Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all, I'm about to purchase my first ever Corvette, can't wait.

I'm coming from a 2007 350Z 6MT convertible, and getting into a 2015 Z51 3LT 7MT convertible with 37k miles on it. I'll attach some photos below.

I don't hit the track often, but seek out back roads / canyons at least a couple times a month. The right twisty road with the top down and the engine screaming - that's my happy place! I figure I might miss the more compact size and the low cost of ownership of my Z, but I imagine the Vette wins in most other categories (although I welcome any thoughts you all might have on this).

• What do you all love and what do you hate about your Vettes?
  • Any cool Easter eggs?
  • Any suggestions for a newbie or things to look out for? Common issues?
  • Mine has the comp seats...I'm about 6ft 195 pounds, in my 30s, hope I'll find them comfortable long term.
  • Mine has the black wheels...haven't decided yet how I feel about those. Anyone with silver or gray wheels interested in trading? Or any suggestions for me if I wanted to change wheels / wheel color? I'd be looking for an OEM look.

Thanks for welcoming a newbie!

Vehicle Speedometer Car Gear shift Trip computer
Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Car Steering part
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Corvette stingray Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,832 Posts
Welcome to our forum z51stringray and congrats on your Z51 purchase. I think you will find lots of good information on our forum, and responses to your specific question through the use of our "Search Community" function at the top of every page.

Reactions: z51stringray

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats and welcome. After reading your post there are only two things I would share with a new Z51 owner. You will also find these in the search. 1. The factory camber on the front wheels of the Z51 can lead to fast wear no the inside of the tire tread. Until you know if yours has already been adjusted be on look out for this. 2. See wheel hop in your manual and check out Ackermann Effect on this forum. I feel like those two thing surprise people from time to time. Not an easter-egg but I was surprised at how easy it was to lower using the factory bolts. What do I like? How well it sticks to the ground in a turn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats and welcome. After reading your post there are only two things I would share with a new Z51 owner. You will also find these in the search. 1. The factory camber on the front wheels of the Z51 can lead to fast wear no the inside of the tire tread. Until you know if yours has already been adjusted be on look out for this. 2. See wheel hop in your manual and check out Ackermann Effect on this forum. I feel like those two thing surprise people from time to time. Not an easter-egg but I was surprised at how easy it was to lower using the factory bolts. What do I like? How well it sticks to the ground in a turn.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I’ll be on the lookout for uneven wear on front tires.

Regarding the tire hop - my car has all season tires, sounds like that largely resolves that issue?

lastly - what exactly do you mean by being easy to lower using factory bolts?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Welcome aboard Z51Stingray, congratulations! I think you'll love that car. I had the 15 Z51 targa and then upgraded to a 17 Grand Sport, both manual. Yes I understand that "happy place" effect. It is very nice to be in it.

While I don't typically track my car, I do run the Big Bend Open Road Race and now the Silver State Classic Challenge..... fun times indeed! Like Alchemist, the car hugs the road even at 150mph for 90 miles.

Lastly, love those black wheels and red seats! If they would fit in my 17 GS, I will trade you the seats. :)

Reactions: z51stringray

·
Administrator
16,832 Posts
Another thing to review in your manual (or use the search here) is how to measure the oil with your dry sump engine. It is different from many cars on the road, and if not followed can result in overfilling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome, you’ll enjoy the manual, I’d recommend doing the 1-4 skip shift delete, it’s fairly simple and inexpensive. I can’t remember which product I used, but doing a search will come up with a couple of choices.

Hello all, I'm about to purchase my first ever Corvette, can't wait.

I'm coming from a 2007 350Z 6MT convertible, and getting into a 2015 Z51 3LT 7MT convertible with 37k miles on it. I'll attach some photos below.

I don't hit the track often, but seek out back roads / canyons at least a couple times a month. The right twisty road with the top down and the engine screaming - that's my happy place! I figure I might miss the more compact size and the low cost of ownership of my Z, but I imagine the Vette wins in most other categories (although I welcome any thoughts you all might have on this).

• What do you all love and what do you hate about your Vettes?
  • Any cool Easter eggs?
  • Any suggestions for a newbie or things to look out for? Common issues?
  • Mine has the comp seats...I'm about 6ft 195 pounds, in my 30s, hope I'll find them comfortable long term.
  • Mine has the black wheels...haven't decided yet how I feel about those. Anyone with silver or gray wheels interested in trading? Or any suggestions for me if I wanted to change wheels / wheel color? I'd be looking for an OEM look.

Thanks for welcoming a newbie!

View attachment 281996 View attachment 281998 View attachment 281999 View attachment 282000 View attachment 282001

1 - 7 of 7 Posts