Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Oil percentage is reading 65%.
At the end of Aug we are joining the Corvette Caravan from California to Bowling Green.
I highly doubt I will drive enough BEFORE that start date to warrant an oil change (I do them myself).
I also plan on continuing my drive into the New England area...so I'll be driving A LOT.

So my question is...and I know its one that cannot be answered without further information...like where will you be?

Can I post the question here as to WHERE to get an oil change (a dealer that KNOWS Corvettes would be preferable) when I get closer to that low % number?

In that post I would say where I was and possible next destination.

I hope with all the Corvette enthusiasts across the nation and here I can find a reputable Corvette oil change.

Thanks All

See you in BG

Mike G

·
Administrator
15,888 Posts
I don't think it should be a problem, especially if you can post a few days ahead of when you anticipate you will need the change. One or more of our members should be able to provide you recommendation(s) and a contact at the respective dealer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Since you do it yourself perhaps starting with a fresh oil service will alleviate the need for an oil change on the road?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Since you do it yourself perhaps starting with a fresh oil service will alleviate the need for an oil change on the road?
If he is going to New England from CA, making it the whole way round-trip, even starting at 100%, might not be possible.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
So my Oil percentage is reading 65%.
At the end of Aug we are joining the Corvette Caravan from California to Bowling Green.
I highly doubt I will drive enough BEFORE that start date to warrant an oil change (I do them myself).
I also plan on continuing my drive into the New England area...so I'll be driving A LOT.

So my question is...and I know its one that cannot be answered without further information...like where will you be?

Can I post the question here as to WHERE to get an oil change (a dealer that KNOWS Corvettes would be preferable) when I get closer to that low % number?

In that post I would say where I was and possible next destination.

I hope with all the Corvette enthusiasts across the nation and here I can find a reputable Corvette oil change.

Thanks All

See you in BG

Mike G
What mileage did you have on the car when you last changed it?

What mileage do you have on the car now?

The 65% reading does not tell the whole story. It could be there because of miles you have driven, or it could be there due to the time since you last oil change. If it is the latter, you have a larger range than you realize until you need the oil change.

Again, what you really need to do to get further help is to post how many miles your car had at the last change, and how many it has now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it has all of 2,300 mile since the last oil change. The last change was done when the gauge noted 20% and there was 6,119 mile on that oil.
Changing before I go would be like trowing money away....I'm going to need an on the road change anyway.

I will ask when the gauge reads lower and I know I'll get some good suggestions from the forum.

And as far as knowing my cars and when I consider a change needed...I've been doing this for some years now...I know.:redface-new:

Thanks guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
What mileage did you have on the car when you last changed it?

What mileage do you have on the car now?

The 65% reading does not tell the whole story. It could be there because of miles you have driven, or it could be there due to the time since you last oil change. If it is the latter, you have a larger range than you realize until you need the oil change.

Again, what you really need to do to get further help is to post how many miles your car had at the last change, and how many it has now.

To your point about the percentage rating being also due to time and not just miles, do you rely on the percentage gauge or the odometer, when deciding to change yours?

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
623 Posts
I would find the corvette dealers in the areas where you would be traveling and schedule appointment and you can always cancel. I also personally don't rely 100% on what % it is saying that is left.

I also take a visual look from the dip stick as I have found that because I haven't driven enough miles it still drops the percentage and because the oil looks almost as fresh when it was changed.

I sometime would ignore and go with my visual instincts which is something I have always done over 30+ years and never had a problem. Some people are anal or OCD about following EXACTLY the oil change schedule which is fine as well but I am a "calculated" risk taker and always believe the odds are in my favor of something bad would happen based on decisions I make.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,215 Posts
Every 4,000 miles or so for me, don't pay attention to the monitor. Have done 12 oil changes to date.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
To your point about the percentage rating being also due to time and not just miles, do you rely on the percentage gauge or the odometer, when deciding to change yours?
I go by the digital oil life monitor percentage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts