Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hummmmm,

I would find out who the owner is and/or family member of owner who works there in some type of leadership position. I would write an email to the GM Chevy customer complaint area and found out who the district chevy manager is and reach out to them as well.

Additionally, I would forewarn them that I will contact the local news media who are always looking for consumer-centric problem solving stories. I would include in any communications a picture of my pristine car from one of the many pictures i'm sure that you have and picture of the car now covered in dirt and grim. I also would consider having my car towed to another dealership just out of spite from the disrespect and poor customer service and write a public review.

I would even make a sign and put it on a stick that says don't bring your car to here for service and I am sure the news media will get wind of this story and the employees will want to get you away from public shaming them. Of course, I would go through professional diplomacy and escalate each next action based on how far I am getting to get problem resolved.

Lastly, I have a friend/family attorneys and in some situations I ask them to write a letter and send to business threatening legal action. This tends to get their attention fast and off their butts. Sometimes extreme situations require extreme measures but I have no patience for poor service and let it be know in a professional and courteous way.

So sorry to hear this and hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just an update . I spoke with the Service manager . Seemed to understand my concerns but only related really about how good his techs were and how busy they are. Both items i was aware of. Assured me my car will be looked after. On Friday i was told no issues with transmission but vehicle did have the old stater which allowed fluid leak back when it sits . Now waiting for Chevrolet tech to direct them to the fix. Have to hope that will come next week, early? Still believe that this is a well known issue and not sure why they don't just fix it instead of all the back and forth. From my position the "company " is spending thousands of dollars and encouraging unhappy owners by dragging their feet on this. I guess that is why I don't run GM and they do.
Of course we are assuming their will be a Chevrolet Service Tech to answer their call on Monday.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just an update.. so my car sits now going into day 24 . They have told me that they are requesting a new transmission and associated parts as they aware unable to determine what was causing the delayed engagement . Per the TSB that is the GM action recommended. Of course now that is now complicated by the job action at GM and no telling when that will be resolved.
I am glad it is at least being resolved in it's entirety as for a while I was concerned they would be throwing parts at the trans and i would be leaving my car there time and time again with the car being taken apart each time . Not happy i will be without my car for such an extended time but they have provided a loaner to me so i have transportation. While not my C7 it's appreciated and I honestly can say I am not surprised by this. From the very beginning I was fearful this might happen. Hopefully it will be resolved soon and I can get her home under my care soon....
I have found being familiar with the TSB has been helpful to me as I have found myself reminding the service writer regarding the GM recommendations a couple of times. Can't really expect them to be familiar with every TSB on every car from every year so i am grateful to this source for this knowledge.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd wait for the strike to be over if it was me...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
880 Posts
My car has been sitting there for 28 days. Until the work action is over there are no parts going out. Dealers are being forced to scrounge parts from other dealers. When they will part with them. As of yesterday I was told they may have a trans coming in from another dealer and they would let me know. First one they received from Texas was broken so they wouldn't use it. Also being told that any replacement transmission will be a Re manufactured unit and GM "never" replaces with brand new trans/torque converters etc. According to my service rep and warranty replacement part is a re-manufactured part for these cars.
I have opened a case with GM customer care and it is being handled here in Ca. I have asked for a new replacement unit. They will be working with my dealer. Not sure what that means but my C7 is sitting on a rack in pieces in LA and has been for several weeks. I suspect in a few more weeks they will be able to drop the top and use it as a planter to grow shade trees.
Frustrating as hell. On a bright note I have a new Blazer as a loaner so at least I have transportation of sort. Not exactly a Corvette but certainly could be worse.

Not likely they will just order you a replacement trans as there are several steps they must follow. Recommend you familiarize yourself with the TSB so you know what they are supposed to be doing etc.
Again once they take it apart if there is not a trans available they aren't going to put it back together and return it so may make sense to just wait for the job action to end so parts flow out of what ever warehouse has it. Guessing you will be much happier with your car sitting in your garage then there service lot or service bay.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm still bringing it in tomorrow night. It will give me peace of mind to hear them say, yes, we see the problem. Have copied the service bulletin and bringing it along. My last two cars were new but this one is used. It is a different feeling. This is only part of my journey. Fix the transmission. Then need to get a slightly scratched door and quarter painted this winter. Tire tread is good but passenger side tires have small chunks taken out of the edges so need those. I got it at a bargin price for those reasons but they all need dealt with to bring it back to new. Has less than 12,000 miles on it otherwise

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good luck. Yep I get it about them acknowledging the issue but that feeling goes away pretty fast after you realize you aren't getting your car back any time soon. Read GM is loosing billion on this strike so I can't imagine they will let it go on much longer.
I heard last night my car should be done tomorrow and back to me after 32 days ( not that I am counting).. New "re-manufactured" trans , torque converter etc. Decided my priority was getting my car back and not fighting semantics with these guys about re-manufactured and what that entails. Did find out the "new" trans has a mfg date of October 2018 so I'm trying to figure out if that means it sat in a dealers parts department for a year waiting for a new home or what ? Came from another So Cal dealer They kept my car an additional day to see if the delayed engagement is gone and it is . I am told now I have to re- train my transmission to my driving style. Not sure what that entails my "style " is driving the car with a big smile on my face. and enjoying every minute of it.
It's warrantied from one end to the other and if it starts to give me problems then I'll sell it and hope I can find another C7 vert with low miles that's well maintained. Maybe a Grand Sport this time ( don't tell my wife). Just not sure about the C8 yet. Have to give it some time to work out the bugs. And I am pretty happy with the C7 and the soft convertible top which is now gone from the C8 as both the coupe and the vert have removable hard tops.
Supposedly they detailed my car and I am having them change the oil etc so that i don't have to bring it back in a few months when it hits a year since last oil service. Only put about 1200 miles on it on this oil change but it's at about 50% service life. Bottom line I want my Corvette back!

Again good luck drex1999 getting your car squared away.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So my C7 is in my hands again after a very long 32 days. No more delayed engagement and a much different feel in shifting. Seems much more crisp especially going from first to second. if that makes sense.
Anyone know what they mean by the transmission learning my style of driving? Should I drive a specific way if i want the transmission to perform better ? I am assuming the crisp shifting is not an issue but more aligned what one should expect from a Z51 Corvette. Hard to know what is normal vs a problem. I had been noticing the delayed engagement for months and didn't connect the dots about the issue until i stumbled on the TSB on a blog entry on this site. I just assumed it was normal as the car had been sitting for days or even weeks between drives.
Overall very happy to have her home. Gave her a bubble bath as soon as we got home and a once over for the wheels and she is at rest in her spot.
Yes i may have a serious problem with car envy but i figure it could be worse....

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
So my C7 is in my hands again after a very long 32 days. No more delayed engagement and a much different feel in shifting. Seems much more crisp especially going from first to second. if that makes sense.
Anyone know what they mean by the transmission learning my style of driving? Should I drive a specific way if i want the transmission to perform better ? I am assuming the crisp shifting is not an issue but more aligned what one should expect from a Z51 Corvette. Hard to know what is normal vs a problem. I had been noticing the delayed engagement for months and didn't connect the dots about the issue until i stumbled on the TSB on a blog entry on this site. I just assumed it was normal as the car had been sitting for days or even weeks between drives.
Overall very happy to have her home. Gave her a bubble bath as soon as we got home and a once over for the wheels and she is at rest in her spot.
Yes i may have a serious problem with car envy but i figure it could be worse....
Yeah, for each of the shifts from one gear to another, the transmission learns what pressures to apply to what clutches.

It is very important for you to drive the car now the way you want to drive it going forward (in other words, now is not the time to let someone else teach the car, if they have a different driving style than you do). The best way to do this is to drive it in M-mode, and show it what you want it to do.

Let me give you an example: https://www.stingrayforums.com/threads/water-methanol-injection-in-supercharged-applications.8384/#post-110760
Ignore everything in that post below the paragraph, "Based on this, I believe what I have read elsewhere about this ECM issue on the Z06" as the remainder of that old post has no bearing for the case you are discussing above (that is, the rest of that old post was dealing with engine break-in procedures, which are not applicable to you).

Also, when my C7 was young, it would "thunk" on a downshift. After a while learning at what speed I normally want it to shift down, that thunk went away.

These transmissions are extremely intelligent. Right now is the very best time for you to teach it what you want it to do, by driving it the way you want it to be driven. The only wrong answer here is to drive it some way which isn't normal for YOU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, they won't even fix mine. About 2 out of 5 times in the morning, it does it badly, almost have to rev the car to get it to catch. 2 out of 5 times, it does it moderately and maybe 1 out of 5 times, it works ok. They kept it over 2 nights and said yes, it did it both mornings and it engaged after about 2 1/2 seconds. I can see that, that is what I just called moderately delayed. They said 2.5 seconds of not engaging is within parameters and not a justifiable repair.

·
Registered
880 Posts
not surprising. I know some folks think it's just a simple process. You drive it in and complain about a problem and they fix it. in my experience it never seems to work that way without a fight. There is a very detailed process the mechanic has to follow and submit to GM to approve a replacement. And even then it is not unusual for the Mfg to suggest short cuts. For instance if you followed along with my drama at one point my dealer received a replacement trans from a dealer in Texas. This trans arrived with bent mounting brackets for the torque converter. When the dealer went back to GM to say they needed another trans due to this one being broken the mfg wanted them to just replace the bracket for the torque converter and use the damaged trans. My dealer pushed back explaining that there may well be hidden issues due to the force and damage to the torque converter. GM eventually approved them hunting down another complete trans and t/c . Can't tell you how many times I have been told"unable to replicate" by service writers after dropping a vehicle off for a problem I clearly experienced.
I had a motorcycle service manager who agreed with me that the engine on my very new expensive motorcycle sounds bad but the mfg "doesn't repair motors that are going to break , only ones that are broken." " go drive it and when ti breaks bring down bring it in and we will fix it". I traded that bike in a couple of months later needless to say..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The first day after I got it back, I counted slowly after I put it in gear. 1, 2, 3 just as 4 was coming, it caught. I have a little over a month left in my season so I'll put the issue to rest for now. Next summer, if the problem even gets the slightest bit worse, I will time each day and submit the daily log when I bring it back in and put up more of a fight, take it to a higher level if I have to. I still have 1 1/2 years of warranty. I'll turn my focus to other things on my list for now

·
Registered
880 Posts
Update to my resolution of delayed engagement etc. So I have put less than 100 miles since getting it back but I have to admit it feels like a different car. i had just got so accustomed to the transmission issues I honestly thought that was the normal for that car. Replacing the transmission and the torque converter with the new stater and the complete flush of the tq as per the TSB's made a dramatic difference. Car drops into gear immediately with no fuss or lurching. Shifts are firm and crisp. Car just seems to drive smoother with none of the issues that I had falsely assumed were the norm.
I'm knocking on my desk right now and hope I am not jinxing myself in some way but so far it's been a successful resolution .
My car cleaned up very well considering it sat on the service lot for several weeks while they tore up the asphalt and re did the parking lot 20 yards from my car. Thanks to clear wrap and many layers of ceramic coat and sealer I had applied before it went in for service.
Once again I am reminded what a wonderful automobile the C7 is and how much fun it is just to get behind the wheel.

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Really glad to read your (current) post repair comments 15snow-ray! These are great and fun driver sports cars. May yours continue that way (y)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts