Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car a few weeks. What I notice is when the car is cold and I put it into reverse to back up, although it seem to go into gear, the car does not move on it's own with the brake released. Just sits there until I give it gas and then it seems to catch and go. It does not do this when it's warm. Thoughts?

I am a Chevy guy who has had multiple older style Corvettes and 2nd, 5th gen Camaros, I did spend the last 3 years with a Challenger. The Challenger automatic trans was tight, like it had a shift kit in it. Hardly needed to use the brakes going downhill. This Corvette's trans is nowhere like that and I also wonder if it is normal or part of the problem that may be affecting my cold reverse.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had searched around and saw that bulletin but I do not seem to have the shudder and wanted to see if anyone else had my reverse problem and what resolved it, be it fluid, torque converter or other.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well I just discovered this posting and went back to read the service bulletin. Unfortunately i have had this issue for some time. Honestly i wrote it off to letting the car sit to long and once it got to operating temps it was fine so i never paid attention to it. Wondering now if i should take it in and have it looked at? Scared I could end up with more issues after the fix as it seems pretty labor intensive . Hopefully it is covered on the GM extended warranty as i am out of original warranty now although just turning 13k miles.
Wondering if anyone else has not fixed this issue and what the outcome was or could be?
Thanks for any info others may have had.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks. I had searched around and saw that bulletin but I do not seem to have the shudder and wanted to see if anyone else had my reverse problem and what resolved it, be it fluid, torque converter or other.
You may want to check if it is both in reverse and drive. For me it occurs not based on what gear i select but the first shift after sitting over night or longer. I also have not noticed a shudder at speed but certainly the delayed engagement on the first shift out of PARK after sitting for a day or more.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The A8 (in sport or track mode) should be solid if it's working properly (as you described like with the Challenger). It sounds like you might have other issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 c7 A8..GET THE TSB 28 SERVICE BULLETIN DONE!!!!! IT IS AN OIL CHANGE OF 8 QTS (SAME GMBOTTLE WITH A NEWER PART NUMBER ENDING IN.....77, AND A NEW BIG SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD.

IT shifts very smooth , no more + or - 50 RPM drift in any mode, cruise steady state. Up or down shifts are smoother and faster. Software learning takes 100-200 miles to learn new. software. Dealer newnothing of TSB. Had it done in May, parts dept discovered 40 qts of NEW ATF had been delivered 3 days prior to my appointment. Takes 2-4 hours depending on interruptions. ATF HAS NEW ADDITIVES AND NEW VISCOSITY.

Fast Eddy, BS MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, MILITARY AND COMMERCIAL PILOT, INSTRUCTOR FLT EXAMINER, TEST PILOT, 30,000+ HOURS.

GET THE TSB DONE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I've now discovered it also does it if I put it in drive after it has sat a while. Only my third week with the car. I was going to wait until late Oct when I put my truck on the road for winter in case they kept the car but my disappointment with this transmission grows each day and I am going to call tomorrow and set up an appointment. Hopefully I can get them to tackle the original problem as well as a flush and a small miracle happens with new fluid. Changing modes hardly makes any difference to the transmission. I run in sport as it's the highest selection that doesn't revert back down when you shut the car off and it's a free wheeling piece of crap.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I've now discovered it also does it if I put it in drive after it has sat a while. Only my third week with the car. I was going to wait until late Oct when I put my truck on the road for winter in case they kept the car but my disappointment with this transmission grows each day and I am going to call tomorrow and set up an appointment. Hopefully I can get them to tackle the original problem as well as a flush and a small miracle happens with new fluid. Changing modes hardly makes any difference to the transmission. I run in sport as it's the highest selection that doesn't revert back down when you shut the car off and it's a free wheeling piece of crap.
Mine goes in next week as well. They expect to have it at least a week as they need to replicate it so that takes a day or 2 of sitting. Also 9 transmission repairs in line ahead of me. Now I have to worry about what will change after they take apart the entire rear end of the car to handle the fix. My experience they are never as good as the first time they go together. Always seem to end up with fit and finish issues after they take them apart.
No choice and hoping for the best.
By the way in spite of this issue I still love the car. After the first shift is behind me the car drives great with no issue that i am noticing. I am expecting it to be that much better when i get it back. Also glad it is covered on the drive train warranty which i have another year or so of. I have no doubts this would be a couple of thousand dollar repair out of warranty.

So just to update it's been in the dealer service for one week for the TSB and they haven't even touched it... Told at least another week before i could possibly see it back...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn. I was literally sitting here with the phone ready to make an appointment but I'm not going a week without a car. I'll hold off until next month. Maybe put my truck on the road a bit early

·
Registered
877 Posts
Damn. I was literally sitting here with the phone ready to make an appointment but I'm not going a week without a car. I'll hold off until next month. Maybe put my truck on the road a bit early
It's a big job. They have to take the rear of the car body off to drop trans etc..
I'm led to believe once they start it it's 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Yes, that is the one you need to have done for the symptoms you described. It is a big job.

By the way, this was a mid-year 2016 fix. Not all 2016 VINs are affected. There was a follow-up notification of the exact VINs in 2016 affected. I checked that VIN list years ago, and my 2016 was late enough in the year that it was made from the factory with the fix already in place. So, I have never experienced that problem.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Finally started my delayed engagement repairs after almost 10 days sitting at the dealership. Told it will be at least a week before it is finished..

And now I wait to see if I need a new transmission and how the potential strike will impact that...gotta wonder what I did to piss off the car gods?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
So guess I need to vent a bit. And perhaps to be talked down from the ledge , so to speak.
Dropped my C7 off on Sept 2 for the delayed Engagement TSB . Was told they were busy and perhaps would not get to the car before the end of the week and I was okay with that as I was going out of town. On Sept 12 the service writer tells me they have confirmed the delayed engagement and they will have to drop the transmission and all that entails ( New TSB 16-na-364) and he expected my car to be done by 9-18 or 19. On Monday 9-16 I contacted him for a update on what the tech got from his tests on the transmission. I was told they haven't even looked at it yet... I was a bit put off and now insisted on a loaner car as they were going on 3 weeks with my car and nothing had been done.Leaving my car sitting in the service area lot jammed between cars with barely enough room to open a door. He was apologetic and arranged for me to pick up a loaner. On Monday PM i went to pick up the loaner and discovered they had been tearing up the asphalt parking lot adjacent to the service area for the last several days. My car was covered with dirt and what ever other crap they were spraying as they began to lay new asphalt. I walked my service writer to my car and asked him why my spotless, highly maintained automobile was allowed to get to this point after sitting for 16 days. His response was okay we will wash it when it's done.
I'm honestly dumbfounded . Just don't know where or who to go to from here. Now we are dealing with the strike. Good chance if they ever get around to doing the work they will end up needing a transmission from Chevrolet. This has the potential to a several weeks or months before I get my vehicle back. And of course did I mention being parked 20 yards from a major construction project .
Frankly I'm hesitant to let them wash it when it is completed it is so covered with construction debris. Am I crazy or is it reasonable to expect better from a large Corvette dealership?
Part of me is holding back because I don't want them pissed off with me while my car is sitting there. The angry guy wants to chew out anyone and everyone knowing they really could care less about my clean car etc..

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
15snow-ray that is very disappointing to read and no doubt very, very frustrating to be going through. I agree that it is a fine line between pissing them off and yet making sure they understand how you feel. Perhaps you should ask to sit down with the Service Manager and the Dealership owner (especially if you bought it from them) and share your concerns and frustration in a calm way, seeking their advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
15 snow, what I am finding is each dealer is defined by who runs them. I have never had a problem with my local dealer through all my cars and trucks (and hopefully no problem when I bring the Vette in). But, I bought my Corvette from a Chevy dealer 3 hours away from me. I was so irked, I signed up and wrote a review on them (below, first review by drex). Not all dealerships are equal.

https://www.dealerrater.ca/dealer/Murray-GM-Abbotsford-review-33692/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts