Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my C7, which is an unbelievable drive, for less than 30 days. Last week I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor of my painted garage (pics below). I also noticed a few drops in the drive way. The drops were located generally in the area to the inside of the driver's side front tire and a little behind where the tire is located on the vehicle. I decided to take it in to the dealer. We checked the car together on the lift with flashlights and could not detect the source of the leak, but it definitely had one as the pictures prove. BUT, as we were checking the car the technician noticed that the transmission was leaking. And the location of the drops of oil on the garage floor make it impossible that the transmission was the source of the other drops (the drops on the floor also showed no hint of red color). The shop has had my car for 5 days now and they believe that the problem is a seal. To fix it, they are going to have to take the transmission apart and replace the seal. They also think that they'll need to keep the car for at least another week. I am extremely worried about my brand new corvette having its transmission taken apart!!!

On a good note, I am generally happy with my dealer and believe that they have the right technician on the job. But I'm thinking that at this point I might want to get Chevy involved. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on whether I should calm down and let the dealer do their job or, rather, I should demand a new transmission from the factory to replace the leaking transmission so that I'm not driving a brand new car with a transmission that's been tampered with. Also, I'd like to hear if anyone has thoughts about the oil leak and whether I should worry about it since it looks like it has spontaneously resolved itself without the ability to even pinpoint where it came from.

This forum has been invaluable with the purchase process and I'd really appreciate some input from some of the senior members on these new issues.

Thanks,

Hornlaw

IMG_00000045.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
whether I should calm down and let the dealer do their job
good thinking.... let them fix it ...

you can demand, but per GM warranty policy, they won't give you a new transmission....or a new car at this point.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You really need to give them a chance to try and make it right. Document it and keep an eye on it after it's fix.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You really need to give them a chance to try and make it right. Document it and keep an eye on it after it's fix.
I agree give them a chance to fix it. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good thinking.... let them fix it ...

you can demand, but per GM warranty policy, they won't give you a new transmission....or a new car at this point.
Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on the oil drops? Should I really not worry about oil leaks in a brand new car? On the plus side, I hold cars for no more than 2 years, so I'll never own it outside the warranty... I'm also an attorney and will lemon law it in a second if this issue progresses and it comes to that. So far, I've been impressed with Chevrolet's customer service. I have my fingers crossed that this turns out to be a non-issue. Driving the Malibu loaner is killing me though...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on the oil drops? Should I really not worry about oil leaks in a brand new car? On the plus side, I hold cars for no more than 2 years, so I'll never own it outside the warranty... I'm also an attorney and will lemon law it in a second if this issue progresses and it comes to that. So far, I've been impressed with Chevrolet's customer service. I have my fingers crossed that this turns out to be a non-issue. Driving the Malibu loaner is killing me though...
a leaky seal is a pretty common occurance...I think at this point you are over- worrying...and as a lawyer, you can find out about lemon law...they usually have to miss the fix 3 times in one year in most states....let them do their job...and keep confrontation out of the mix....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.