Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Corvette Z51, LT2 package, manual, convertible, torch red
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions for the experienced owners of this forum please. I am waiting delivery of a 2015 C7 Convertible.

On my test drive, I noticed large side blind spots. For safety, I know it will help to have a better view. May I ask for recommendations please? I have found aftermarket stick on more convex side mirrors to reduce blind spot.

Texas summer heat is intense, may I ask for recommendation on a high quality interior windshield sun block?

I suspect there are other small accessories, but these first two are high priority.

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride. Be sure to do what I call a head check (look over your shoulder) before lane changes and I think you will be okay with the blind spot. That should go un-stated but these days it is a dying practice. I have a convertible and that has served me well so far. I live in south Louisiana and don’t have any kind of window tint or even use a windshield shade when I am out. I do think you have to program, in driver preferences, the car to turn on the AC when you start it using remote start. The only thing about driving this car that I stand by is (and this one will get people going) I don’t use the track mode unless on a track. The nanny controls are so forgiving I like to have them on. When it rains, and you will have a lot of that like I do, I use weather mode.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Lucydad, you'll find a number of threads and posts regarding sunshade, tint, and blindspots through the use of our Search Community function at the top of every page.

Reactions: Lucydad

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
711 Posts
Start with the search function where you will find threads on most topics that have been discussed and products recommended. Here is one link to start and welcome to forum.

I have some questions for the experienced owners of this forum please. I am waiting delivery of a 2015 C7 Convertible.

On my test drive, I noticed large side blind spots. For safety, I know it will help to have a better view. May I ask for recommendations please? I have found aftermarket stick on more convex side mirrors to reduce blind spot.

Texas summer heat is intense, may I ask for recommendation on a high quality interior windshield sun block?

I suspect there are other small accessories, but these first two are high priority.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
711 Posts
I have these Blind Spot mirrors and love the convex mirrors as are allowed in Europe and on the passenger side mirror in the US but I have them on both mirrors!

Pana-View Door Mirror for Corvette C6 & C7
  • High quality glass mirror with embedded silver reflector
  • Reduces side blind spots
  • Custom shape provides wide view
  • Attaches securely using 3MTM VHBTM tape

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have these Blind Spot mirrors and love the convex mirrors as are allowed in Europe and on the passenger side mirror in the US but I have them on both mirrors!

Looks like an excellent solution to me, plus of course head turning. Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
With the way my mirrors are positioned, plus my willingness to move around in the seat while looking out of them, there is no blind spot on my C7.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Adjust your mirrors as described here, and you may find you don't really need anything else. Most people adjust the outside mirrors so they have way more overlap with the inside mirror than there's any need for. I have mine adjusted this way, and don't feel there are any significant blind spots.

Also, our heads swivel for a reason. I never change lanes without turning my head to check, in addition to checking the mirrors.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

I've used Panaview mirrors on motorcycles. They work very well, but there are a couple of things to know. 1. There is definitely a learning curve. You know the text printed on the normal passenger side mirror "Objects may be close than they appear"? That's true of the PanaView mirrors, but the apparent distance varies from inside to outside. Until you've used them a lot, you really NEED to do a head check before changing lanes so you don't get fooled.

2. Your mirror defoggers no longer work. The PanaView mirrors are separated from the stock mirror glass by a substantial air gap, so none of the heat from the defoggers actually reaches the mirror.

Reactions: Lucydad

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Deleted. Posted here by mistake.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
711 Posts
You are so right and when I first installed the Panaview Mirrors it felt weird and I was wondering what have I done but as I began to learn how they work and doing the head checks its like second nature now and I trust them.

I really was nervous while backing out of the garage so not to hit the mirrors and now trust them without thinking as I think your mind or brain adapts and it becomes the new normal that you trust.

I've used Panaview mirrors on motorcycles. They work very well, but there are a couple of things to know. 1. There is definitely a learning curve. You know the text printed on the normal passenger side mirror "Objects may be close than they appear"? That's true of the PanaView mirrors, but the apparent distance varies from inside to outside. Until you've used them a lot, you really NEED to do a head check before changing lanes so you don't get fooled.

2. Your mirror defoggers no longer work. The PanaView mirrors are separated from the stock mirror glass by a substantial air gap, so none of the heat from the defoggers actually reaches the mirror.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When I bought my 2017 (new), I asked the dealer where they took their cars for window tinting. At that shop, I chose, after some discussion, LLumar AIR80 tint for the windshield. You would not know that it is a tinted windshield, but the heat rejection is great; always a consideration in Texas. I drove the car to Nevada (Ron Fellows School) and forgot to install my windshield screens one day, and that afternoon, the interior was pretty warm, but well within the capacity of the A/C to cool down quickly. (I got LLumar CTX on the side and rear windows while I was at it).

Reactions: mjdart and Lucydad

·
Registered
410 Posts
Blind spots are a natural result of the body lines of the C7, but adjusting the mirrors out minimizes that. I have never had a problem with blind spots, I think mainly due to the habit I have developed of scanning all the traffic around me constantly. Meanwhile, my wife's SUV has automatic blind spot detection. I have gotten so many false positives from guardrails et cetera, that I have cut people off when changing lanes, because my brain tuned out the alert, and I had become less vigilant about looking around. Not all technology is worth it.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
When I bought my 2017 (new), I asked the dealer where they took their cars for window tinting. At that shop, I chose, after some discussion, LLumar AIR80 tint for the windshield. You would not know that it is a tinted windshield, but the heat rejection is great; always a consideration in Texas. I drove the car to Nevada (Ron Fellows School) and forgot to install my windshield screens one day, and that afternoon, the interior was pretty warm, but well within the capacity of the A/C to cool down quickly. (I got LLumar CTX on the side and rear windows while I was at it).
Another excellent film to consider is the 3M Crystalline which incorporates heat rejection in its film along with a lifetime warranty. I had the clear Crystalline 90 put on the windshield and 40 on the sides and rear. This does an excellent job here in the desert.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still waiting delivery of my C7, meanwhile I drove my Miata to meet a good friend for lunch. I adjusted the Miata mirrors outboard as shown by video: yes it definitely makes a difference. My buddy, who happens to be a car and motorcycle nut (like me) said: hell, drive that red Corvette up, and we will drive some twisty roads north of Houston...spend a couple nights. So yeah, road trip coming soon, at least across Houston area to some more interesting roads...we ride motorcycles on same roads. Thanks for kind advice!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thanks!
I noticed the large blind spot in my vert when I bought it 5 years ago. A small convex mirror in the lower outer corner of my drivers side mirror has saved me a few times. I just don’t feel like going faster than everyone else all the time!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Adjust your mirrors as described here, and you may find you don't really need anything else. Most people adjust the outside mirrors so they have way more overlap with the inside mirror than there's any need for. I have mine adjusted this way, and don't feel there are any significant blind spots.

Also, our heads swivel for a reason. I never change lanes without turning my head to check, in addition to checking the mirrors.

Most people adjust their side mirrors so they can see the sides of their car, which creates blind spots in their right and left quarters.

This graphic is an EXCELLENT example of the proper way to adjust your mirrors in any vehicle. I have used this method for years and never get surprised by cars that I didn’t see. Nonetheless, it’s still a good idea to give a quick look over your right shoulder before changing lanes to your right and the same with left lane changes, just to be extra cautious. And slow lane changes give others a chance to react in case you’ve missed something.

Good advice, Meyerweb!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, our heads swivel for a reason.
When my head no longer swivels, do you think it might be covered under extended warranty or manufacturer's recall?

Don't assume that old guys in Corvettes or Buicks can see you in their blind spots... I always assume the car ahead and left of me will want that exit we are passing...

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks!

Thanks!
Yes the blind spots r pretty scary at times and I’m accustomed to being very cautious when driving. AZ sun is probably worse than TX and on all my vehicles I have a 4” wvinshield strip of very dark 3M tint.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
In addition to setting my mirrors as in the diagram, one of the things I do is try and make a game at remembering the color, type (car, truck, semi etc.) and make of the vehicle(s) as I see them in the rearview mirror until they clear/pass me on the right or left. It really helps enhance my vigilance and stay focused. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts