cars for as long as I can remember. They are (in general) built very well. This is the first American car I've purchased in ages. I'm hoping it lasts and I don't run into a slew of problems.

So, I came here for some reassurance. Are you guys absolutely satisified with your purchase? Any regrets? Any recommendations for added 'stuff' from the dealer? (i.e. tire/wheel protection, extended warranty, etc.?) I do plan on getting my wheels powder coated but I wish I didn't have to do that.

Here is my build: Laguna blue 1LT Coupe Z51, black wheels, 7 speed, magnetic ride, GPS, carbon flash stinger stripe, spoiler, and mirrors.

I've heard about rocks being kicked up from the size of the tires and causing small chips in the paint as well. I heard the mud flaps/guards from Chevy aren't that good. Any other options?

I want to summarize by saying I am definitely excited about this car and I don't regret it. It just seems that a lot of people here have quite a few problems that should not be problems on a brand new vehicle. Hoping for some encouragement!

Thanks, can't wait to post pictures of her. :)

Jason

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
One of the worst things you can do is frequent online forums while you are waiting for your car, especially if this is your first experience with the make/model. Always remember, forums attract complaints. When something isn't exactly perfect, even if it's a perception issue, people want to tell the world and forums fill that void.

What you read here could be parroted in one form or another on Audi, BMW, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, ........ forums. No auto maker is immune.

We just picked ours up a little less than 1 month ago and drove it 1000 miles in the first 4 days of ownership and it's been perfect. Nothing, and mean absolutely nothing is or has gone wrong with the car. Fit and finish is on par with new vehicles I have purchased over the last 5 years, mechanically everything works as advertised and the performance is simply world class. We are 100% satisfied with the car and have had absolutely no regrets.

Sure, the Infotainment system isn't the best out there, so what. It does what I ask it to do, navigated me home without issue and as I become more in tune with it's idiosyncrasies it's becoming second nature to operate.

No issue what so ever mechanically including oil in the intake, leaking radiators, strange sounds or funky operation. As far as I can tell it's working as designed and working quite well I might add.

As for the splash guards, they should come standard. They work surprisingly well considering their size and unless you already know, you would never guess they didn't come standard, they blend in that well.

Sit back, chill and get ready for your new arrival with excitement. Don't let anything you read on this or other forums take away from that.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Jason if you had the time to look at the collective posts here at Stingrayforums.com my guess is you would realize a lot of us are extremely pleased with our Stingrays. Many have had no real issues at all. While I think you will get a number of suggestions on what you might want to add to your new Z51, the one recommendation that seems to be pretty consistent is to purchase the OEM 'mud' flaps and replace the ones that come with your car. It is an easy diy job. Best of luck with your new Vette and may you enjoy miles of smiles.:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Same here, no problems at all! :) Well, I take that back -- the problem I have is the weather! I need more sunny days to cruise in :mad:.

Reactions: jsvette

·
18,670 Posts
X2, everything "mjw930" said. Just got off the phone with a one great Florida friend, and his StingRay, that he has had since November, has been magnificent, in fact he told me that he still finds himself going out to his garage just to look at it. Our other two wonderful Florida friends have had their StingRays since September 20th and October 6th, and they too still have a "crush" on their car -- also not a single problem.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
No problems , not a single one unless I instigated them....LOL

But most importantly, I DON'T LOOK FOR PROBLEMS EITHER....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
One of the worst things you can do is frequent online forums while you are waiting for your car, especially if this is your first experience with the make/model. Always remember, forums attract complaints. When something isn't exactly perfect, even if it's a perception issue, people want to tell the world and forums fill that void.

What you read here could be parroted in one form or another on Audi, BMW, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, ........ forums. No auto maker is immune.

We just picked ours up a little less than 1 month ago and drove it 1000 miles in the first 4 days of ownership and it's been perfect. Nothing, and mean absolutely nothing is or has gone wrong with the car. Fit and finish is on par with new vehicles I have purchased over the last 5 years, mechanically everything works as advertised and the performance is simply world class. We are 100% satisfied with the car and have had absolutely no regrets.

Sure, the Infotainment system isn't the best out there, so what. It does what I ask it to do, navigated me home without issue and as I become more in tune with it's idiosyncrasies it's becoming second nature to operate.

No issue what so ever mechanically including oil in the intake, leaking radiators, strange sounds or funky operation. As far as I can tell it's working as designed and working quite well I might add.

As for the splash guards, they should come standard. They work surprisingly well considering their size and unless you already know, you would never guess they didn't come standard, they blend in that well.

Sit back, chill and get ready for your new arrival with excitement. Don't let anything you read on this or other forums take away from that.
Mark, this was one of the best posts I've read on the forum since joining and your advise is unquestionably solid and very beneficial to those of us waiting for our new Corvette's. I think the primary reason most people join forums is to educate themselves and gather as much information possible before their big purchase. But, like you said people want to tell the world of all the bad things even if it's just according to their perception. So I guess our attempts to gather additional information ends up being counter productive by much of the negativity that appears on many forums. I think I'm going to take your advice though and just chill while waiting for my new car next year. Thanks!

·
1,400 Posts
Other than a minor panel alignment issue, I have had no issues. Love this car!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Jason if you had the time to look at the collective posts here at Stingrayforums.com my guess is you would realize a lot of us are extremely pleased with our Stingrays. Many have had no real issues at all. While I think you will get a number of suggestions on what you might want to add to your new Z51, the one recommendation that seems to be pretty consistent is to purchase the OEM 'mud' flaps and replace the ones that come with your car. It is an easy diy job. Best of luck with your new Vette and may you enjoy miles of smiles.:cool:
10 Minute job, my car didn't even make it out of the museum parking lot before they were installed.

IMG_0998.jpg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've had mine for 2 months, no issues. steers like it's on rails and is smokin' fast, drives straight and smooth dry as bone underneath (lifted it up 3 times)
My advice is listen to the old saying "don't pay rent before it's due" :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My car has been perfect Jason. No issues of any kind so far. No car is perfect and things can happen to any car at any time. However, they are machines and machines can be fixed when needed, if needed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I will also chime in here as well, my car has not had one issue, picked it up on 4/17 and we have over 4,000 problem free miles, (only issue I have is I got the car for me and the wife keeps driving it as much or more than I do!!!).

I have not leaks, no rattles and no concerns. I am not an advanced GPS user like some of the others on the forum, I don't do POI's and I just load and go. It works fine for me. To date I have not had one single error or wrong turn information.

Remember that there are about 3,600 members on the forum, and there will be about 35,000 or so 2014's built this model year. Yes some people have had issue, but the majority have not. Get the car drive it and just try and wipe the smile off your face as you will be overwhelmingly delighted.

And yes get the mud flaps, and I wish I had gotten Lloyd mats instead of the GM ones.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Jason, I had the following pictured problem;
IMG_3074.JPG

Long story short, it was because some dip wad mechanic at MOUNTAIN VIEW CHEVROLET IN UPLAND CA overfilled the oil on my Z51, most likely during the pre-delivery inspection. My guess is they had the previous specs of 10.3 quarts instead of the updated 9.8 quarts for a Z51. Now, not being mechanically inclined, I listened to their lies and finally had to take it to another dealer for the work......and they fixed it after the third time and it hasn't leaked a drop since. In the interim, I was able to get a complete buy back of the vehicle from GM. Any other car that I purchased new and had this problem I would have NEVER bought another......but this car, heck yes, I'm going to order a 2015! With what I have learned on this forum I know exactly what to expect now and what to purchase as a modification. This car out performs ANYTHING I have driven in my entire life.

You are going to have more issues with your dealer than you will with this car.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Oh yeah, get the mud flaps. I would also consider Xpel paint protection film on the front bumper area and mirrors at a minimum. Maybe Clear Plex protective film for the windshield.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I'm feeling good!

Thank you for the replies all. I want to emphasize I am not discouraged by what some post on here! It is frustrating to some, I'm sure, but overall, it seems most are very content. That's a good thing. :)

So when you say replace the flaps that came with the car and get the OEM flaps, what flaps come up with the car? They're not OEM? :confused:

If my dealer has them, I'll get them. I do remember seeing a post about the flaps elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks again for the advice and encouraging words fellas. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
162 Posts
10 Minute job, my car didn't even make it out of the museum parking lot before they were installed.

View attachment 9757
I just ordered the mud flaps - although I can't remember the last time I went into the woods and got mud all over the car - probably never! They should call those things "rock flaps" - what do you think?

I also scheduled light surgery for this Saturday - going in for plastic surgery - 3M Pro (I know, its not the XPEL but that's life in the fast lane). This should keep the face young and vibrant. I'll have to get the chin lifted later. :D

Tony Soprano.jpg

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
For better or for worse it is good that you go into this purchase with both eyes open. I like to think we here on this forum present a fair and balanced view of C-7 ownership. Problem areas get highlighted because...Well it was a problem for at least one owner, and in a good many occasions it is for others as well. I don't share the view that you should not visit online forums looking for info. on a car that your interested in. You just have to appreciate that in most instances people want to know how to deal with issues they find with their car. Most don't go out of their way to shout the car's praises. Many find a bit of relief in knowing that their problem has been experienced by others, and that common experience leads to help in righting that problem by the educated responses of fellow forum members. We are all in this together and by exchanging factual info. we can only be better consumers / owners.
Let me get off this soap box before I fall off...:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GM splash guards? Can't seem to find them online. Anyone have a good link? Thanks again for everyone's words and tips! :cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Okay, I'm feeling good!

Thank you for the replies all. I want to emphasize I am not discouraged by what some post on here! It is frustrating to some, I'm sure, but overall, it seems most are very content. That's a good thing. :)

So when you say replace the flaps that came with the car and get the OEM flaps, what flaps come up with the car? They're not OEM? :confused:

If my dealer has them, I'll get them. I do remember seeing a post about the flaps elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks again for the advice and encouraging words fellas. Much appreciated!
They aren't called mudflaps, they are called splash guards. There are already splash guards installed on the car but they don't extend past the bodywork. The accessory splash guards extend about 1" at their widest point and do not detract from the looks at all.

More than likely they aren't standard because they cause a tad more drag and drag is evil in these EPA mandated MPG times.

Reactions: Boomer
1 - 20 of 26 Posts