Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I also have a FOB issue but seems different than all others I have seen in the threads. My issue is that if I park the car and let sit for at 24 hours, when I then try either FOB they are dead. The only way I can "reset" this is to open the trunk with the key, the alarm activates. I can then use the FOB to silence the alarm and all else seems to function fine for rest of the day. Once the car sits for a while (at least overnight) the same thing happens. Never an issue in a shorter amount of time like. It seems more like the car is hibernating since same thing happens with both fobs.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,361 Posts
Just so hard to diagnose on a forum electrical/electronic gremlins without real world being there. Have you looked at your security settings on your Drivers Info Center or Infotainment system? That may have to be tweaked a bit or get a re-flash at the dealer. Is car battery fully charged? Questions abound, direct answers to solve fleeting. Sorry, not much help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just so hard to diagnose on a forum electrical/electronic gremlins without real world being there. Have you looked at your security settings on your Drivers Info Center or Infotainment system? That may have to be tweaked a bit or get a re-flash at the dealer. Is car battery fully charged? Questions abound, direct answers to solve fleeting. Sorry, not much help.
Yes I know its always a challenge to diagnose remotely! No error messages have shown up and the battery should be pretty close to fully charges since the car is driven regularly all season

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Welcome to our forum 2019 C7. Possibly your FOB batteries are dead or weak. They are easy to replace and cheap. I suggest you try that next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to our forum 2019 C7. Possibly your FOB batteries are dead or weak. They are easy to replace and cheap. I suggest you try that next.
Thank you. Changed out and also used spare fob that is brand new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you. Changed out and also used spare fob that is brand new.
This sounds more like a main battery/drain problem. The steps below can help isolate the problem: (this is going to be kinda long)
  • Charge the main battery ideally overnight (if you do not have a charger, take the car for an hour long drive)
  • Measure the battery voltage should be about 12.5V
  • Then next AM (Or however long you are letting the car sit) check the battery voltage. It should be within .2V of the previous reading. If the difference is greater than .2 V then we need to determine if we have a battery or a drain issue.
  • To isolate the battery, charge (or drive) again. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery wait overnight and check the voltage again. If the voltage drops to again, you likely have a bad battery. Alternately you can remove the battery and have it checked but that can be a PITA. When re-installing the cables, thoroughly clean the battery terminals and the cable ends.
  • If the voltage does not drop when the battery cable is removed, then we are in the area of a 12 pack (or more), volt meters, service manuals and a lot of adult language.
In all seriousness diagnosing these type of electrical issue require patience and time. The best advice I can give you is that it is almost always the simplest explanation. If you are doing research on the web, do not limit yourself to only Corvette. Cadillac shares many of the electrical systems.

Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
FWIW, the spare fob battery discharges and dies even though "not in use" as it is broadcasting for RKE purposes. This has happened to me twice in the 5+ years I've had mine, and when I started having similar problems to yours with my main fob, the spare was also "dead". I had to replace batteries in both fobs (main and spare) at the same time. Try changing the battery in one of your keyfobs before spending the time and effort to run down the other possibilities.

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 7 of 7 Posts