Stingray Corvette Forum banner

What do think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished fabricating and installing some hood and side cove LEDs on my Stingray. Instead of paying for one of those $300 kits, I just bought a 5-meter strip of red LEDs for $14. I cut the pieces to size, soldered and shrink wrapped the connections, and wired it up to ignition power. It's a fun upgrade and makes it look not like everyone else's.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,162 Posts
If I decided to this, for me personally I wouldn't do my hood vent although it looks nice! I do like the subtleness' of the fender vents and could consider those if I was looking to do something like that especially at that price. Good Job!

·
Registered
92 Posts
These lights are bad ass. When I put leds in my safe ordered from Amazon (my drug of choice), i found out that they we particular to the amount of amps going through them. By dropping the amps down by half .5 amps, they ran significantly cooler.

Question: How did you manage the amperage buy going through the ignition system?

This would look terrific on my black '14 (with red calipers).

Thx - Doug

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Question: How did you manage the amperage buy going through the ignition system?
In general, the LEDs would be in parallel with the ignition system, not in series with it. As such, they share common voltage, not common current. You would control the current through the LEDs by putting a resistor in series with them.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
92 Posts
You made it sound easy enough. Appreciate the reply and the cool idea.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,689 Posts
Unique, definitely an eye catcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts