Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Took my car to Able Chevrolet on Thursday 3-17-16 to have my oil level confirmed for GM. My car was serviced by Shellworth twice, the initial oil change is when the burnt oil smell first became noticeable. Returned the car dealer confirmed oil was over the max level. When I got home I rechecked the oil and the level was at the max level. I personally removed about 12 ounces with a transfer pump. I complained to GM and we agreed to have the car checked at Able Chevrolet, who confirmed my oil level was correct. They also confirmed I have no leaks. The smell is still present if I do some spirited acceleration and come to a stop and the vents are on.
Thank you for the further details, browndo!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can't believe that I forgot to put my own experience in this thread.

I had my 500 mile oil change done at Fremont Chevrolet in Fremont, California in the Spring of 2016. They are a top-notch facility. Scott, the service manager, is an even-keeled, thorough, and intelligent guy. Johnreb, the Corvette service technician, is extremely knowledgeable, dependable, trustworthy, and on top of everything one needs to know about their beloved C7.

I highly recommend those guys at Fremont Chevrolet.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I read in another forum that Fremont wouldn't service a Corvette that wasn't purchased there.
I think that is false.

Here is why I say that.

The same gentlemen who owns Fremont Chevrolet also owns Fremont Cadillac. My wife bought her Cadillac ATS at a different dealership, but the service at the other dealership was abysmal. So, we went shopping around for a new dealership. We found Fremont Cadillac, and it was absolutely wonderful. They were so good to us, with above-and-beyonds more than anyone could ever expect. Therefore, when I decided to order my Corvette, I wanted to give my business to him since he had been so good to us.

Over time, I was able to get to know the owner personally. He is an extremely intelligent businessman, and a wonderful person to go along with it. There is no way he would ever have a policy that you had to purchase a Corvette from him before he would service it.

If, by any chance, some entry-level service adviser says differently, just escalate it to management. I am confident they would resolve it immediately.

The hearts and souls of his dealerships are gold.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread since I just moved from Boston to downtown San Francisco.

It sounds like a lot of people have good things to say about Abel Chevrolet and that Rodney had good experiences with Fremont Chevrolet.

Has anyone had any other experience with Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City other than the brief comment from BLURAY_Z51? It's a bit closer than the others to downtown SF, but I'm willing to take a longer drive if it means better service.

The closest dealers to downtown SF seem to be Stewart, Putnam, and Dailey. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with any of them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm resurrecting this thread since I just moved from Boston to downtown San Francisco.

It sounds like a lot of people have good things to say about Abel Chevrolet and that Rodney had good experiences with Fremont Chevrolet.

Has anyone had any other experience with Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City other than the brief comment from BLURAY_Z51? It's a bit closer than the others to downtown SF, but I'm willing to take a longer drive if it means better service.

The closest dealers to downtown SF seem to be Stewart, Putnam, and Dailey. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with any of them?

Thanks!
Well, you just made the same move my wife did: Boston to S.F. She went to Boston University, and then went to work in S.F. after graduating.

I know some guys at Boardwalk in Redwood City (actually, I lived in Redwood City for several years). Tim Boone in sales there is a great guy. However, after talking to the service department, I decided there was no way I wanted to take delivery of my C7 there. It was a very "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude, and I could see that I would just be another number that they really didn't care about in the service department. So, I left it instead of taking it. I got my deposit back and went to Fremont Chevrolet.

My hair stylist's husband was good friends with some of the people in management at Stewart, but I did not have any dealings with them directly. She and her husband were talking about buying a C7 from Stewart, but decided on a Tesla Model S instead, which, by the way, she totally loved after getting it.

Dailey is in a rather sketchy neighborhood. I have never been to Dailey Chevrolet, but, well, my suggestion would be for you to try to avoid the whole I-880 corridor from Oakland to CA 92. I was riding in a car on 880 once which took a bullet to the windshield. Idiots there just go around shooting at random cars for fun. Sometimes they will shoot from overpasses, and other times they will shoot from a car in the car pool lane over into the car pool lane going the opposite direction. I have heard they save up for gas money, and then go out and party it away by driving down 880 and shooting at other cars. It's nuts. Sure, the probability that you will be in one of the cars which gets hit is extremely small, but, why take the chance at all? My suggestion would be to just avoid the whole area between I-80 and CA 92 on the East Bay side.

If you decide to go to Fremont Chevrolet, take US 101 or I-280 from S.F. down to Redwood City, and then cross over the Dumbarton Bridge (CA 84). I-880 south of CA 84 is far enough away from the Oakland crazies to be okay.

Enjoy the Bay Area! My wife and I really miss it. She added the following to her playlist after we moved away in spring 2016:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Drive out to Abel and tell them your checking out the place to service your C7. This is the place to go. It is a 1 hour drive for me. I make an appointment time and Abel has always serviced my car immediately. I have never had any problems with their service. You will likely see several Corvettes in their service bay. This is way more reassuring that they know how to service Corvettes than a dealership with Chevrolet cars, trucks, and SUVs filling the service bay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve been using Abel for the last couple years and been very happy with their service. I live an hour away from Abel but think it’s worth it. As a matter of fact, I have a 7:30 am appt for Thursday. The early appt time allows me, knock on wood, to miss the 80 traffic and knuckle heads that Rodney mentioned. Then I take 80/37/101 (Golden Gate Bridge) back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Rodney, Art, and Roger!

Abel seems like the most popular choice, and I do think it's worth driving a little farther to get it right the first time. I used MacMulkin when I was in Boston, and they were about an hour from where I lived.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts