Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stopped by the dealer to pick up some parts and the sales manager told me that Chevy will be making a 350hp C7 that will not carry the stingray badge, it would be a 43k price point car.

I hope he's wrong.... What a hunk of junk and a way to take the Vette down a notch.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I just stopped by the dealer to pick up some parts and the sales manager told me that Chevy will be making a 350hp C7 that will not carry the stingray badge, it would be a 43k price point car.

I hope he's wrong.... What a hunk of junk and a way to take the Vette down a notch.
agreed...and the market is very shallow for a 2 seat 40's car......

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's BS from a 1 year old article some talking head hypothesized before we ever had the details on the C7. Ignore it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This guy is a Vette guy and knows the cars and has owed a few including a C6 and is ordering a '15 C7. So I would think he would know....

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
I had heard the same thing at the original reveal, that the second year there would be a C7 that would not carry the Stingray name. The proof will be in the options when 2015 orders are officially open.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
A 350 would seem unlikely to me mainly for the reason that the old LS blocks were a 3.989 cylinder bore to get to a 350 cubic inch. The cylinder bore of the gen 4 LS and now LT1 gen 5s is 4.065, so it would take a diff crank and rods to get to that which meant more R&D costs. IMO they wouldn't destroke the DI LT1, simply due to the costs as well. Now would they dare drop the LS3 in there? It's in the new Chevy SS now and all of the longevity and durability testing is already done too. Plus the costs would rival that of a well equipped Camaro SS with the LS3.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Simply changing the motor isn't going to have that much effect on the price. What else would they have to decontent to get a $8000 price drop? Then they eat into Camaro sales. The whole premiss is misguided and I still believe a propagation of the rumors out before the initial reveal.

I don't believe in the history of the Corvette have they gone backwards as a generation progresses, the initial model is always the starting point for future variants but I'm far from a Corvette historian so I could be wrong.

I guess we will see but it's really irrelevant to me, I have no interest in a decontented, slower C7.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Seems like this approach would produce more negative PR than positive. I think it would diminish, if not dilute the brand which can't be good.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Rumors of a lower cost Corvette have circulated on and off for literally decades. History says it will never happen. But, anything is possible.

Personally, I don't see a Corvette priced $8000 lower generating a boat load of incremental sales.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Would not put it past GM.
Wonder if dealer will need allocations.
Lol !

Alias Frankie!
Perhaps not from the GM of old but the new GM seems to be firing on all cylinders and a screw up like a low end Corvette just doesn't seem in the cards with current management.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can't see GM doing this either. All I've heard is the price is going up in 2015 and that should help keep the value of the 2014s up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Firing on all cylinders?
Tell it to everyone stuck at 1100 for months.
Make no mistake...
There are many that would rather have a 40000 vette than a 40000 Toyota or Hyundai!

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
GM just announced a non-stingray Corvette they called it the Z06 of course the hp is a little off. :)

However as someone pointed out just putting in a different engine is not going to cut the price that much. GM tried this with the hardtop corvette several years ago and we know that didn't work out.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Firing on all cylinders?
Tell it to everyone stuck at 1100 for months.
Make no mistake...
There are many that would rather have a 40000 vette than a 40000 Toyota or Hyundai!

Alias Frankie!
Ever since they came out 61 years ago there are people who which they had enough money to buy one and guess what, Chevy didn't drop the price. You want a $40,000 corvette, you can have one, it just won't be new.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I can't see GM doing this either. All I've heard is the price is going up in 2015 and that should help keep the value of the 2014s up.
I've only heard that on forums like this, there is no verifiable data to confirm that but I'm sure there will be some cost changes as well as option package shuffling.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm sure GM has done their homework on this and if they can figure a way to make a profit they will.
Would certainly cheapen the corvette
Brand.
That has to be in their equation.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember buying a new C5 in '96 for 28k. It was a complete base but I loved it!!

I just realized that my first and now second Vette have LT1 engines... Very cool. lol.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I remember buying a new C5 in '96 for 28k. It was a complete base but I loved it!!

I just realized that my first and now second Vette have LT1 engines... Very cool. lol.
If you bought a C5, you didn't have an LT1. 96 C4s had the last LT1s and LT4s. They were the last C4s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts