Stingray Corvette Forum banner

561 - 574 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am new to the Corvette Forum:

I drive a 2014 C7 (3LT Z51) with about 50,000 miles on it, and I keep hearing an internal engine noise / clatter like an "engine lifter" or "rockers" rattling. I'm told that on the Corvettes that a little rattling is normal, but mine it is very annoying and seems to be louder than reasonable. My power train warranty expires on July 31, and I'm afraid that it may be something internal going on. I took it into the dealership today, and they said it was my Driver Belt Tensioner, which I highly doubted, but I allowed them to replace it, but the car is still making the same sound / noise. I have ruled out it being the Exhaust Baffles, which also make awkward sounds as well.

Please advise / help

Thanks,

Deran
Post a link to a video with the noise.

Search the forum for sound clips with normal noise from the LT1 engine.

·
Administrator
15,025 Posts
Welcome to our forum Deran. Your first post has been moved to this thread. Sorry to read of the issues you are experiencing. Rodney's suggestion is spot on. Have a passenger video tape the sound and post it here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello guys...I have a 3300 model 1051 Corvette battery charger for my 2016 Corvette. I noticed earlier that the middle top indicator ( the charging indicator) was blinking red. No other top indicators were lit . I unplugged it , and reinstalled it. The same indicator was solid red. I started up my car...voltage was fine with no signs of a low battery. My car is 4 months shy of 4 years old. Do you think my battery is bad? I read the owners manual, and there is no explanation for just this one red light.

·
Super Moderator
3,275 Posts
Hello guys...I have a 3300 model 1051 Corvette battery charger for my 2016 Corvette. I noticed earlier that the middle top indicator ( the charging indicator) was blinking red. No other top indicators were lit . I unplugged it , and reinstalled it. The same indicator was solid red. I started up my car...voltage was fine with no signs of a low battery. My car is 4 months shy of 4 years old. Do you think my battery is bad? I read the owners manual, and there is no explanation for just this one red light.
I have the same charger. Mine started to blink like that and it was because the plug was loose in the socket. I think I may need to replace the socket at some point?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My plug isn't loose, and the charger shows a good connection with the green bottom light. I'm really stumped.
Any problem starting? I have a 2015 and just replaced the battery earlier this year because it wouldn't fire right up and you normally will only get 3 to 4 years on an OEM battery. I had a feeling mine was going when it wouldn't start right away and knew it would be soon to replace, until I was in the driveway after a ride, turned it off in the driveway, then went back to pull int in the garage about 10 minutes later and it wouldn't start. I don't have the Corvette battery tender/charger but have another so I can't help with your question about the lights but mine did help it enough to get it to charge and start up so that I could get it in the garage and let it sit on the tender. I replaced the battery the next day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an interesting issue that's ongoing so we'll see what happens

I have a 2014 C7 A6 Z51 with 46k miles on it.
I like many people would get the "Service Rear Axle" warning and I finally just replaced the battery.

Then one day I got a "Rear Axle System Off" warning and it kept coming on if I started the car.

Took my car in to the dealer, had some usual dealer issues but ultimately it came down to them saying the differential was overfilled substantially and it had many metal shavings. They could try to flush it and see what happens.
Funny, because at 25k miles my vehicle had the rear diff replaced due to being delivered low on fluid. At 30k it had the diff controller replaced. And now I'm outside of my warranty and 3 months outside of those repair warranties without any help.

Currently I have a case with GM for assistance. It's funny that I have paperwork saying "Service Rear Axle Warning Came On" and they said it was nothing, fluid levels fine, etc from the diff being replaced and then the controller still until now.

Since my intial visit it has been over 1 month. With the Chevy Assistance Team I have been escalated 3 times and currently they are checking with the regional manager to see what he can offer.

While I'm shortly outside of my warranty and part warranty I do qualify for the 100% Goodwill (Ex-GM Service Manager) so it's especially annoying I'm missing the good weather with my Corvette when my track rat 321k mile S2000 is handling +180whp through a notoriously weak differential for 200k that I have had it.

·
Administrator
15,025 Posts
Live Fast welcome to our forum. Sorry to read of your issues. Hope they get resolved soon.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I have an interesting issue that's ongoing so we'll see what happens

I have a 2014 C7 A6 Z51 with 46k miles on it.
I like many people would get the "Service Rear Axle" warning and I finally just replaced the battery.

Then one day I got a "Rear Axle System Off" warning and it kept coming on if I started the car.

Took my car in to the dealer, had some usual dealer issues but ultimately it came down to them saying the differential was overfilled substantially and it had many metal shavings. They could try to flush it and see what happens.
Funny, because at 25k miles my vehicle had the rear diff replaced due to being delivered low on fluid. At 30k it had the diff controller replaced. And now I'm outside of my warranty and 3 months outside of those repair warranties without any help.

Currently I have a case with GM for assistance. It's funny that I have paperwork saying "Service Rear Axle Warning Came On" and they said it was nothing, fluid levels fine, etc from the diff being replaced and then the controller still until now.

Since my intial visit it has been over 1 month. With the Chevy Assistance Team I have been escalated 3 times and currently they are checking with the regional manager to see what he can offer.

While I'm shortly outside of my warranty and part warranty I do qualify for the 100% Goodwill (Ex-GM Service Manager) so it's especially annoying I'm missing the good weather with my Corvette when my track rat 321k mile S2000 is handling +180whp through a notoriously weak differential for 200k that I have had it.
That should be part of the drivetrain. That warranty is longer than 3 years / 36 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Live Fast welcome to our forum. Sorry to read of your issues. Hope they get resolved soon.
Thank you, I hope so too.

That should be part of the drivetrain. That warranty is longer than 3 years / 36 months.
The 2014-2015 did get a 5 year / 100k drivetrain warranty. However I'm out by time rather than mileage. By 11 months exactly.
Interestingly enough the differential was replaced over 2 years and 3 months ago due to the low fluid and it's outside of that repair warranty.

However it being majorly overfilled, the vehicle being low mileage, and me being juuuust outside of warranty does indicate I should get some assistance. Funny enough the dealership they want me to use is the one that did the recall/replacement which is a 6 hour drive away and they don't want to pay for a flat bed... Oh well lets see.

And this is my second 2014. My last one was totalled by being hit while parked and it was at 88k miles.

Update:

So now it's been 1 month since my vehicle was diagnosed with a bad differential and I contacted the customer assistance team. After TONS of back and forth, 4 "escalations" I was finally told my the rep she got an email saying the regional rep denied any assistance with no clarification explainations or escalation. Thankfully the Service Manager was at the dealership and I was on the way there to speak with him so I had them both on the phone.

Now I have it arranged to see a regional representative in person about the issue. The customer assistance team really is awful to go through and I have not been able to drive my vehicle for a full month.

To make matters worse I do have a 1999 with a crate motor ordered (LS3), three diesel work trucks recently purchased, and a 1965 factory restored.

Guess they really don't want me to go through with a C8

·
Registered
9 Posts
BAD Infotainment Screen on 2014 Stingray

Good thing I bought the GMPP extended warranty!

My infotainment screen went totally black one day in June when I started the car after lunch. It had been parked outside a restaurant on a hot day here in Raleigh, NC. Although the screen was black, all the non-visible buttons worked, if I remembered where they were. The next day the screen was fine. Then it happened again a few days later. Then OK, then bad, etc.

I finally figured out that lowering and raising the screen, would cause the problem to return, so I made an appointment at the local dealer here in Raleigh I take all my cars to, and the service advisor assured me they knew exactly what it was and how to fix it. Two days after I dropped it off, they called me and I picked up the car and sure enough, it was fine. Until I drove down the road a few miles and lowered the screen to put away my sunglasses. That did it! Black screen, although it alternated between flickering, or all black, or sometimes it was even working. Seems like this dealer did NOT exactly test the unit very well.

So I called to tell then it was NOT fixed and made a second appointment. Now it's been in for exactly one week "waiting for parts." Today they called to say the screen is backordered and won't be in until early October, at least another two weeks to wait. So "please come back and get your car so you can keep it garaged at your house, and we'll call you when the screen comes in".

They've been very courteous, I asked and got loaners both times, but I think this is total BS. Yes, they either reset or replaced my original screen, because all the stations and destinations were gone. So somebody there does not know what is happening with those screens. Or they do not know how to change the connectors, the cable, whatever.

I love this car (less than 11,000 miles on it), but this experience has left a really bad taste. It will be at least 5 weeks before it gets fixed.

Any suggestions? :nightmare: :nightmare:

Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,025 Posts
Good thing I bought the GMPP extended warranty!

My infotainment screen went totally black one day in June when I started the car after lunch. It had been parked outside a restaurant on a hot day here in Raleigh, NC. Although the screen was black, all the non-visible buttons worked, if I remembered where they were. The next day the screen was fine. Then it happened again a few days later. Then OK, then bad, etc.

I finally figured out that lowering and raising the screen, would cause the problem to return, so I made an appointment at the local dealer here in Raleigh I take all my cars to, and the service advisor assured me they knew exactly what it was and how to fix it. Two days after I dropped it off, they called me and I picked up the car and sure enough, it was fine. Until I drove down the road a few miles and lowered the screen to put away my sunglasses. That did it! Black screen, although it alternated between flickering, or all black, or sometimes it was even working. Seems like this dealer did NOT exactly test the unit very well.

So I called to tell then it was NOT fixed and made a second appointment. Now it's been in for exactly one week "waiting for parts." Today they called to say the screen is backordered and won't be in until early October, at least another two weeks to wait. So "please come back and get your car so you can keep it garaged at your house, and we'll call you when the screen comes in".

They've been very courteous, I asked and got loaners both times, but I think this is total BS. Yes, they either reset or replaced my original screen, because all the stations and destinations were gone. So somebody there does not know what is happening with those screens. Or they do not know how to change the connectors, the cable, whatever.

I love this car (less than 11,000 miles on it), but this experience has left a really bad taste. It will be at least 5 weeks before it gets fixed.

Any suggestions? :nightmare: :nightmare:

Thanks.
They probably tried the appropriate software updates and that is what lost your stations and destinations. A number of us had our info screens experience similar problems within a few years of ownership. The required procedure, if I recall correctly, was that before the unit could be physically replaced, the software update had to be tried. In some cases that fixed the problem but in others, like mine, it then went in for the unit replacement. That is a major task, with a fair amount of the dash removed, etc. But once it is done, the issue has not returned in my case or in any other member's that I can recall where they had the replacement. If you use the search function and put in Infotainment Screen Replacement, you will find a number of threads going back several years.
Finally, unfortunately, the ongoing strike is probably going to further delay your dealer receiving the replacement unit.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has knowledge about this warranty issue? I just received some surprising information from a self described "very experienced" service writer at my Dealer of choice service department. I was told that "anytime" GM replaces a part it is a re-manufactured part . They do not replace drive train , engine parts with new parts. IN 50 years of buying new automobiles I have never heard that. I have been under the impression if you have a failure of a part covered under full factory warranty it is repaired and or replaced with the correct NEW GM part.
Did i miss something in the fine print?
In my case my C7 has been sitting at the dealership for almost a month waiting for a transmission and torque converter assembly to replace the one in the car under the TSB for delayed engagement ( 16NA364). Due to the strike no parts have been coming from GM. Now I am told they are trying to get a "re-manufactured " transmission from other dealers all over the country. Needless to say in spite of the service writers assurance that they have all new parts in them I am not happy.
I have opened a Customer Care case with GM and am waiting for contact between CC and the dealership. CC would not answer my question . While being very polite they are telling me they need to contact the dealer. I am fine with that as i understand there are always two sides to every issue and they want to get the dealership side. Even so i was assured by CC that my expectations were reasonable . Although when I mentioned that to the service writer his response was they are customer service and they don't know what is "really" going on at the repair level.
Am I crazy and for the last 50 years and dozens of car purchases for myself and family had the wool pulled over my eyes as I spent many thousands of dollars on warranties that were represented as covering parts with new GM manufactured parts for my automobile? Now i find out they "always" use re-manufactured parts .
Have I stumbled on a deep dark secret of the manufactures warranty repair policies or did I just not read the fine print of all these warranties and this falls under buyer beware when dealing with automobile dealers.
Or perhaps I am unreasonable and using "re-manufactured " parts is the norm and i am worried for nothing?? Admittingly I am old school. Re-manufactured to me means we took a broken one and "fixed" it . In my mind if someone broke a part like a transmission assembly perhaps there are many parts that are in need to repair or very close to it. Why would i want to place those parts in my car and now someone else problem is my problem to deal with.
Lot of very bright and knowledgeable folks on this site . I look forward to see others perspective on this.

·
Administrator
15,025 Posts
Good questions indeed 15snow-ray. I was under the impression that they could replace with a new or re-manufactured part under a warranty repair. Looking forward to what you find out.

561 - 574 of 574 Posts