Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But you might think you have a "broken" car. A few things on the car are normal but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

1.Tires/front end chatter/clunk on full lock slow turns
2.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
3. Oil may read different levels on non z51 -either side of dipstick due to angle.. Take the average of both sides.
4. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not. 16’s do not have this problem.
5. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
6. A minor amt of vibration felt thru the stick shifter is normal.
7. The indentation in the styrofoam batt cover is for a euro tow eye, nothing in this slot for US cars.
8. The first 20%-30% of the throttle response is very damped (numb), especially in Wet, Eco and Tour modes compared to older Vettes and other brands.
9. Upon full acceleration of a automatic, when shifting, it will backfire "bark", due to computer settings/ unburned fuel.
10. The direct injection makes the engine "tick" ...normal

Please feel free to add others to this thread, I will keep the list up to date...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Can this be a sticky and then referenced by a mod when a member joins?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Glen, Thanks for starting this thread!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The manual transmission will feel clunky from first to second gear shifting until the transmission warms up to operating temperatures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also, you can feel the driveline through the M7 stick, which I've discovered is normal in this car (I was used to front/front or rear/rear cars where the stick was connected by cables). A little vibration idling or while driving is normal.

Reactions: Nemeth21

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the list. As a new C7Owner I have already experienced most of these and was wondering about a couple of them.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
But you might think you have a "broken" car. A few things on the car are normal but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

1.Tires/front end chatter/clunk on full lock slow turns
2.Water drips from car after shutoff
3.The motor makes clicking noises when running/idling (direct injectors)
4.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
5. Oil may read different levels on either side of dipstick. Rotate it once before reading, or take the average of both sides.
6. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not.
7. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
8. A minor amt of vibration felt thru the stick shifter is normal.

Please feel free to add others to this thread, I will keep the list up to date...
A little more information...

#2 Only dripping condensate onto the exhaust from the AC is normal, anything else may indicate a cooling system issue / leak.
#3 While there is a fair amount of ticking from the high pressure fuel system, there is also an issue with the belt tensioner that causes a bit more under-hood ticking that will require further attention. Hyd. oil found on the floor or in the engine bay is also indicative of a failed belt tensioner.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Glen; Those two items as posted on your original list will cause concerns by new owners if they are not made aware of them. I just wanted those same folks to know that there might be "other issues" involved.

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51
122 Posts
The manual transmission will feel clunky from first to second gear shifting until the transmission warms up to operating temperatures.
Indeed. When I got some miles on it and could drive a bit more aggressively, I started to feel that 'clunkiness' and hear the linkage noise coming out of first into second. When the transmission is cold or normal around-the-town driving, the transmission has normal resistance and no unique shifting noises. When you 'warm' up the tranny, she gets a bit sloppy per se. As far as I can tell, no performance degradation. Most definitely something the dealers don't tell new owners...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Glen, you may want to add that the first 20%-30% of the throttle response is very damped (numb), especially in Wet, Eco and Tour modes compared to older Vettes and other brands.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am really glad for this post. I have seen some or all of the :normal: items. Thank you sir! Charlie aka cutnout

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can add these- Occasionally the HUD will change the display from what you last set it to when you restart the car, for no rhyme or reason.
If you are cleaning the mirror, you can accidentally trigger the onstar emergency alert.
And this one isnt so bad actually- if you put the parking brake on while stopped in D, if you press the gas pedal mildly, it will auto release (without any loud clunk). The same will happen if the car is in P, and you put it in D, it will auto release. Perhaps the M7 people can confirm the same?

·
Registered
480 Posts
And this one isnt so bad actually- if you put the parking brake on while stopped in D, if you press the gas pedal mildly, it will auto release (without any loud clunk). The same will happen if the car is in P, and you put it in D, it will auto release. Perhaps the M7 people can confirm the same?
With my manual, it dings at you and flashes a message if you try to move without releasing the brake. I have not had it auto-release.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
With my manual, it dings at you and flashes a message if you try to move without releasing the brake. I have not had it auto-release.
It will eventually auto release once you get past a certain point with the clutch. I know because I thought it was the hill hold but I had forgotten to release it :eek:

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
429 Posts
Until I was 'schooled' by the folks on the forum, I was concerned about the "bark" that occurs at high rev during hard acceleration. Add to your list, if you think appropriate.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts