Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the New UPR Catch Can Mounting Hardware, because we've had a few customers that did not tighten the bolt properly and the ground wire did not ground properly. The ground wire controls
the engine and steering and electronics and we came out with this stud to take yet another step at making this kit a more consumer ready and fool proof setup.

I have attached a picture to explain how this stud system gets installed.

UPR C7 Catch Can Mounting Stud-1k.jpg

This is a because we have seen people that have not properly tighten the bolt when installing or tinkering with the catch can and the car loses power and it took a few GM techs to get back to us
that figured it out. This is what we have updated all the GM dealers to that install our products. Hope this helps you everyone out.

Thank you and sorry about the lack of instruction on the new setup.

Please excuse the Typo in the word Instructions as I hit the the A key with my finger and never even caught it. Not Pretty...

Joe

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is exactly why I had my Corvette towed to the dealer image.jpg The catch can was on for over 500 miles & didn't even think about it . I'm lucky a friend has a tow truck & the dealer fixed it for free !

P.S. I guess I need the " fool proof setup" :(

·
Vendor
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly why I had my Corvette towed to the dealer View attachment 30033 The catch can was on for over 500 miles & didn't even think about it . I'm lucky a friend has a tow truck & the dealer fixed it for free !

P.S. I guess I need the " fool proof setup" :(
You can PM me your address and we can send you the new mounting setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't it would make more sense if just install the ground at the very bottom like factory directly to frame? Then using top nut to secure catch can. So in the future to empty catch can, you no longer need to disturbing the ground?

Unless of course there is reason behind why the ground needs to be up top.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Isn't it would make more sense if just install the ground at the very bottom like factory directly to frame? Then using top nut to secure catch can. So in the future to empty catch can, you no longer need to disturbing the ground?

Unless of course there is reason behind why the ground needs to be up top.
I was thinking along the same lines as I read the problem and solution. Leaving the ground wire on top does not solve anything. It will loosen as before when emptying the catch can or simple vibrations of the catch can mounting bracket which happen constantly while driving.

The best solution would be a mount that does not use a ground attachment. The ground bolts were intended to properly torque ground wires and not be influenced by uses they were not intended for.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A far better way to mount the catch can is to use the tapped holes on the front side of the engine on the driver side. There is nothing in those holes to cause the loose ground issues. Also, the vacuum hoses between the engine and catch can will move and vibrate equally at both ends. There is plenty of space in that area and the mounting bracket will remain more secure with less flexing of the vacuum lines causing potential fatigue failure. Another advantage is the vacuum lines will be slightly shorter and the catch can will function better at engine operating temperature.

·
18,667 Posts
UPR Joe, know you are still working on a Z06 specific catch can, in spite of the challenges GM has created with the LT4's design. My dealer told me that there is only one catch can that they will install and will stand behind vis-a-vis down the road motor warranty issues, e.g. UPR!

Have you figured out a way to deal with the LT4's design yet, and if so, a release date please?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I just moved the ground wire over to the next bolt, where there's already another ground. Working fine so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts