Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would say yes, you have a problem as there should not be any oil in the intake system. Is this a Z51?

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

How did you break it in (by the book, or drive it like you stole it)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1900mi, broke it in normal in that I waited till around 600mi to get on it

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you haven't read this thread yet you might want to look it over "The C7 and oil ingestion issues with Direct Injection"

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would venture to say that isn't normal. Of course that's based on the one I've looked at, mine at 5000 miles with not even a drop or film detectable in the same areas that are dripping on yours.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do that tomorrow, I haven't added any to it since getting it.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Will do that tomorrow, I haven't added any to it since getting it.

What he meant was that it may have too much oil in it.

There was another thread on here about dry sump oil systems blowing back, and someone said they plan to keep theirs in the lower half of the hash marks.

Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
What he meant was that it may have too much oil in it.

There was another thread on here about dry sump oil systems blowing back, and someone said they plan to keep theirs in the lower half of the hash marks.

Your mileage may vary...
That someone is me and I believe this is a classic example of too much oil in the tank.

This is not normal regardless how the car was broken in or driven and I would bet that the tank was topped off before all the oil from the top of the engine and sump had drained back into the tank. Follow the factory procedure for checking level but keep it well below the top of the hash marks and you should greatly reduce the chances of this happening.

I would be curious to know if there's any safe treatment to remove what's already been ingested before it cokes onto the intake runners and valve guides? In the old days you just run some injector cleaner through the tank but with DI that would never hit the intake runners.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today it's at the dealer.. Of course they asked if I had changed filter. Showed them pic w factory all messed in oil ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1396881147.296552.jpg !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was reading that, I posted in it too. I saw the option for catch can, etc there and info that oil is not good in this area of the engine. I am letting the dealer figure out why there is excess in my intake.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That someone is me and I believe this is a classic example of too much oil in the tank.

This is not normal regardless how the car was broken in or driven and I would bet that the tank was topped off before all the oil from the top of the engine and sump had drained back into the tank. Follow the factory procedure for checking level but keep it well below the top of the hash marks and you should greatly reduce the chances of this happening.

I would be curious to know if there's any safe treatment to remove what's already been ingested before it cokes onto the intake runners and valve guides? In the old days you just run some injector cleaner through the tank but with DI that would never hit the intake runners.
Cause or not, good point to bring up. The oil level in the Z51 with the dry sump requires that the engine be brought up to operating temperature before checking the oil tank level. I have checked mine when cold(not run in 2-3 weeks) and it shows low or not at all on the stick. When warmed up to temperature it's about halfway up the hatch marks where it should be. The manual is very specific along with cautions in section 10-11 thru 10-13 regarding the Z51.
I can see where this may cause problems if you don't check or change your own oil, or at dealers when the cars are prepped. I personally think GM should have a sticker with procedure steps on or near the oil tank.

Kurt

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Cause or not, good point to bring up. The oil level in the Z51 with the dry sump requires that the engine be brought up to operating temperature before checking the oil tank level. I have checked mine when cold(not run in 2-3 weeks) and it shows low or not at all on the stick. When warmed up to temperature it's about halfway up the hatch marks where it should be. The manual is very specific along with cautions in section 10-11 thru 10-13 regarding the Z51.
I can see where this may cause problems if you don't check or change your own oil, or at dealers when the cars are prepped. I personally think GM should have a sticker with procedure steps on or near the oil tank.

Kurt
Kurt; You raise a very good point here. I wondered about the thermal expansion of the oil and got a response that there was very little. Based on your experience it seems that there is sufficient expansion to create an over filled condition when the engine is hot. This points out that proper procedure is needed when checking the oil level in these dry sump engines.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Kurt; You raise a very good point here. I wondered about the thermal expansion of the oil and got a response that there was very little. Based on your experience it seems that there is sufficient expansion to create an over filled condition when the engine is hot. This points out that proper procedure is needed when checking the oil level in these dry sump engines.
The thermal expansion should be small, I would think. Isn't it just that with the motion of the engine turned on that the oil gets moved around, pumped, and pushed up and out?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The thermal expansion should be small, I would think. Isn't it just that with the motion of the engine turned on that the oil gets moved around, pumped, and pushed up and out?
I guess the answer to this question would be found if a few minute delay were taken before a hot engine oil level check. Does the book specify how long after shut down to do a level check?

·
Registered
145 Posts
This my take on reading the book and checking mine. Per the book, under normal driving conditions you should not exceed the upper limit of the hash marks when at 175 deg. operating temps. Under track or competitive driving events you can add .5 quart to that but must remove it when the event is over. If when cold and I or anyone were to inadvertently add oil to the tank to bring it up to the top of the hash mark, I suspect it would be pushing track levels based on the rise I've seen once at operating temps. I don't know how much you would need to add to "top it off" cold though as I haven't and don't intend to find out.

Kurt

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess the answer to this question would be found if a few minute delay were taken before a hot engine oil level check. Does the book specify how long after shut down to do a level check?
Yes, within 5 to 10 min. My owners book also has a two page supplement added to the front that replaces the original section 9 oil check under track and event driving.

Kurt

1 - 20 of 46 Posts