Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dealer told me that they do not recommend Mobil One anymore and are using a new oil. What is everyone else
doing?
I'm going with Mobile One! ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm just using the dealer's Dexos oil they have on hand. I'll not be putting that many miles on per year, and still changing it twice a year. I'll use Mobil one once the two year service is up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm using Mobil 1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Used Mobil One at my 1,500 mile change. Will let dealer use what they use for next 4 and then will price shop for dexos approved oils.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
OIl change time!

Dealer told me that they do not recommend Mobil One anymore and are using a new oil. What is everyone else
doing?
I'm sorry but your dealer is lazy and not up to date with current GM news. Sure, GM introduced DEXOS and paused their Mobil 1 partnership but as of last month they are back together and all new C7's are delivered with this brochure.

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1402880527.308797.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1402880550.117299.jpg

What is still in question is whether Mobil 1 is now the factory fill.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just changed mine last night. I used Castrol Edge full synthetic (formerly Castrol Syntec). Been using it in all of my cars since 2005 and am completely happy with it. It dropped my oil temperatures by 15 - 20 degrees in my Spyder back in 2005 and sold me on it. It is also dexos approved.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
acrosport, I use the Mobil 1 Extened Performance.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will pay the difference for the Mobile 1 when I get the free oil changes.

You also might like to know that on my C5 Z06 and C6 ZR1 I have always sent an oil sample in for analysis at each oil change.

The interesting thing is that if you change you oil before it is near 100% you are wasting your money the oil is perfect.

That includes several track days running the car hard with race tires.

The Mobile 1 was still perfect!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Today my dealer used Mobil 1 on the first oil change at 1500 miles. We only get 4 free oil changes in 2 years, might as well get it done.

Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
...The interesting thing is that if you change you oil before it is near 100% you are wasting your money the oil is perfect.
But isn't that just the way most car guys / gals are? I mean it has always been cheap insurance for me. My garage queen gets her oil changes once a year whether she needs it or not. I have been told by people that also know about such things and they agree with you, but I still like the idea of changing it based only on my own "feel good about it" notions.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just changed mine last night. I used Castrol Edge full synthetic (formerly Castrol Syntec). Been using it in all of my cars since 2005 and am completely happy with it. It dropped my oil temperatures by 15 - 20 degrees in my Spyder back in 2005 and sold me on it. It is also dexos approved.
Did it drop the oil temp. on the C7?

·
Registered
220 Posts
doing?
My dealer said they would use Mobil 1 at change.

·
Registered
220 Posts
doing?
What's the "new" oil?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Did it drop the oil temp. on the C7?
No, I can't say that I have noticed a difference in the Corvette oil temps, but I was not expecting it too. I am just happy with the oil performance I have seen over the last 10 or so years of using it in all my cars. The Spyder was definitely a weird occurrence that I cannot explain, but it was truly the case. I went from Amsoil 5-30 full synthetic to Castrol Syntec and the oil temp dropped that same day. It never again ran as high as it had previously. I haven't noticed a change like that in any of my other vehicles since that time. I have to assume that the Spyder engine had some uniquely tight clearances somewhere and that the Castrol was more "slippery" or something. Anyway, it has treated my cars great ever since. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
so mobile 1 15w -50 is not dexos approved? label doesn't show dexos approved. so what oil should I use in the z51 for "performance" driving???

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No, I can't say that I have noticed a difference in the Corvette oil temps, but I was not expecting it too. I am just happy with the oil performance I have seen over the last 10 or so years of using it in all my cars. The Spyder was definitely a weird occurrence that I cannot explain, but it was truly the case. I went from Amsoil 5-30 full synthetic to Castrol Syntec and the oil temp dropped that same day. It never again ran as high as it had previously. I haven't noticed a change like that in any of my other vehicles since that time. I have to assume that the Spyder engine had some uniquely tight clearances somewhere and that the Castrol was more "slippery" or something. Anyway, it has treated my cars great ever since. :)
I had a similar experience with my LY powered boat (LY is the iron block version of the LS). Changed from M1 to Castrol Syntec. Peak oil temp, which happens when coming off a hard run, ran 10-15 degrees cooler.

I am a believer that even top tier oils are different.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
so mobile 1 15w -50 is not dexos approved? label doesn't show dexos approved. so what oil should I use in the z51 for "performance" driving???
Mobil 1 15w-50 IS the oil GM recommends you use for track use, I assume you mean on road performance driving. Just use a good top tier DEXOS certified oil, nothing you can legally do on the public roads will even remotely stress the motor to the level you will reach on a track. If you are stressing the motor to track levels on the street then bump up to a more performance oriented viscosity, make sure it's got the proper API certification and enjoy your car. GM can never prove the oil wasn't DEXOS, don't stress over it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mobil 1 15w-50 IS the oil GM recommends you use for track use, I assume you mean on road performance driving. Just use a good top tier DEXOS certified oil, nothing you can legally do on the public roads will even remotely stress the motor to the level you will reach on a track. If you are stressing the motor to track levels on the street then bump up to a more performance oriented viscosity, make sure it's got the proper API certification and enjoy your car. GM can never prove the oil wasn't DEXOS, don't stress over it.
Thanks Mark. I run the car hard. Yes, on the street. Not at race track levels but pedal to the floor ALL the time and some long road high mph runs as well. I was confused about the whole dexos approved oil GM recommends then they turn right around and recommend a non dexos oil if "performance driving or racing" . So I just think it's interesting that a non dexos oil provides better protection than a dexos oil when running the car hard.....as it was meant to be! Just trying to learn something about oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts