Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Product Reviews

While at SEMA/aapex 2018, in addition to great looking cars and trucks, I came across several products and/or technologies that peaked my interest. For example: the possibility to use hydrogen generator technology to clean out carbon build up in engines, an improved CTEK battery charger, new detailing tools, portable work lights, alternative paint protection coatings, etc.

Over the next few months I hope to do product reviews on some of these, similar to one’s I’ve posted in the past:
• Car detailing products https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/detailing/52818-redhot-gets-cleaned-outside-3.html#post621314
• “Product Review- Dash Cameras with Navigation: The evolution of Man’s need for direction & documentation” that includes the Garmin Drive Assist 51 LMT-S, Magellan RoadMate 6630T-L and as a reference, the Papago GoSafe 760, 520, S30 and 30G dash cams,and located at http://wp.me/p81CBz-99
• Comparison of Garmin DriveAssist 50 with Papago S30 DashCam on as StingrayForums.com at post #1https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/around-garage/16964-dawn-combination-dashcam-navigation-units-part-1-a-2.html#post223861
• Here is a brief S30 dashcam video from a photo-shoot I did out at Valley of Fire, Nevada. on my photography web site [video]http://www.daumphotography.com/Events/Valley-of-Fire-Video/[/video]
• The comparison review article between the 520 and S30 dashcams is at https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/around-garage/16243-dashcam-shootout.html#post214295 . It includes both still shots and videos.
• A review of Race Deck flooring https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/how-s-diy-s-guides/11869-installing-racedeck-garage-flooring-6.html#post155043
• Here is a review of several automotive roof panel heat shields for our Stingrays https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-accessories/5316-transparent-roof-panel-shade-options-tested-2.html#post63456

Stay tuned.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
“CT5 Time to Go” CTEK Product Review

This review is of the newest CTEK charger/maintainer. It is the “CT5 Time to Go” CTEK, and was provided to me by CTEK.

For those of you not familiar with CTEK, they are a major OEM branded car battery charger manufacturer, for example Alfa Romero, Arctic Cat, Audi, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Ferrari, Husqvana, Rolls-Royce, Saab and Yamaha. They also enjoy a healthy portion of the after-market car battery chargers under the CTEK label.

I have been using CTEKs for about 15 years for maintaining my automotive batteries. I started with the Multi US 3300, then the MUS 4.3. I actually never had one stop working properly (even after a couple of them were dropped), but I added as their technology improved, or I simply needed an additional charger for another of my cars.

CTEK chargers (non-OEM) typically come packaged with two ways to connect the charger to your car battery: ‘alligator’ clips to temporarily connect directly to the battery terminals, and what they call the Comfort Connect which has bolt connector eyelets that you can permanently connect to the respective terminal stud nut. If you do it this way, the Comfort Connect has a secure connector with a sealing flap, that connects easily to the output cable from the CTEK unit when you need it. A third option, especially for cars with dedicated charging accessory outlets like the Corvette Stingray has, is a Comfort Connect Cig-Plug. I actually use all three methods for different vehicles- permanent eyelet to the battery terminals on one of my vehicles that doesn’t have easy access to the battery and no live accessory plug, the alligator clips on another car where it doesn’t have a convenient live accessory plug, but does have it’s battery easily accessed in the engine compartment, and the Cig-Plug solution for my Stingray with the dedicated charging port in the trunk.

Regardless of which method you use to connect to your car (all three methods are interchangeable via the Comfort Connect end on the output cable), the unit works the same way.

So, this brings us to the latest CTEK CT5 Time To Go.

View attachment © JwDaum (4 of 1).JPG

The unit it self looks fairly similar to the MUS 4.3, as can be seen in this picture with the Time To Go on top.

View attachment © JwDaum (2 of 9).JPG

All CTEK units for the most part perform similar tasks: charging regular wet lead batteries and AGM (gel batteries), intelligently maintaining the proper float charge regardless of how long the unit is attached to the battery, automatic desulphation program, and reconditioning of batteries. The newest feature of the CTEK CT5 Time To Go, is the LED indication of the time remaining from a depleted battery until you can attempt to start the car “TRY”, or until it is ready to use “GO” and at 100% “CARE.” It also incorporates temperature compensation to adjust the optimum charge based on the battery temperature.

Here are images reflecting the unit unplugged, LEDs on initial plug in, and at “GO” as well as “CARE.”

View attachment © JwDaum (6 of 9).JPG

View attachment © JwDaum (7 of 9).JPG

View attachment © JwDaum (8 of 9).JPG

© JwDaum (9 of 9).JPG

Using the CTEK is straight forward, if you are connecting via the supplied alligator clips or eyelets you are set to go out of the box.

© JwDaum (1 of 9).jpg

If you are going to attach via a dedicated charging accessory you need to purchase the optional Cig-Plug.

© JwDaum (3 of 9).jpg

Here is a picture of the CTEK connected to the dedicated charging accessory in the Stingray. You can also see the Comfort Connect between the Cig-Plug option and the unit's power line.

View attachment © JwDaum (5 of 9).jpg

Pricing: the CTEK CT5 Time To Go lists at $113.99 and the Cig-Plug lists at $11.99. However, you can usually find deals on Amazon or elsewhere. It appears to be pricing out at about $30 more than the MUS 4.3 currently, which is very comparable, except it does not directly display any information relating to time remaining in the charge cycle before you can attempt to drive your car.

As noted earlier, I can attest to the CTEK’s build quality having dropped one of my units to the garage floor with zero damage :mask:(well, other than I felt pretty dumb for doing it). The units are weatherproof and approved for outdoor use. They operate properly from -4 degrees F to +122 degrees F. The wiring as well as Comfort Connect has never failed on my units over 15 years of use. They also have built in back-up in the event that power is interrupted. The unit will resume at the step it was at and for the type battery you selected in mode (regular or AGM). Also, they will warn you if you attempt to attach with incorrect polarity and prevent any circuit damage.

As to which model to buy, it really depends on your intended application. If you are looking for a highly reliable charger/maintainer, one that you can set and forget about, a CTEK unit will serve you well.

If you have a question, please feel free to ask! Happy charging.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John. I should be perfect for your mid-engine Corvette (unless, of course, it comes only with an all electric drive system ;) ;) )

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too like and use CTEK products. I got my CTEK 4,3 model as soon as I got my new C7 3 years ago, and I use it to keep my Corvette C7 and all my other cars' batteries in top condition.
This new CTEK MXS 5.0 is going to replace the 4.3 model and it is selling at Amazon for just $68.00.
Do a search on Amazon for "CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0".

It comes with battery clamps of course, but I highly recommend to also buy the very useful cigarette plug attachment accessory called CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug that sells for about $12.00, two models are available so also do a search on Amazon for "CTEK (56-870)", see it here:
1.jpg

This very practical cigarette plug attachment easily connects this charger to your Corvette's plug in the trunk (on the right side), which is an unswitched plug (always on, does not get turned off like the plug under the dash which is a switched plug which gets turned off when you turn your car off). You must connect the CTEK to the trunk's cigarette plug to charge your battery.
So for about $80 you can get a complete CTEK charging system to charge and maintain all your auto batteries.
I highly recommend it.
FYI: The CTEK models sold in the US are only 110-120 VAC models, I am writing this as a buyer in a country that uses 220-240 VAC was unhappy that he could not use it.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This next set of reviews are of three new products from MYCHANIC. Covered are their Detailing Rig, their Sidekick Stool- SK2 and their POD Light, all were provided to me by Delk, distributer for the MYCHANIC brand.

© J Daum (1 of 2).JPG

The Detailing Rig is extremely well constructed and thought through. It lists a 350 pound/ 158 kg capacity, and country of origin being China. It comes with a one-year limited warranty. The Detailing Rig comes equipped with a number of useful options including the nicely sized soft wheels, lots of storage under the seat, spray bottle hanging racks, a wash bucket with removable grit trap tray, and of course a bottle holder. I particularly like that the seat can be easily lifted off of its studs and put on the floor to use as a kneeling pad. Very useful for working on the wheels, etc.

View attachment © J W Daum (13 of 16).jpg

The Sidekick is rugged, well-constructed and a very practical means of bringing your tools to the project. It rolls on four soft large caster wheels. It lists a 350 pound/ 158 kg capacity, and country of origin being China. It comes with a two-year limited warranty.

The POD Light includes a magnetic base that allows the light to be rotated 360 degrees, and the base itself adheres to anything metallic (you can see it siting in tray on the Sidekick image above. The unit has a high and low output setting. It is a compact, very well made and relatively bright ultra-portable light. It is rated at 250 lumens, and comes with the 3 AA batteries. The batteries can power it, on the high output setting, for approximately 7 hours continuous use. In addition to using it with its magnetic base, it can easily be hand held or rested near the area you are wanting to illuminate (if there is no metal for the base). I found the unit just right for shooting light down in the engine wheel or for example, checking how much life is left on a brake pad.

For more details and images please see https://insight.daumphotography.com/2019/03/23/product-review-detailing-and-wrenching-aids/.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This review is of MYCHANIC's new 3T Jack.

Quick Facts:
-lift 3” to 20”
-capacity 3 tons (6000 pounds)
-all steel construction weighing 78 pounds
-rolls on polyurethane wheels

The MYCHANIC 3T Low Profile Floor Jack turns out to be perfect for working on our Stingrays (and any other low to the ground vehicle, along with regular clearance cars and light trucks). As can be seen in the following image, it easily goes under RedHot (even with the Stingray having jacking pucks installed on its frame at the recommended jack points)

View attachment c JWDaum (11 of 15).JPG

View attachment c JWDaum (10 of 15).JPG

In addition to it being a true low profile jack, I particularly like the polyurethane wheels. It rolls easily on concrete, tile, pavers, etc., without any noise and doesn't scuff the surface. It is very well constructed, a snap to use and looks sharp as well :cool:

For more details and images please see https://insight.daumphotography.com/2019/07/24/product-review-getting-jacked/

·
Registered
52 Posts
This review is of the newest CTEK charger/maintainer. It is the “CT5 Time to Go” CTEK, and was provided to me by CTEK.

For those of you not familiar with CTEK, they are a major OEM branded car battery charger manufacturer, for example Alfa Romero, Arctic Cat, Audi, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Ferrari, Husqvana, Rolls-Royce, Saab and Yamaha. They also enjoy a healthy portion of the after-market car battery chargers under the CTEK label.

I have been using CTEKs for about 15 years for maintaining my automotive batteries. I started with the Multi US 3300, then the MUS 4.3. I actually never had one stop working properly (even after a couple of them were dropped), but I added as their technology improved, or I simply needed an additional charger for another of my cars.

CTEK chargers (non-OEM) typically come packaged with two ways to connect the charger to your car battery: ‘alligator’ clips to temporarily connect directly to the battery terminals, and what they call the Comfort Connect which has bolt connector eyelets that you can permanently connect to the respective terminal stud nut. If you do it this way, the Comfort Connect has a secure connector with a sealing flap, that connects easily to the output cable from the CTEK unit when you need it. A third option, especially for cars with dedicated charging accessory outlets like the Corvette Stingray has, is a Comfort Connect Cig-Plug. I actually use all three methods for different vehicles- permanent eyelet to the battery terminals on one of my vehicles that doesn’t have easy access to the battery and no live accessory plug, the alligator clips on another car where it doesn’t have a convenient live accessory plug, but does have it’s battery easily accessed in the engine compartment, and the Cig-Plug solution for my Stingray with the dedicated charging port in the trunk.

Regardless of which method you use to connect to your car (all three methods are interchangeable via the Comfort Connect end on the output cable), the unit works the same way.

So, this brings us to the latest CTEK CT5 Time To Go.

View attachment 266666

The unit it self looks fairly similar to the MUS 4.3, as can be seen in this picture with the Time To Go on top.

View attachment 266668

All CTEK units for the most part perform similar tasks: charging regular wet lead batteries and AGM (gel batteries), intelligently maintaining the proper float charge regardless of how long the unit is attached to the battery, automatic desulphation program, and reconditioning of batteries. The newest feature of the CTEK CT5 Time To Go, is the LED indication of the time remaining from a depleted battery until you can attempt to start the car “TRY”, or until it is ready to use “GO” and at 100% “CARE.” It also incorporates temperature compensation to adjust the optimum charge based on the battery temperature.

Here are images reflecting the unit unplugged, LEDs on initial plug in, and at “GO” as well as “CARE.”

View attachment 266670

View attachment 266672

View attachment 266674

View attachment 266676

Using the CTEK is straight forward, if you are connecting via the supplied alligator clips or eyelets you are set to go out of the box.

View attachment 266678

If you are going to attach via a dedicated charging accessory you need to purchase the optional Cig-Plug.

View attachment 266680

Here is a picture of the CTEK connected to the dedicated charging accessory in the Stingray. You can also see the Comfort Connect between the Cig-Plug option and the unit's power line.

View attachment 266682

Pricing: the CTEK CT5 Time To Go lists at $113.99 and the Cig-Plug lists at $11.99. However, you can usually find deals on Amazon or elsewhere. It appears to be pricing out at about $30 more than the MUS 4.3 currently, which is very comparable, except it does not directly display any information relating to time remaining in the charge cycle before you can attempt to drive your car.

As noted earlier, I can attest to the CTEK’s build quality having dropped one of my units to the garage floor with zero damage :mask:(well, other than I felt pretty dumb for doing it). The units are weatherproof and approved for outdoor use. They operate properly from -4 degrees F to +122 degrees F. The wiring as well as Comfort Connect has never failed on my units over 15 years of use. They also have built in back-up in the event that power is interrupted. The unit will resume at the step it was at and for the type battery you selected in mode (regular or AGM). Also, they will warn you if you attempt to attach with incorrect polarity and prevent any circuit damage.

As to which model to buy, it really depends on your intended application. If you are looking for a highly reliable charger/maintainer, one that you can set and forget about, a CTEK unit will serve you well.

If you have a question, please feel free to ask! Happy charging.
Is the Charger that came with my Vette which is a Ctek compatable with maintaining a AGM?

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the Charger that came with my Vette which is a Ctek compatable with maintaining a AGM?
I only have the CTEK charger/maintainers, but believe that the OEM (CTEK) charger does not have the separate specific setting for AGM batteries (as you can see in the above images).

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2016 C7 Z51 special order was delivered to me from the factory in December 2015, and as it is a joy and fun car to drive and not my regular car, I average driving it about once a week. I now have a little over 6K miles on it. Long winter and snowy months in Colorado prevents me from driving it more. I maintain its original battery with my CTEK MUSE 4,3.
My question to experts who could help: How often should I use my CTEK to keep my battery healthy for as long as possible?
Is once a month recommended or use a different timetable?
Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2016 C7 Z51 special order was delivered to me from the factory in December 2015, and as it is a joy and fun car to drive and not my regular car, I average driving it about once a week. I now have a little over 6K miles on it. Long winter and snowy months in Colorado prevents me from driving it more. I maintain its original battery with my CTEK MUSE 4,3.
My question to experts who could help: How often should I use my CTEK to keep my battery healthy for as long as possible?
Is once a month recommended or use a different timetable?
Thank you.
Hi John,
I'd suggest that you keep your beauty on the CTEK anytime you are not driving it for a week or more. Your OEM battery is potentially nearing the end of its life at this point. You can do no harm is keeping it attached to and maintained by the CTEK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi John,
I'd suggest that you keep your beauty on the CTEK anytime you are not driving it for a week or more. Your OEM battery is potentially nearing the end of its life at this point. You can do no harm is keeping it attached to and maintained by the CTEK.
Thanks for your help jsvette, so I will use my CTEK weekly till I need a new battery which I expect to be in the near future. I also read about your new battery recommendation which I have saved for future need.
Here is your battery article:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Definitely agree with jsvette. I keep my 2015 on a smart charger year round when it is not used for more than two days or more . I have practiced this with all my vehicles and as such got very good results in long battery usage. All my vehicles are pre wired with the plug and play adapter to the battery and smart chargers ready to go. Simple as parking the car and plugging it in to the charger.
I did just replace my 2015 battery just as a precaution as my vehicle was in the shop for another repair and wanted to be sure I didn't have a failure when I least expected it. I would add the labor cost from the dealer was only $25.00 so I just had them replace my battery with the Delco- Gold 42 month battery at $165.00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts