Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided on a plan B, for those days when my built in Infotainment Navigation system just doesn't want to work right. (most days, most places)

garmin2.jpg

Ok, so maybe it isn't what you were expecting, but you've got to admit, it makes sense! After over 2 months of speaking to Chevy phone customer service and forum customer service, and following their advice precisely (went to my local service manager, with a 2 page document that outlines the problems) - and no response! It seems like the most reliable way to be sure to get where I want to go is to provide an alternate solution. Under $100, works every time, AND loads POIS the way most GPS units do.

Out of frustration, I built a wooden base (visible at the bottom of the unit) that fits the floor of the secret compartment and holds the Garmin in a good spot. The dash provides some shielding from satellite signals but the Garmin works well enough to be more practical than the $795 "newly improved" GM Nav unit.

Truly disappointed in GM on 2 counts:

1) poorly designed user interface, not just eh Nav, but the whole Infotainment System
2) no response to documented issues from anyone associated with Chevrolet, after i was assured by our forum customer service people that they would make sure the problems were brought to the right people's attention and would get a response.

Love the car, but the people that support it need to step up to the plate, especially on some items that a simple software edit could resolve.

IMHO,
Ed

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have one of these in my garage collecting dust, I may copy your idea, thanks, no expense on my behalf ;) it has lifetime maps update

Reactions: 53Vette

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael,

Just to be clear, these are not issues with MY nav unit, it works the same way as everyone else's. I came from a 2011 Dodge Charger (and a 2009 Vette with no Nav) and maybe I'm spoiled, but the guys at GM could learn a lot from the Mopar software people. The Charger (and my 2013 Dodge Journey, had a similar sized screen), but it was set up so that it was easy to:

1) set up a waypoint for home, and set the nav to go there in two screen presses
2) import personal POIs from a USB stick. On that car, I did it the day I brought the car home without even opening the manual. On the C7, the pages were missing from the manual!
3) enter destinations easily, no matter if they were across the street or across the country

You know, the things that nav units are supposed to do! Thanks for your comment

Grumble, grumble,

Ed

Steve, mine was sitting in the garage too. I'm making up a USB cable to supply the power to the Garmin. The one that comes with it wants to put the unit in "computer mode" so I need to clip a few data wires in the USB cable. Should be easy. I did learn the the screen goes up a lot, like when you select a gear (A6), when you start the car, etc. But once you're driving you can use the Garmin and the screen stays down if you want it that way.

ps. the base plate is about 6.25" wide (tapering a bit toward the back), and about 4.5" deep

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I decided on a plan B, for those days when my built in Infotainment Navigation system just doesn't want to work right. (most days, most places)

View attachment 8992
It's a great idea, and I thought about doing the same thing to add Nav using my Nexus 5 (using a removable foam insert with a recess for the phone) - it should work as long as you leave the display down. Close the display, and the storage area can get hot enough for electronic devices to shut down, as reported by several forum members.

I put my Nexus in the center console for a top-down drive, about an hour in duration. When I parked and retrieved the phone it was very hot, and had also shut down. After 15 minutes is the AC'd house, it booted back up.

So, both storage areas need to be used with caution.

Corvette engines have always been able to keep the cockpit plenty warm.:eek:

Part of the reason I didn't order the NAV is that I would use it infrequently, and the free Google NAV App works great, with satellite images and traffic info. I can also simultaneously have the Nexus 5 linked to the car for both phone and Pandora, as well as using the phone as an MP3 player.

And then there are all the native Apps that the phone has, which you have convenient access to when it is mounted in this position.

I may cut the foam block to fit this weekend.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tried to use mine with voice recognition it couldn't get anything right to program a destination so went to phone app on star remote link searched the destination by name or address and had it send it to navigation on the dash unit worked great and takes a lot
less time than trying to program by voice or punching into screen.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I hate the infotainment system in the car.... It's the one thing I absolutely hate and would rather have the C6 radio so I could swap the thing out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've found the system to be a quantum leap ahead of my 2007 C6. The OnStar app is really easy for me to program destinations.
I just haven't had a negative experience with this system. Then again, I had time to learn all the nuances when driving home from the NCM.

Michael

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've found the system to be a quantum leap ahead of my 2007 C6. The OnStar app is really easy for me to program destinations.
I just haven't had a negative experience with this system. Then again, I had time to learn all the nuances when driving home from the NCM.

Michael
I have to agree Michael, I used mine all the way from NCM to California and we never had an issue. It is much better than my 2007 Silverado and 2012 Infinity Navigation units, maybe we were just lucky with our destinations and it found all of them. One time in Memphis it re routed us due to heavy traffic and saved us considerable time.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have to agree i have not had any issues mine works great, but im the kind of guy that sits in the garage and figures out how everything on my vehicles work. Hope you guys get your issues worked out. God bless and goodnight

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I used mine last week over a thousand miles and it worked quite well. There were two instances where it told me to turn right or left when I really needed to go the opposite direction, but that has happened with my Garmin before as well, so it was not really a huge deal. Overall I like it.I like the bigger screen it provides.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Once you have it programmed it works good getting there is the issue I have for trucks at least the voice commands understands what your asking it as You are growing down the road driving without stopping and plugging it in and while you are doing that ford douse a better job at selective typing once you are getting close to a destination name and gives you option quicker to select a destination. It was easier to have my passenger take my phone and search destination on on star remote app and send it to car as we were going from place to place. Once programmed worked well with preparing you to get ready to turn and getting you there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts