Stingray Corvette Forum banner

341 - 341 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Chevy brought about a dozen new C8's to Carlisle last weekend, including an LBR. It wasn't in the show tent, but parked in the VIP area after being driven from Detroit by one of the engineers. The LBR and the Blade Silver were the best looking colors. Most of the others were pretty ugly, especially with only painted wheels available (no chrome, really?). Seeing the car up close, I still don't like the styling. It really looks Euro now. The hood area looks like a Lotus, the side view looks like McLaren. Not America's sports car anymore. The rear is the best looking part of the car for me, very chiseled. Having said that, most people there liked the overall look. It might grow on me over time. I was impressed with the engineering (being a Mechanical Engineer) as seen from the body, engine and transaxle cut-aways. Also got a lot of good details from the engineers there, like the cooling system runs at 30 psi, about double typical due to the distance from upfront radiators (2 in parallel) and the engine. Chevy brought 30 people with various titles to the show! Other interesting points include a very robust frame structure, and overall equipment layout. The size of the transaxle is amazingly small given it contains 8 gears, 2 clutches and the differential! The engine also looks very compact, with the ancillaries packaged very well. The cockpit area has about the same elbow and head room as my C7, with a little more leg room. At 6'4" and 255 lbs., I fit.
View attachment 272188
I sure wish Chevrolet would allow a spoiler delete on the Z51 package, but Tadge has said they will not as the aerodynamic work and testing included the spoiler. I really like the look without it, but I like the other elements in the Z51 package. Of course, the issue is moot, as I am not going to buy one anyway, as I am very happy with my C7 and as noted elsewhere I would need a divorce to do so. --Bob

341 - 341 of 341 Posts