Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Official Admiral Blue Exterior Paint Thread:

Admiral Blue (AB) returns, and while we believe that it will be the identical paint as in the '94-'96 C4's, will seek formal clarification at the BASH of whether it not only looks the same and has the identical name, but whether it is a tiny bit different -- maybe getting some minor metallic, etc.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Here are a couple of photos taken this morning at the Sebring Corvette Corral. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
The second picture John posted the color is awesome looking, the second picture purpleRac3r posted big difference in the color, lighting makes a big difference in color appearance. I believe the General will sale a lot of these C7 masterpiece's.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
The second picture John posted the color is awesome looking, the second picture purpleRac3r posted big difference in the color, lighting makes a big difference in color appearance. I believe the General will sale a lot of these C7 masterpiece's.

SF
Rick
Yes, I agree with that as well. The colors on the renderings are colors I like. I can't say the same for the particular shades which result from the pictures taken at Sebring.

It is like you said: lighting makes a big difference. Cameras can also.

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The '94-96 Admiral Blue had no metallic. Unless the 2017 Admiral Blue does (which we just do not know yet), let's just say my personal preference is for a metallic blue. However, until we see it in person....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
For what it's worth, I just talked to my friend at Sebring, asking him about the color. He says in person it is identical to the Admiral Blue from the C4 era. The light has not been good for photography, and it's common for blues to not render well in digital photos (his own Supersonic Blue '13 GS comes up purple in a lot of pix). So the GM-provided imagss are the more accurate. My friend will try to get better pix over the weekend. I am posting more information in the Grand Sport thread.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
John, are you sure the '96 Admiral Blue wasn't metallic, or perhaps a pearl-like color? Every photo I've looked at of a '96 GE sure looks metallic to a degree, similar to the way Shark Gray looks metallic (not heavy like some). And my local club had a '96 GS in it for several years, and I seem to recall it looking metallic.

Either way, the new version sure looks metallic in both the GM photos and my friend's. I'll see if I can clarity that with him tomorrow.

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The '94-96 AB was not a metallic according to the Corvette Black Book. It lists colors by year and each is identified as a metallic (using that actual word) or not, and while there are several other Corvette metallics listed by that exact name -- again including the word "Metallic" for those three years, Admiral Blue is not.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
True, I checked my Black Book this morning. And I did ask my friend about the current color, which he didn't think was metallic either (but it sure looks like it's metallic in the photos!). He did qualify his statement, in that the lighting in the display tent is rather poor, and that he wasn't at the track at the time we'd talked. He will try to verify one way or the other today while there for the race, even if it means asking Harlan Charles directly. I will report here as soon as I find out!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Might be close to the 2004 color. Charlie aka cutnout

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ok, well, the lighting was poor all weekend in the display tent, so my friend had a hard time determining if the new Admiral Blue is metallic or not. He thinks not. And if it's been that difficult to tell, it probably isn't, just like the original. I guess we'll have to see when the blue GS is next displayed, whether at the New York auto show or the Bash. Sorry we couldn't pin it down just yet, guys & gals.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Here are the photos I took of the Admiral Blue GS at the Bash.

Admiral Blue 01.JPG Admiral Blue 02.JPG Admiral Blue 03.JPG Admiral Blue 04.JPG Admiral Blue 05.JPG Admiral Blue 06.JPG Admiral Blue 07.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,275 Posts
NCM's first 2016 Admiral Blue delivery car. This beauty will be picked up next Tuesday.
This is our new member, Flashy500's, new C7! See his post below. Super cool!

image.jpeg

1 - 20 of 61 Posts