Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got one installed? I have the dry Airraid and am seeing a drop of 1 mpg around town...any other owners see this?

If it continues, mine's for sale....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well more air more fuel more power. Just works that way. :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks exactly like what the green filter did to mine when I had it in. Dropped it from 26+ to barely 24 on my commutes to work and back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wonder if it's like oversizing headers... sometimes, depending on mods, your HP can drop if you make the primary tubes and exhaust too big (less scavenging effect)... If anyone remembers the early Chrysler cross ram dual quads... with the LONG runners... that was to boost low RPM torque... where early Z28 short cross ram dual quads was to boost high RPM HP... just rambling... anyone else out here old enough to remember those?

·
18,670 Posts
I think the Airraid air filter is an excellent product that would work well in conjunction with other parts, e.g. headers, free flowing exhausts, etc. to increase power. But maybe not in isolation as a single mod. Perhaps GM got exactly the right air filter for a stock StingRay.

Like the idea of your checking back in a month Glen, so we get a "larger sample."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wonder if the air raid will be good w my recent cutouts? Maybe I should run the cutouts for a couple weeks to get mpg baseline (air raid in a box in my garage, arrived Thursday).

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've said this before: engineers with thousands of hours testing this induction system, and some snake oil salesman takes a piece of sewer pipe and an oil soaked rag filter, places it in front of a very sensitive Mass Airflow sensor, and claims it will create world peace. Who is to believe?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Might always be one of those for every action there is a reaction meaning increasing the airflow is changing the computer calibrations to also increase fuel level? Which would account for lower MPG? Remember these things are nothing more than computers with wheels. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
A loss of 1 mpg isn't that big a deal....is it? What about the increase in horsepower/torque? Remember...we're driving a high-performance sports car guys! Why are we getting upset over incidentals, like 1 MPG? Look at the benefits of the mods we make usually rated by horsepower and torque numbers, which are much more beneficial to us in the long run!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You wanna play you gotta pay. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
A loss of 1 mpg isn't that big a deal....is it? What about the increase in horsepower/torque? Remember...we're driving a high-performance sports car guys! Why are we getting upset over incidentals, like 1 MPG? Look at the benefits of the mods we make usually rated by horsepower and torque numbers, which are much more beneficial to us in the long run!
I agree but I didn't see any noticeable difference in the hp or torque. If anything I thought acceleration rate decreased.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You wanna play you gotta pay. :)
I disagree, increasing airflow is what this product is advertised to do and based on that claim that should increase power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve gets it.......Yes 1 mpg is a big deal, WHEN YOU GET NO GAINS IN HP OR TORQUE THAT IS PERCEPTIBLE.

I am not new to this rodeo, and had a full CAI on my camaro and got better mpg. And countless K&N''s that at least mpg did not go down.

The point is airaid is a quality product and I do not expect to lose 10% mpg with it.......THIS IS NOT WHAT IS ADVERTISED.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be on the phone to AirRaid (sp) tomorrow to get the details on their product and confirm what should be expected. If they can't provide sensible answers, send it back! Then look for something that will work correctly. We're talking $400 to $500 here at least. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts