Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know how long will it take for a new Corvette to be build these days once Chevrolet accepts the new order allocation?
Thanks a lot for helping.

Reactions: Mshan

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,077 Posts
The July orders have September TPWs (Target Production Week). Depending on how many allocations are distributed in the next order cycle, production of those will likely be October (possibly into November - depending on how large the total allocation is).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zymurgy.
If I complete my customization middle of next month (September) and my dealer, MacMulkin, sends my order right away to Chevrolet (assuming they have allocations) and Chevrolet does accept it, what is a realistic time frame for my new 2022 C8 to be built?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
The answer is it really depends on several factors, including how many allocations are issued for a given month. Back in March, April and May each month's allocations were for enough cars to take 5 to 6 weeks to build. So if you were in the March allocation, your car might be built in the first of those 6 weeks, or in the last. No way to predict at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The answer is it really depends on several factors, including how many allocations are issued for a given month. Back in March, April and May each month's allocations were for enough cars to take 5 to 6 weeks to build. So if you were in the March allocation, your car might be built in the first of those 6 weeks, or in the last. No way to predict at all.
Thanks meyerweb. It is best then just to be patient and let time decide what really may happen.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Yeah, Bob hit it on the head.

As an aside, and also because I have a little bit of excitement associated with what I am about to share, I will add the following about production at a different GM plant, the Orion Assembly, in Lake Orion, Michigan.

Around the beginning of July, I spoke with the sales manager at a small dealership in a tiny town less than 100 miles from my home about ordering a 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV. For those of you who may remember, I also chose to buy Caroline from a small, local dealership near where I lived at the time in California, although that "small" dealership in California is mammoth when compared to this small, rural dealership here in North Carolina.

Anyway, the sales manager told me that he had recently sold his only Bolt EUV off his showroom floor within a couple of days of its arrival, so there was a chance that he would get another allocation before too long as a reward for selling that one.

Furthermore, he said he had zero customers on his waiting list for the Bolt EUV, so I would be first in line for his next allocation. He said he didn't know how long it would take to get the next one, but I told him that was okay, because I just wanted the vehicle by approximately mid-January (around the time of my wife's birthday). He reiterated that he couldn't make any promises, but he was fully confident he could get it well before January.

Also, since he had zero customers waiting in line, he was happy to build it for us any way we wanted, and didn't even ask for a single cent for a deposit. I am under no obligation to buy it, and, if I bought another one elsewhere before he eventually got his delivered, he would just sell it to someone else. He did want to know the color combination, and I told him bright blue exterior with gray interior, and he said that would be fine, and to let him know whatever other options that we wanted.

So, on Tuesday, July 6, we settled on the final customization options and sent the information to him for the build.

Later that week, he received his "reward" allocation, which he matched to our order on Saturday, July 10, when he entered our order into his system.

The order was picked up the next week, and soon thereafter, much to my surprise, it was assigned a TPW of Monday, July 26!

The car was built on Friday, July 30, and was transported via rail. It arrived at the railhead about 150 miles from his dealership on Friday, August 13.

I will talk to the dealership again tomorrow, and see if the local car-carrying truck has shown up with it yet.

Anyway, I had never heard of such a rapid turn-around for a order being put into GM Workbench, to a vehicle being built (20 days).

I just thought I would share this.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Congrats Rodney. That's exciting. Unfortunately, that type of 'lightning fast' order to delivery doesn't occur with our Stingrays.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Corvette production is going to start on Sept. 6, why is genius GM/Chevrolet going live with their Build & Price Tool on Sept. 14?
How is a customer going to customize their new order?
Something is wrong here and Chevy is not appearing to be smart and efficient.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If Corvette production is going to start on Sept. 6, why is genius GM/Chevrolet going live with their Build & Price Tool on Sept. 14?
B&P usually comes after. Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense. Ford does the same thing.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B&P usually comes after. Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense. Ford does the same thing.
Thanks for your input Dogula. I guess sometimes common sense and logic is elusive with large companies.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Dealers already have full pricing through GM Workbench, so you can work with your salesman to finalize what you want. Ideal? No, but at least possible.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Wow, I hadn't heard that plan. That is a fantastic new way to give out allocations!
That's actually how GM has been doing allocations for almost everything except Corvettes for a long time. Why they're only moving Corvettes to that system now I have no idea.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Till today August 17, 2021, I have not heard from my dealer, MacMulkin, about anything, nothing about customizing or order status or a time frame for anything, like when to customize, when my order may go through, or any expected information that a Corvette customer is dying to hear.
When I emailed them just a couple of days ago the email I received from them said that I would hear from them when the time comes.
So I don't want to push it and piss them off. I don't want to get on their bad side.
Hope to hear something soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone here know how long will it take for a new Corvette to be build these days once Chevrolet accepts the new order allocation?
Thanks a lot for helping.
I've ordered three Corvette since 2014 and there's no way to tell pray you didn't ask for an option that gets a constraint because that will sideline it for who-knows-how-long

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've ordered three Corvette since 2014 and there's no way to tell pray you didn't ask for an option that gets a constraint because that will sideline it for who-knows-how-long
As of today, 8/19/21, I have not even customized my new 2022 C8 order, MacMulkin has not contacted me yet to let me know when to customize, so I am on hold and being patient to hear from MacMulkin.
I will not customize my new C8 to death as I know what I want and can afford. So the chances for hard to get options will not come into play to delay my new built.
What I know for sure now is that I want a 2LT in the new Hypersonic Gray color with the GT2 seats in the 2-tone Adrenaline Red and Black colors.
I used the new Corvette Visualizer below to customize the colors:
My new 2022 C8 LT2 will like like these pictures below:
Does anyone know what options may delay production?
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
As of today, 8/19/21, I have not even customized my new 2022 C8 order, MacMulkin has not contacted me yet to let me know when to customize, so I am on hold and being patient to hear from MacMulkin.
I will not customize my new C8 to death as I know what I want and can afford. So the chances for hard to get options will not come into play to delay my new built.
What I know for sure now is that I want a 2LT in the new Hypersonic Gray color with the GT2 seats in the 2-tone Adrenaline Red and Black colors.
My new 2022 C8 LT2 will like like these pictures below:
Does anyone know what options may delay production?
Thank you.
Just hang in there you will get your car by 75%

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's Dream Cruise Week here in SE Michigan. I was at a private Corvette Owners event on Wednesday. Spoke with 5-6 C8 owners, most waited a year to get theirs.
There still is a chip shortage, but GM is sending the chips they do get to both Truck and Corvette production.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts