Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I am again. Just had my 2nd oil change on my 2018 C7 Stingray. Same issue as the last time. When I come to a stop light I smell oil burning. I'm sure there is no residual oil on the frame or anywhere else on the car as I brought the car back to the shop twice to get checked last time. It ultimately disappeared about 1000 miles later. Anyone have any clue as to this issue? It is really baffling. Not the end of the world but somewhat annoying. Thanks.
Mitch

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
Sorry to read that Mitch. Very strange indeed. It is not a normal post oil change experience in C7s. For example, I have never experienced any oil smell following RedHot's oil changes (all at the dealer) over the past nearly 7 years. Was the oil change done at the same dealer as the first time? Perhaps there is something unique to where they put rags, or drip oil when doing the change on your car that is causing it-- especially since it eventually goes away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. The oil change was done at a Chevrolet dealer in Connecticut the 1st time and a Chevrolet dealer in North Carolina the 2nd time. This is really a strange issue but way too coincidental to happen twice. Thanks for the reply.
Mitch

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
You are not the only person that this has happened to. It was being discussed even before I took delivery in February 2016. For that reason, I have always been careful when changing the oil, and I have never had a problem. If people aren't careful, then what you are experiencing can result.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with being very careful. My 1st 3 oil changes are free hence I go to a Chevy dealer. I just assumed oil got onto a hot part and was burning. Not true. My dealer put it up on a lift and we both did a very careful inspection under the car. It was spotless! No oil or residue anywhere. My other question is why does it just disappear suddenly after many driven miles? I really do not think it was a careless oil change. But then again I truly have no idea what it could be.
Mitch

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had this problem since my very first oil change on my 2015 (base Stingray). After continually experiencing this after oil changes for the first 1000+ miles and several trips to my dealer, I did my own experimenting doing my own oil change and then with the dealer, for some unknown reason, 6 quarts completely fills mine with an oil and filter change. The hash marks on the dipstick are completely covered. Even the dealer agrees. As long as they only put in 6 quarts, no oil smell. I regularly check my oil level. It remains full until the next change. No oil pressure issues. It is a mystery that my dealer and their Corvette mechanic can't explain, but proven to be true on my 2015.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had this experience as well. I have a 2015 Z51 and determined it was due to the dealer overfilling my oil. I have them put in no more than 9.25 to quartz then I drive it home and top it off accordingly. No oil burning smells since. This is the same dealership that after several overfillings then put in 7 quartz as if they were changing oil in a standard C7. I now have my services done elsewhere.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,427 Posts
Well here I am again. Just had my 2nd oil change on my 2018 C7 Stingray. Same issue as the last time. When I come to a stop light I smell oil burning. I'm sure there is no residual oil on the frame or anywhere else on the car as I brought the car back to the shop twice to get checked last time. It ultimately disappeared about 1000 miles later. Anyone have any clue as to this issue? It is really baffling. Not the end of the world but somewhat annoying. Thanks.
Mitch
Used to think that was a dealer Tech spilling oil behind the dry sump tank, which is easy to do if the fill too quickly. Have done all my own changes on my 2014 Z51 and now my Grand Sport and the baffles in the tank require pouring very slowly. I also put a large rag around the opening. If the Tech spills oil they can clean the front and sides but not easy on the back, which is next to the firewall. That is right where the not so great cover is for the in cabin filter!

BUT a poster recently found when he had oil dripping from the air filter it turned it was NOT overfilled the Tech used a device that works on a wet sump BUT not the C7 dry sump. Pic below.
This type of funnel locks into the oil fill top, like the cap. Then the Teck can fill quickly, easy to do if they pull the handle on a pumped oil gun from a 55 gallon drum. Also is pouring from a uart container the oil will go up the funnel, then run down the hose that "burps" the svanged air from the crackcase from the tank to he air intake tube!

Have done all my own oil changes in C6 and C7's since 2008. Never smelled oil! I do my own, even at 77, so I know it's done right! Also takes less time than going into town and worry if the Tech will use the jack pads I put on my passenger seat when I do need service!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roc
I've had this problem since my very first oil change on my 2015 (base Stingray). After continually experiencing this after oil changes for the first 1000+ miles and several trips to my dealer, I did my own experimenting doing my own oil change and then with the dealer, for some unknown reason, 6 quarts completely fills mine with an oil and filter change. The hash marks on the dipstick are completely covered. Even the dealer agrees. As long as they only put in 6 quarts, no oil smell. I regularly check my oil level. It remains full until the next change. No oil pressure issues. It is a mystery that my dealer and their Corvette mechanic can't explain, but proven to be true on my 2015.
Doc you are spot on. I did some experimenting of my own this weekend. I sucked out about 10 ounces of oil from the dipstick tube. Voila - no more oil burning smell. So from now on 6.5 quarts go into the "Red Demon", not 7. Why doesn't Chevrolet issue a service bulletin? We can't be the only ones having this issue and it seems like a really easy quick fix. Well - thanks for the post as it seems to have solved my issue.
Regards,
Mitch

·
Registered
14 Posts
0w40 Mobil 1 dexos2 says "1L" on the bottle...7 liters = 6.5 quarts. Don't have the owner's manual in front of me, but I think it calls for 7 liters...

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,427 Posts
FWIW, been changing oil since I was ~10, helping my Dad. That was 67 years ago. Have always done what I was taught then and is clearly stated in the 4 volume C7 Service Manual, "the volume from a table 'Is Just an Estimate,' always check the level on the dip stick!" That's particularly an issue with Dry Sump C7s BUT for WET and DRY sump the Owner's Manual says in both "Remove Oil If Above the Max Level! It says it could harm the engine if Low OR High. The issue with high oil is it can hit the spinning crack, cause excess to be splashed on the cylinder walls and also cause oil foam.

Frankly FREE was not worth the risks to me so for my 2014 Z51 or my current Grand Sport I have changed my own oil as I did for my C6 and prior 2 Vettes. Those "risks" include 1) lifting without lift pads and cracking a rocker panel, 2) taking the easy way out and using the dexos oil blend the boss bought in 55 gallon drums and has in the oil change service bay versus going to the parts department and lugging quarts of Mobil 1 (only specified for Vettes) back to the service bay, 3) using the pump on the drum and filling with a volume in a table, 4) not running the engine for 10 minutes to get it hot to check the oil level and topping up as needed.

A number of Forum Members have said they ask the Tech to under fill one quart and give it to them so they can top off to wherever they want, when they get home when the oil is hot. If I had a tech do it, would be my choice unless I was confident it would be done properly. Frankly even then I'd check the level when I got home!

Your Car Your Choice! Maybe when I get "old" I'll let a tech change oil!😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts