Registered
24 Posts
Mobile 1 with PF64 GM filter

Reactions: regguy1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After spending over two hours reading over info on three different sites on the web, I have deceided to use one of these 3: Mobile 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
After spending over two hours reading over info on three different sites on the web, I have deceided to use one of these 3: Mobile 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil.
The thread is about oil filters, not oil. I wasn't aware Royal Purple was doing filters now. The only filters I would consider are the factory PF64 and the Mobil 1 (what I use).

Regarding oils, I would add Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to the list. Their natural gas sourced base stock is a game changer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I used a Fram filter when I did my oil change and on the box it said something about use with full synthetic oil.
Dude, you need to go to YouTube and search for "Fram the Orange Can of Death".

I'll use nothing but a Mobil 1 Filter on my Stingray and my other vehicles.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I used a Fram filter when I did my oil change and on the box it said something about use with full synthetic oil.
15 years ago a Fram HP1 racing filter collapsed on my race boat and caused $5,000 worth of damage. I will never use a Fram filter again, EVER!

·
Registered
283 Posts
What's the number for the PF64 GM oil filter?

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you stick with the AC Delco filter, no weaselly service manager can ever tell you that your engine failure was due to using a substandard oil filter.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
What brand of oil filter are you using or plan to use on your C-7
For the C7, used the GM recommended AC PF-64. Bought mine from the local Chevy dealer since I could not find a PF-64 in a local auto store. I asked if I could get one "free" since I was not using the free oil change service (expecting a no!) Since the parts department is run separately the best they could do was a 33% discount! Believe I’ll use an aftermarket brand next time or buy a few on the net to cover shipping. If you’d like a 7 page picture PDF on a Z51 oil change look on this page of my website: netwelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm
Funny, in my ‘08 used a Fram and when I posted a PDF of the “How To…,” a colleague at work (was still working then) with a C6 saw my PDF and questioned the use of other than an AC! In fact there is a Wicks Filter plant in Dillon SC. When our local Tech Society went for a plant tour, they were making many brands of filters. It was impressive, with the production line running at high speed how quickly the color, labeling and box changed. Since we are in NASCAR country, it was mentioned they did work with some of the teams and built a product that took higher pressures and had less restriction. However when I asked Dale Inman (Richard Petty’s crew chief for many years) about the very light oil they use (below 0 rating as I recall) inquiring, “Will the motor last?” He said, “Sure it only needs to for 500 miles!” Perhaps a NASCAR filer works for them but perhaps does not filter as well, but they don't care!
We also toured Johnson Controls’ local battery plant. Same issue. At the end of the line there were over 20 brand labels that were put on finished batteries. I asked if there were differences, and was told sometimes the case color but also the warrantee each company decides to give!
Changing_Oil.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Right now I use whatever the dealer puts in for the warranty oil changes. I will use Mobile 1 or Pureolator filters once the warranty is over and will change to Schaeffer Oil Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-30. I have used Mobile 1 for many years but now I think the Schaeffer synthetic is a bit better and not as pricey as Royal Purple. The guy that I buy Schaeffer oil from is also an Amsoil distributor and he uses the Schaeffer oil in his fleet - says it's a better oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I plan on using a Mobil1 extended performance filter on my C7. From my research they offer superior construction and filtration.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you guys use a strap or a specific tool to remove the filter? I assume it's on too tight to remove by hand.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts