Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 3rd time this has happened. The car is 2 months old with about 2,100 miles.

The car will unlock ok, but when I get in and press the Start button the engine will turn over for half of a second and then quit.

After pressing the Start button a few times a theft deterrent error message will pop up. This happened once in my garage, once in the driveway, and once in a parking lot 150 miles from here.

I took it to the dealer and they told me to start using the 2nd fob, but it still has the same issue.

The only way to fix it is to get out, walk away until the car auto locks, and walk back and try again. I had to try this a few times before it started.

Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,
D2.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
This is the 3rd time this has happened. The car is 2 months old with about 2,100 miles.

The car will unlock ok, but when I get in and press the Start button the engine will turn over for half of a second and then quit.

After pressing the Start button a few times a theft deterrent error message will pop up. This happened once in my garage, once in the driveway, and once in a parking lot 150 miles from here.

I took it to the dealer and they told me to start using the 2nd fob, but it still has the same issue.

The only way to fix it is to get out, walk away until the car auto locks, and walk back and try again. I had to try this a few times before it started.

Thanks,
D2.
Hey D2,

Sorry to hear your fob isn't working properly, especially with such a young car! I'm sure walking back and forth to your car got real old after the first time.
If there's anything we can help with, please PM us so we can look into it for you.

Thanks,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Welcome to our forum Dutch2. Sorry to read about your theft deterrent issue. What Stingray do you have? non-Z51 or Z51, 2 or 3 LT? Should take Jeff M of Customer Care up on his offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Arctic white, 3LT, Z51, 7 Speed manual, Black wheels, performance exhaust, Mag Ride, Dual roof, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors.

Came from an Infinity G37 Coupe, 6-speed, IPL...

D2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
D2,
If you're keeping the fob in a pocket, make sure you're not inadvertently pressing any of the buttons.
I was getting some fob error messages until I became more careful with it and other pocket contents.
B.O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually keep the fob in my pocket, but this last time I had the fob in my hand and put it in a cup holder.

Thanks,
D2.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

Thanks,
D2.
Dutch; Welcome and I have to say this is the first time I have heard of this issue being this convoluted. I read of owners having issues with a single fob, but have never seen anyone having to walk away and come back. When it does restart does it start right, or does it labor as if it won't start, then does? It sounds like a ECM related issue, and maybe a re-flash will get it sorted out. Let us know what is done to fix it. As an afterthought: Check your battery connections for tightness, and while your in there check your battery's voltage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the same problem, 3# times and now a 1100 miles. Towed back to my shop one time, Left the car setting in my driveway overnight the 2ed time and the third times it finely started with theft light on. went to dealer today and they said it had a code po513 stored, unable too duplicate concern, tighten negative battery cable! found loose(quote from dealer). It did it again on the way home! so good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had the same problem, 3# times and now a 1100 miles...
Well at least I am not alone, but it doesn't sound like the dealer really knows how to fix it.

When the car starts, it starts without any issues, but the theft warning light on.

I have to drop my wife off at the airport tonight, I'm afraid to turn the car off in the drop off lane... that's no way to drive...

My biggest worry is that the dealer doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

D2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called OnStar, no codes or faults. Since I had the issue yesterday, it means there is no fault for as far as the car is concerned. It simply thinks I'm trying to steal the car :)

The support person asked if there was a green light on the mirror? I did not see a green light...

D2.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Dutch2, is it possible that you are using something in the car such as a sunshield or panel or suction cup item that drops or moves after you have left the car and locked it? This would trigger the internal sensor and show up as an attempted theft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JsVette, the car is "virgin" except for a BlendMount Radar Detector Mount.

My detector isn't even in the car right now. I know, I'm asking for it.

D2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dutch2, Do you have a smart phone linked to the car? When this happens check to see if the car can still see the phone or link to the phone! When mine did this same thing it would lose connection to the phone. the screen says linked but in fact it was not and it lost all memory of radio programming and settings.Try and call onstar when it happens and they should be able to reset the computer or at least see the concern and code when its happening. I think its a communications problem but I have to reproduce it again with my laptop hooked up so I can see what the computer module sees or is attempting to see before I can arrive at some kind of a diagnostic procedure. If in fact you car sets a po513 it is not understanding the key fob code to let the car start but lets you in, That would indicate a software error. not a module error or power/ground fault. Today I did this and the car started right up. I rolled the window down( only because I was afraid the car would lock me out) left the key fob on the seat and walked away from the car closing the door. The alarm chirped two times to let me know the key fob was in the car. I got back in and the car started. no theft light and no chk engine light. Just an idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm having no issues with the radio or phone connections.

I was at the dealer today to get a tire changed, lucky me found a nail at 1,500 miles.

I told the dealer that the 2nd fob has the same issue. They told me I would have to bring the car back and that they would keep it for a while to try and duplicate the problem. Since the issue does not set a code I'm not sure what good that will do. Very frustrated.

D2.

Reactions: Tadd

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,547 Posts
This may not help your situation, but as far as to where you keep your fob, I hook the fob to an ID type lanyard around the neck and let it hang. If it gets in the way, just tuck it in the shirt. This way, I never have to worry where it is. The old way, coat pockets, pants pockets, I have set off the alarm, left the jacket in the car, etc. Getting old sucks.......:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next time it happens I plan to stick the key into the slot in the steering column to see if that helps.

Also... Just found out they replaced the wrong tire :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any solutions to this Dutch? We just purchased a used 2014 Corvette with 9000 miles, having the same exact problem. Getting stuck places. No warranty hoping for an easy solution. Did you have to take for service? If so what did they do? Would appreciate any information we could get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was 2 years ago, any chance you can post your resolution? having the same problem on a used 2014 corvette we just purchased. Not sure how to proceed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts