Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Corvette Racing Yellow 2LT A8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So I'm excited to move up & into the Corvette community! With the crazy weird world of car prices we live in now... I sold my 392 Challenger for almost what I bought it for new more than 3 years ago.........and I took the plunge! I purchased a new to me 2017 Corvette. It has about 10k miles on it. The only thing I have done so far is the Mobil 1 AT flush and a fresh oil change... I've heard not such great things about the GM A8 Transmission... so figured that would be good to do :)

My car is a 2LT Stingray - with certain options I was looking for. (like larger Z51 wheel/tire combo, magnetic ride & the adustable performance exhaust). I don't track my cars...so I didn't really think the extra cost full Z51 was for me...although the Z51 does have alot of nice extras with the brake and trans coolers. I was also looking somewhat at the Grand Sport as it has some very nice exterior additions that I liked. But again, didn't really feel it was worth it for me, for the extra jump in price and how I actually enjoy and drive mine.

So far I have only put a couple hundred miles on it. Waiting for our weather to turn amazing. Looking forward to car shows and car cruises this year! I have enjoyed looking thru the forums this past month, but figured it was time to introduce myself. This will be a great place to learn and meet other Corvette enthusiasts.

From Michigan,
YellowBunny!

Attached is a couple pictures of the car... and I added one with me.
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

Clothing Tire Wheel Car Smile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I would add, my car came with a yellow (car matching) targa top. I discovered GM stopped making the transparent glass top roofs for our C7s. 😰 I actually did a nationwide dealer locate on the part number and found zero. Not quite sure how that is even possible? Isn't there GM supplier rules that parts have to be available for 7 or 10 or 15 years or something? Well, I found one at a local premium parts place (similar to a junkyard, but without the actual yard full of junk). The only problem is it had some packing style tape on it - and when removed - it's almost etched the glass or lexan. So that kind of bugs me. I may look into seeing if someone can refinish these GM tops...I don't think lexan can really be sanded or corrected to remove the etching from what my internet research found?? Or maybe I can find a Corvette parts warehouse that just happens to have some left in stock that I can get one from.

I had the car ceramic coated as well and I had a 7-year ceramic applied. We will see how that holds up. It's pretty much a garaged vehicle, so I'm hoping that 7 years is accurate.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your C7. As to the transparent top, they seem to be available (aftermarket as well as OEM) on and off from time to time. You might want to check with our forum vendor Suburban Chevrolet / Trunk Monkey Parts and see what they say. Do a Google search every once in a while to see if they have become available. You also might want to try our 'Want to Buy' Want to Buy (WTB) with a possible trade option of your body colored top.

In the interim, enjoy driving it (with or without your top panel on).

Reactions: YellowBunny

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,801 Posts
Hello @YellowBunny and welcome to the Stingray Forum. I’m in SE Michigan and the weathers starting to turn the corner for you to enjoy your new to you beauty.

In case you’re looking for an opportunity to be around other corvettes, my corvette club annual spring cruise is approaching next month. Last year there were about 200 cars that participated and we expect to exceed that this year.

We typically end up at Lingenfelter car collection at the end of the cruise, this year we have partnered with General Motors and the cruise will do a “casual” lap around the General Motors Proven Grounds test track.

If interested, here is some information in case you are looking to be around a lot of corvettes. The intent is not soliciting just sharing information but I will differ to the moderator if this notice is appropriate to post here.

CCCoM Photo Album

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Communication Device Font Gadget Material property Display device

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Car Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Tire

Cloud Automotive parking light Car Sky Land vehicle

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Kyle that sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your C7. As to the transparent top, they seem to be available (aftermarket as well as OEM) on and off from time to time. You might want to check with our forum vendor Suburban Chevrolet / Trunk Monkey Parts and see what they say. Do a Google search every once in a while to see if they have become available. You also might want to try our 'Want to Buy' Want to Buy (WTB) with a possible trade option of your body colored top.

In the interim, enjoy driving it (with or without your top panel on).
Thank you, I will keep an eye on the Suburban / Trunk Monkey. I did find a place out near Chicago that appears to have a couple options, it looks like they have the GM part in stock or you can send them your glass top and they send you one (I assume like a core exchange) that has been rebuilt or restored (again, I don't really think Lexan can be refinished - so I'm not sure what they are actually doing to them). This option is about $800... which would be perfect. But shipping these tops to Chicago might be a little concerning if I have to pack it up myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello @YellowBunny and welcome to the Stingray Forum. I’m in SE Michigan and the weathers starting to turn the corner for you to enjoy your new to you beauty.

In case you’re looking for an opportunity to be around other corvettes, my corvette club annual spring cruise is approaching next month. Last
Year there were about 200 cars they participated and we expect to exceed this year.

We typically end up at Lingenfelter car collection at the end of the cruise, this year we have partnered with General Motors and the cruise will do a lap around the General Motors Proven Grounds test track.

If interested, here is some information in case you are looking to be around a lot of corvettes. The intent is not soliciting just sharing information but I will differ to the moderator if this notice is appropriate to post here.

CCCoM Photo Album
Definitely interested! Thanks Kyle. The weather gave us a nice tease this weekend!

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
218 Posts
Well hello and welcome from SW FL Gulf Coast. My car is a year round car. If it's not raining, I'm in the Vette. I actually have to remind myself to drive my other one. lol I had mine ceramic coated 2 years ago and glad I did. A few caveats though, the ceramic will not protect you from chips and if you get any bugs or anything on the paint, get it OFF. Do NOT let it sit.

And good luck with the top. The "smoked" panel was standard on the '14 Premier editions but the only time I have it on the car is when it's getting a bath, otherwise it's in the back. Speaking of bathing it, do NOT put it through car washes with the coating!

Once again welcome and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was in the market for a black top to replace my transparent top. After talking to the guy that did my wrap, I've decided to have it wrapped in black and buy an after market interior liner to cut down on the heat feom the sun.

Just an option to cut out the sun.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
218 Posts
CUT OUT the sun?!? LOL We're sunny pretty much year 'round. The only time my top is on is when it gets cold! i.e. Low 70's or lower... BUT, I'm not stuck in traffic jams either so....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hear you. I live in San Diego - tons of sun here. Too many highways to get from point A to point B. Wind noise going 75 drowns out my music and messes up my hair (lol).

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
218 Posts
LOL - Not that bad here.... YET.... and I don't give a gnats patutti about my hair. lol May be a difference with the Premier but I don't really get a lot of wind. (And no, I don't drive around doin' 30.... lol )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts