Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on some options for a 2015 Stingray Convertible with the 3LT, Z51 performance package that I am getting ready to order. I would appreciate any feed back. With the Z51 package, is the Magnetic Ride Control option worth while? From what I have read on the forum, most people think the splash guards are a good option and don't deter from the looks of the car? Is the factory clear protective film worth the cost? I am planning on Museum delivery and will have a 3,000 mile drive home and don't want to have the paint chipped up by the time I get home, so I probably don't have a choice. I am considering the carbon fiber ground effects package, carbon flash hood stinger stripe and carbon flash badge package on a Velocity Yellow body. Any comments? Looking forward to hearing back from fellow corvette enthusiasts. This new Stingray will be replacing my current 1986 convertible which just got us to the caravan to Bowling Green and back in great shape, but going through the assembly plant put the fire in me to get a new, more technologically advanced corvette.

·
18,670 Posts
Welcome Roger to StingRay Forums! Live real close to you, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Subject of whether the Z-51 package is worthwhile has been debated endlessly, as has whether if one gets it, does one need MSRC. The correct answer is dependent in what type of driving one does. If one is addicted to "carving curvy country corners" on roads with a fair amount of irregularities, and/or track use, I say yes, but for the 99% percent of Corvette drivers who primarily use their cars as daily drivers, weekend outings and some long trip, have good to better pavement, it is not needed. Desirable when one hits concrete interstates with about every 200' a perpendicular tar strip, YES!

As our Northwest roads are far from good, if you can afford it, get it, but let us put this in the perspective that a no-option StingRay can go 1.0G anyway.

Here is my favorite video regarding MSRC or not, and this was made in 2005 in regard to the C5's first generation MSRC, not the C7's vastly improved third generation MSRC.

And this one regarding the second gen MSRC:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome Roger!

I am definitely not an expert, new to both the forum and Stingray ownership, but I highly recommend the splash guards! I do not think they detract from the appearance at all and they are well worth it.
The carbon flash badges look great. Personally I am a big fan of the Velocity Yellow with the carbon flash accents, that and the Torch Red were the three colors I agonized over for many, many months before deciding on the AW. Best wishes for total success on your future purchase and journey!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great videos John. All this time I figured if GM is putting the MSRC in the Z51 and Z06 packages, it must be allot better, but I hadn't gotten around to researching what or how it actually worked. So, these video's helped me understand the concept much better. I'm kinda curious though, it appears pretty sophisticated and high tech, which equates to $$$ in my curious mind. For those of us who are planning on quite possibly keeping our cars for lets say, foreverrrrr, I'm wondering what the life expectancy is on the magnetic shocks and how much more expensive it would be to replace them if need be?

·
18,670 Posts
There were cost and too-frequent replacement issues early on, but the early replacement issue has improved dramatically as refinements have been made to the shocks. Too early to tell on the generation three C7 MSRC shocks, but have confidence that the premature replacement issue has been resolved. At the same time, as the shocks literally have two electric coils inside every one, wiring protruding from their side to their power source, if there ever are replacement issues, we will definitely be paying more, and definitely not be buying them from Shucks, O'Reilly's, etc.

However, not concerned based on last few years' "much lower problem rate" compared to the earlier MSRC shocks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also have a VY and the carbon stinger stripe looks hot. Just waiting for the CF stinger to arrive and I sure it will add. I did the Z51 option (2LT) with MSRC even though I don't need all that I ordered and a base would have been more than enough as these cars are stupid fast either way.

That being said in the end you have to order what YOU want. When it comes to options what makes sense to one person is different to another. Me personally I liked having the extras "just because" and if this is the last new Vette I buy I wanted it to be special to me, what I wanted to make it mine. You don't always need what you want.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I suspect very few order the z51 without the mag shocks. Splash guards highly recommended. The factory protective film, I have read no feedback from anyone who has gotten it. It started out at 0% constraint. Many taking Museum delivery get Xpel Ultimate applied at a detailer in Nashville before driving home. The consensus on this forum is that Xpel Ultimate, is, the Ultimate film to get. Carbon flash badges on Velocity Yellow would be awesome. I never considered getting the ground effects because the last thing I need on my gravel road is to reduce ground clearance even further.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Is the factory clear protective film worth the cost? I am planning on Museum delivery and will have a 3,000 mile drive home and don't want to have the paint chipped up by the time I get home, so I probably don't have a choice.
Roger, a great option to protect your car on the way home from Museum Delivery. TracWrap is thicker than XPel Ultimate, made by the same company. You can apply it yourself, and designed to be later removable.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...tracwrap-temporary-paint-protection-film.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is not a z51 but the ride is so smooth do to the suspension and wheel tire combo . I drove both the z51 is a lot stiffer . What ever you buy you'll love it !! Awesome cars !!!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I am trying to decide on some options for a 2015 Stingray Convertible with the 3LT, Z51 performance package that I am getting ready to order. I would appreciate any feed back. With the Z51 package, is the Magnetic Ride Control option worth while? From what I have read on the forum, most people think the splash guards are a good option and don't deter from the looks of the car? Is the factory clear protective film worth the cost? I am planning on Museum delivery and will have a 3,000 mile drive home and don't want to have the paint chipped up by the time I get home, so I probably don't have a choice. I am considering the carbon fiber ground effects package, carbon flash hood stinger stripe and carbon flash badge package on a Velocity Yellow body. Any comments? Looking forward to hearing back from fellow corvette enthusiasts. This new Stingray will be replacing my current 1986 convertible which just got us to the caravan to Bowling Green and back in great shape, but going through the assembly plant put the fire in me to get a new, more technologically advanced corvette.
Roger, welcome aboard, order the Z06 and get everything you've ever dreamed of all in one package. Good luck on your choices.

SF
Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts