Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following 2015 Z06 components, abilities, options, changes, etc. were announced at the NCM Bash. Thank you GM for bringing so many skilled, accessible and friendly staff to help us learn more about the Z06!

* Tadge announced that Z06 will go 0-60 in less than 3.4 seconds! (Significance is that GM's announced time for the ZR1 was 3.5 seconds.);
* Months more testing to go, with expected announcements as to final HP & TQ this summer; however, final tweaking on aero components and MPG specs will not be completed/announced this fall;
* Previously, it was stated that a stage 1 deck spoiler would be the same as the StingRay Z-51 spoiler, but recent testing has shown that the stage 1 deck spoiler probably needs to be enlarged to create better rear downforce;
* Similarly, latest testing is leading to the conclusion that stage 2 and 3 deck spoiler may also need to be increased in size to provide better front to back balance;
* Goal is to make first customer Z06 coupe deliveries late, late 2014;
* Z06 convertible scheduled to debut in Spring, 2015;
* As there will again be different timing for the Z06 coupe and the Convertible, many are now concluding that there will be separate allocations for Z06 coupes and convertibles (paralleling the 2014 StingRay experience);
* HUD will be standard on all Z06's (as will be the previously announced standard NPP, MSRC, and Z-51 components also be on every Z);
* Z06 embossed logo on all GT seats;
* Interiors shown @ NCM Bash show the "final design" of the Z06 interior:

* Z06 interiors include five options, available as follows:
1LZ: Black, Adrenaline Red, Dark Gray;
2LZ: Black, Adrenaline Red, Dark Gray, Kalahairi;
3LZ: Black, Adrenaline Red, Dark Gray, Kalahairi, Twilight Blue (same blue as on 60th Anniversary models);
* Chrome exterior badging is optional; Z06 badge always black chrome;
* Even with stage 2 or 3 front splitters, Z06 will meet GM's 9% ramp angle standard, but going over dips and humps, driveway entrances/exists, etc. could be a greater challenge. Biggest challenge with stage 2/3 could be splitter damage if you go too far forward, hit an "end of parking space 'mini-curb'!"
* Due to much greater front grill air intake requirements, the Z06's front license plate bracket (required in 37 states) is not as wide as the StingRay "aero plate bracket." GM recommends removal of license plate/bracket when tracking the car. For the two states that require a minimum license plate height, there will be a separate bracket that fits right on the "nose," above the grill;
* Learned why the flat center console area around the cup holders is not yet being offered in carbon fiber, i.e. the key fob antenna is below the flat console cover and carbon fiber interferes with fob signals. GM is trying to find a way to solve this, and, if achievable, might later offer this console piece as an additional pure CF option (similar to how visible CF dash trim is currently an option).

Sources: Tadge Juechter, Harlan Charles, Kirk Bennion and Ryan Vaughan, and other GM staff @ April NCM Bash.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Wow, thanks for the additional details elegant!:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great write up and update John. We really appreciate your efforts. Reference the pic above of the convertible with red interior, do you know if the leading edge dashboard wrap around effect is standard on all trim levels?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Hi John,

I have two questions.

1) In the picture shown above, is that a 2LZ interior or a 3LZ interior?

2) I see that the stage 2 and stage 3 front splitters will clear a 9 degree incline. Was there any word about what the incline angle is that a stage 1 will clear?

Thank you!

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great write up and update John. We really appreciate your efforts. Reference the pic above of the convertible with red interior, do you know if the leading edge dashboard wrap around effect is standard on all trim levels?
Good question for GM, like all car companies, when they put out new models for folks to see, loads them up with lots of options and most often, the top of the line. I do not know the answer to your question, but know the e mail of the wonderful person who does. May take a while, but will try to find out and answer your good question late this week. In the interim, my best guess is that the "instrument panel color wrap around" is only on the 2LZ and the 3LZ.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John, I have two questions: 1) In the picture shown above, is that a 2LZ interior or a 3LZ interior? 2) I see that the stage 2 and stage 3 front splitters will clear a 9 degree incline. Was there any word about what the incline angle is that a stage 1 will clear? Thank you!
1) Sure by now you have seen my best guess to your first question above, i.e, do not know yet, but will find out and post that info on this thread end of this week. 2) GM does not share approach angles on different options, so do not know whether you will get a greater angle on the stage one, and if so what that might be. My best guess, doing a lot of guessing this morning, is that because it doesn't stick out as much on the stage 1 as much (probably sticks out 1 1/4" inch less than a stage 2/3), it will "save you" in certain circumstances. As you probably do, I approach all such dips and humps extremely slowly and at a 45 degree angle and minimize risk. At the Bash, Tadge was asked as to whether there are additional, currently unannounced Z06 options, such as a built in "curb alert" and he said, no. He then asked the approximately 200 of us in the audience at that presentation how many of us would want a GM optional "build in curb alert," and about 85% raised their hands. Expect it for 2016. Installing a curb alert on my "visible CF" stage 2 will be done the first few days after I get my Z.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-how-s-guides/3524-curb-alert-system-diy.html

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Thank you, John, for going to the Bash and bring back this wealth of information, and for knowing the contacts with whom you can follow up later on! Also, I have a driveway with multiple peaks/valleys, and cannot go over all of them at 45 degrees (just the front lead-in part, but not later down the drive). I have a 12 degree angle going on there. :( Even if I were to get that fixed, the streets around here are full of slopes and nasty angles. I have started noting it more and more now that I am looking for spots where a low-rider would drag its nose. The Bay Area is extremely hilly!

The good news is that I did extensive measurements on a Z51 along with some computer simulations, and it will go in my driveway (the smallest clearance will be under the rocker panels while they are passing over the biggest driveway "crown"). However, a front splitter could be a different issue entirely...

It would be great to know the straight-on passable incline angle for the stage 1, if GM provides that.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great post John! It's very informative. I thought I might have been the only one obsessing over installing the Curb Alert as I've developed an overwhelming urge to do so with the stage 2/3 aero package. It will "Definitely" be a must on the Z06 stage 2/3 option. It takes me awhile to avoid those nasty little curbs and I've torn up my share of front spoilers in the past.

I was particularly tickled by the fact that Tadge asked everyone about the curb alert and that it might be factory installed on the 2016 models, which won't help us but at least they are thinking about it and they're listening. I can only speak for myself, but all of this has seemed like kinda of a fog until additional information is provided, which I must say you've done a great job of it John. All the different options are starting to really come together now. Now, if I can only begin to understand all the different terms or codes for various options like HUD and so on, I'll be able to better understand what everyone is talking about.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
3.4 to 60! We should have had some bets on the announced figure.

Great info and much appreciated.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking:

3.2 seconds:eight-speed auto coupe
3.3 seconds: seven-speed manual coupe and eight speed-convertible
3.4 seconds: seven-speed manual convertible

We will know final HP & TQ this summer. Reason why believe the auto trans will be faster is because the auto is, according to GM, a tick faster to 60 MPH (3.80 for StingRay auto; 3.85 for StingRay manual). Coupe will be a tick faster than the convertible because it weighs 64 pounds less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was told that for the Z-06 that 2LZ and 3LZ were the same except for the leather (Napa for the 3). (Also, a GM rep said that silver 'vert' was neither Blade Silver nor Shark Gray, but a pre-production color...what ever that means.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went through my notes, and contrary to what I saw posted "elsewhere," GM has already developed specific protocols with their Z06 "plaque maker," to ensure that when the Z06's final HP and TQ figures are determined, its dash plaque will be able to be immediately changed to reflect the actual Z06's power levels. What you see below is therefore just the "current car show plaque."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you for all these details even my Canadian dealer is not able to give me many interesting details.

The year will be long to go:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts